Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-05-2020, 05:21 PM   #661
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain skier View Post
We owe Uncle Sam some $- due by July 15. We have not sent in the $ yet. Is the reason we have not received our stimulus $- because we didn't send in 2019 return yet?
Nope. If you haven't filed 2019 yet, they'll look at your 2018 return.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2020, 05:31 PM   #662
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
Nope. If you haven't filed 2019 yet, they'll look at your 2018 return.
+1. If you haven’t filed they don’t know that you owe or what your 2019 AGI is.
Old 05-06-2020, 06:56 AM   #663
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Received my full deposit as expected as of this morning (5/6).
Old 05-06-2020, 07:14 AM   #664
Give me a forum ...

Just checked and we have a pending transaction from the IRS for $2400.

Of course while waiting for our stimulus, I kind of made my own stimulus with Stemline so now will be stimulating the IRS in the tune of $10,000 or more.
Fermion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 09:07 AM   #665
Recycles dryer sheets

Update: Received our $2400 deposit this morning. On schedule with the date they gave us. Now to stimulate our economy!
DektolMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 09:09 AM   #666
Give me a forum ...

We received our $2400 stimulus this morning. We have a list of local charities for this to go to--we are not keeping any for ourselves. So many people need it much more than us.
harllee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 09:17 AM   #667

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeter1093 View Post
I read that for the Treasury to make the necessary programming changes to NOT send the money to deceased taxpayers would have delayed the payments for ALL taxpayers; so they let it go, thinking they'll address it later. How they'll address it is an open question.

In my case, I was my father's POA. He passed last November. I did his final taxes for 2019. His refund was deposited into my checking account since he no longer had any accounts (being deceased). In mid-April, I got $1200 deposited into my checking account. Assuming it was my stimulus money, I moved it to savings. Imagine my surprise two weeks later, the treasury letter addressed to Deceased Dad, c/o me informing him they deposited his stimulus money 2 weeks earlier. So, whenever they get their act together, they can come claw it back. I didn't ask for it, they knew he was deceased; yet still sent it.
Got my deceased father's direct deposit on the 15th. Figured I'd stimulate the economy with the money by giving it to my kids (who really need it). I guess if the government wants it back, they know where I live.
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 10:36 AM   #668

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickA5 View Post
Got my deceased father's direct deposit on the 15th. Figured I'd stimulate the economy with the money by giving it to my kids (who really need it). I guess if the government wants it back, they know where I live.
The government has now provided instructions on how to return a stimulus check here: https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/econ...on-center#more

They don't actually say you're required to return it if the recipient is deceased though.
cathy63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 10:39 AM   #669
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
We have a list of local charities for this to go to--we are not keeping any for ourselves. So many people need it much more than us.

We are doing some of both, giving to charities and supporting local businesses that are being devastated during these times. I'm hoping they can stay in business.
DektolMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 11:06 AM   #670

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
The government has now provided instructions on how to return a stimulus check here: https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/econ...on-center#more

They don't actually say you're required to return it if the recipient is deceased though.
Thanks for the information.
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 11:18 AM   #671
Give me a forum ...

Mine showed up today in my acct. Yea...
Old 05-06-2020, 12:25 PM   #672
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemediceric View Post
Paper checks showed up in the mail yesterday. Two $1200 checks to wards who had died at the beginning of 2019 and a $1200 check to another ward who is a minor of 13 years old.

I'll of course be sending them back, but I cannot imagine how many undeserving people are receiving these checks and not saying anything.
I wonder if the 13 yr old should get $500 , as children do
Old 05-06-2020, 12:28 PM   #673
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
At the rate the gov't is handing out $$$, I want to get my share before they run out
It showed up in my account .... we even saved the gov't money by doing a lot of Roth conversions for 2018 that have lost value
But still got something
Old 05-06-2020, 12:45 PM   #674
Give me a forum ...

DF received his today just as they said!
Old 05-06-2020, 03:24 PM   #675

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post

DMIL received her paper check today, May 6. IRS said they mailed it May 1. So timing worked out well.

But it includes an extra $1200 for my deceased FIL. He died late December 2018. The 2018 return was MFJ and included his name, but we told Turbo tax he was deceased. TurboTax printed "Filing as surviving spouse" in his signature field. At the top of the return, it printed "DECEASED", along with his full name and date of death.

Also, SSA knew within days as the funeral home informs them even before death certificates are issued. His SS check stopped immediately. That was a year and a half ago.

At this point, it appears the IRS is "requesting" that people return the money. They have provided instructions for doing so. But there is no official mandate related to deceased individuals that I've seen and no published consequences for not returning it.

Certainly the CARES Act has no clawback provision for the advance payments. And technically, the payment was made correctly in accordance with criteria in the law. So this will be interesting.

DMIL is asking me what to do. They filed jointly, so just one check for $2400 made out to her. For now, I told her to deposit the whole thing and we'll wait to see if some more official guidance is issued in the coming days/weeks. Otherwise I'm inclined to just let her keep it. Frankly she needs the money as her finances have been very tight since DFIL died.
Old 05-06-2020, 03:37 PM   #676

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Hard to say what the issue could be. The website gave me "payment status unavailable" for the longest time, then finally accepted my 2018 numbers (even though I paper filed my 2019 taxes in March) and took my bank information. Then it stalled me for another week or so . Finally, just a few days ago, it said I'll get a deposit tomorrow 5/6/20. So I don't know what else to advise other than to keep trying.
That's about what happened here, except we E-filed. I kept getting "payment status unavailable" until, like you, it said we'd get the deposit on 5/6/20 a few days ago. It showed up this morning.

It's already been earmarked for new a hardwood floor in the family room that DW has been wanting for several years. $2400 won't pay for all of it of course, but at least a good chunk of it.
Old 05-06-2020, 03:38 PM   #677
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
DMIL received her paper check today, May 6. IRS said they mailed it May 1. So timing worked out well.

But it includes an extra $1200 for my deceased FIL. He died late December 2018. The 2018 return was MFJ and included his name, but we told Turbo tax he was deceased. TurboTax printed "Filing as surviving spouse" in his signature field. At the top of the return, it printed "DECEASED", along with his full name and date of death.

Also, SSA knew within days as the funeral home informs them even before death certificates are issued. His SS check stopped immediately. That was a year and a half ago.

At this point, it appears the IRS is "requesting" that people return the money. They have provided instructions for doing so. But there is no official mandate related to deceased individuals that I've seen and no published consequences for not returning it.

Certainly the CARES Act has no clawback provision for the advance payments. And technically, the payment was made correctly in accordance with criteria in the law. So this will be interesting.

DMIL is asking me what to do. They filed jointly, so just one check for $2400 made out to her. For now, I told her to deposit the whole thing and we'll wait to see if some more official guidance is issued in the coming days/weeks. Otherwise I'm inclined to just let her keep it. Frankly she needs the money as her finances have been very tight since DFIL died.
Technically, the way the law was written, deceased people qualify for the stimulus payment. They could have written an exclusion into the law, but they didn't.

Also technically, half of the $2400 is your DMIL's and half of it is your DFIL. So his $1200 should become part of his estate and be distributed according to his will or the laws of intestacy of his state. Which may mean that the money would go to DMIL anyway.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 06:29 PM   #678

Got our $2400 today. Thank God for Andrew Yang who championed universal basic income (UBI).
Old 05-07-2020, 09:24 AM   #679

We haven't received our stimulus check but I haven't sent in my first quarterly income tax payment for 2020 yet for pretty much the same amount. Do you think they will let me just call it even?

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 10:53 AM   #680

"We're checking the databases, but there could be a scenario where we missed something," -Steve Mnuchin

Tags
stimulus payment