Stimulus direct deposit, checks and EIP cards.

Keep getting "technical difficulties" notice when submitting my banking info. Now I am locked out for 24 hrs. No clue what is the problem. I did see that the zip code that I entered is different from what is on my tax return. It is the same zip code but on the return there is the extra - xxxx number and I didn't enter it that way. Maybe that's it. The only other thing I can think of is that I checked that I am getting a refund but entered 0 for the amount which is what is on line 21a that the instructions say to use. I overpaid and was due a refund but I applied it all to next yr's estimated taxes. I hope after 24 hrs in the penalty box I can figure it out. Otherwise, I guess I wait for the paper check. No big deal other than the frustration of this thing not working.

You're not the only one- I got this. After three times I'm locked out for 24 hours. Disappointing, but I'm not surprised.

I think that you are seeing the new message that replaces the previous "Payment Not Available" message. Apparently that was due to high traffic (although, they had a waiting room type of entry, so they should definitely have been able to control for that). Here's an article: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/15/irs-stimulus-check-tracking-tool-isnt-working-for-everyone.html

In most cases, this happened because the system was overloaded, Luis Garcia, an IRS spokesperson, told CNBC Make It.

“What happened is instead of having an error message or a message saying the system is very busy, it just says your information isn’t in here, that was the default,” says Garcia. But that should be fixed now.

Unless next tax return he files as a non-dependent.

Thanks, that's what I thought.
He needs to stay as my dependent due to not earning enough for the ACA and FLA doesn't have medicaid expansion.

I was able to log in to the site and enter the data. I filed 2019 taxes electronically last month and had the payment due taken out of my checking account. The website said they needed additional account information. Apparently, because I owed money this year and had it taken from my checking account, their fancy system does not recognize it as usable for deposits? Who knows?

I'm thinking you are waiting for a check.

The MIL is in the same situation. Her tax return comes out to nothing owed, nothing refunded.

I tried entering zero for refund, zero for taxes due and also not answering the question.....None of those responses accepted her direct deposit info.....So I guess it's all about the paper check.

All good and all grateful anyway.

Similar boat here. I paid my 2019 taxes by check. Never have given my direct deposit info to IRS. But I do get a direct deposit from SS into a checking account. But apparently IRS does not want to know about the SS dd info, and IRS thinks I have no dd info. So I am awaiting a paper check. I read somewhere that paper checks will be starting to go out April 24, 2020. Lots of VAGUE and incomplete wording about this stuff on the IRS website (as usual). But hey, IRS, I'm not complaining!

We are in a similar situation. We filed our return for 2019 and were due a refund, but we applied it to our 2020 tax liability. There is no way to account for this that I can find. The IRS does not have our direct deposit info, and there’s no way to enter it, so I guess we will be waiting for a paper check.

I completely understand your problem. I guess luck was on my side because the IRS site accepted my information and let me enter my bank information. The only way I can see a way forward for you is to fill out IRS form 8888. This form is for direct deposit for the IRS. Maybe ask your tax person to help you if this is even a possibility.

I don't know if the IRS will accept this form if not included with your tax return as that is the way it's supposed to be done from what I understand. Then of course it would need to be sent by mail to the correct address depending whether you got a refund or had to pay.

Stimulus Check Response "we cannot determine....."

Anyone get this response and know what it means when accessing the IRS Get My Payment site? We did not qualify from our 2018 return. We do qualify from our 2019 return.

Payment Status Not Available

According to information that we have on file, we cannot determine your eligibility for a payment at this time.

What if you chose either option and entered "0" as the amount?

I thought of that, but am reticent to try it, in case it is not the right approach. I'd rather wait and receive a paper check, than risk confusing the IRS computer.

OTOH, it might be worth a try..........

2400 extra in my NFCU account today.... Looks like we recieved our first COVID checks.

Are you expecting some more?

Not @aboatguy, but there has been some references by some in our federal government about a second round of checks in a few months. Nothing definite, but it has been mentioned.

Anyone get this response and know what it means when accessing the IRS Get My Payment site? We did not qualify from our 2018 return. We do qualify from our 2019 return.

Payment Status Not Available

According to information that we have on file, we cannot determine your eligibility for a payment at this time.

An article I read today quoted someone from the IRS saying that it means that the IRS site was overwhelmed. The IRS someone also mentioned that the situation has been corrected. Maybe try again tomorrow.

We’ve already spent some of our stimulus money. Within a couple of hours after confirming our money had been deposited I donated $250 to our local food bank. It was something that had been on my mind since I first realized weeks ago that we would qualify to receive the stimulus money. I know times will be tough for a lot of people and the food bank will need all the support they can get. Not exactly BTD exciting but we thought it was the right thing to do.

Last edited:
Filed tax return in late February with payment due deducted from checking account on March 10th. Daughter got her stimulus deposit but we didn't so I went on the IRS site to check on it and it says more info needed. :facepalm:

Entered the info, all of which came straight from the 1040 we filed. Now it says payment will be direct deposited.

Showed as "pending" in the account yesterday.

We are still getting "Payment Status Not Available" Message.... :(

No Deposit yet....

We are not sure they have our direct deposit info even though we paid taxes in 2018. Not files for 2019 yet.

I am reposting the link as it is a pain to keep searching all through this thread for. It used to be at the very beginning of the Thread. It would be nice if it was still there in the first post.

I cannot figure out how to enter the bank info from the link posted here as we just get Payment Status unavailable and no option to enter our data:

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payments

Last edited:
Stimulus direct deposits & checks - This is the thread. Don't start another.

SWR
You need to click the blue button that says “Get My Payment” and it will take you to a page to enter banking info. The directions and wording are confusing but they got this done very very quickly and it worked for me. My status changed to “payment will be direct deposited... status will be updated when payment is scheduled”

SWR
You need to click the blue button that says “Get My Payment” and it will take you to a page to enter banking info. The directions and wording are confusing but they got this done very very quickly and it worked for me.

Thanks, but no it does not. I have tried too many times to count. It just asks me to enter my SSN and Address then just spits out the status unavailable message.

This is the ONLY page I get, no matter how many times I try.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 30
We’ve already spent some of our stimulus money. Within a couple of hours after confirming our money had been deposited I donated $250 to our local food bank. It was something that had been on my mind since I first realized weeks ago that we would qualify to receive the stimulus money. I know times will be tough for a lot of people and the food bank will need all the support they can get. Not exactly BTD exciting but we thought it was the right thing to do.

Great idea!

It is easy to donate to some charities via internet with credit card donations.

so question for the smart ones here, what happens if you get a deposit for a deceased person ? I guess it will still get spent to stimulate the economy. I didn't see anything on IRS site in the Corona Virus area. Anyone see an authoritative source with info on this ?

If they have the social security direct depoit info. will they use that or send a check?

Back
Top Bottom