Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Stimulus direct deposit, checks and EIP cards.
Old 04-09-2020, 01:58 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Stimulus direct deposit, checks and EIP cards.

Direct deposits were supposedly starting today. Has anybody received a deposit today? I think the figure was 50m going out.
ripper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2020, 02:04 PM   #2

Nothing so far. We're assuming they're using our 2019 filing which was done back in late February. If for some reason they're using our 2018 filing, we won't see one, so I can't tell if we're a good data point or not. DW did receive her SS direct deposit yesterday, which was expected.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 02:04 PM   #3

Since I haven't had a refund in years and with no bank info on file I have no idea. All I know is that I'll get it one way or another.
Old 04-09-2020, 02:30 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I came across an article that stated that the paper checks would go out in AGI order; those with the lowest AGI would get theirs mailed first.
erkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 02:33 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
Since I haven't had a refund in years and with no bank info on file I have no idea. All I know is that I'll get it one way or another.
I am in the same boat, so I went ahead and paid my taxes early this year, via the IRS website, so they would have my acct and routing number.
erkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 02:38 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper1 View Post
Direct deposits were supposedly starting today. Has anybody received a deposit today? I think the figure was 50m going out.
There is no reliable source for this information, so I am inclined not to believe it. I would rely on IRS.gov or public statements made by the Secretary of the Treasury. The latter has said that they're hoping to and committed to getting the direct deposits out in the next couple of weeks.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 02:38 PM   #7

Even if direct deposits started today, you probably wouldn't see them show up until overnight.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 04:23 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper1 View Post
NO deposits in my bank account.

But, I did find 1200 mis-matched socks in my dryer.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 04:32 PM   #9

We had a large refund for 2019 taxes, but the gov and TurboTax delayed updating the "new" form for the solar panel/EV rebate program, so approval was delayed. The IRS then sent a check about 3 weeks ago, rather than using the bank info we included in the filing for 2019 (we've had refunds sent to the same account for the last 4-5 years).

So it will be interesting to see if a deposit is made or if we get a check.
RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 05:23 PM   #10

I think it takes up to 48 hours for the transfer to make it through the banking network. I would not expect to see it until this weekend.
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 05:24 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
There is no reliable source for this information, so I am inclined not to believe it. I would rely on IRS.gov or public statements made by the Secretary of the Treasury. The latter has said that they're hoping to and committed to getting the direct deposits out in the next couple of weeks.
I tend to agree. Although it has been widely reported by some media outlets, there is not a single OFFICIAL word on it. So, I am thinking it's more "misinformation" that has grown like a wildfire. Kinda like the story about the possibility of burying the dead in the potter's field in NYC. Although it was debunked at least a couple days ago (the source of the story was some Tweet) I still saw the story on the WSJ this morning. Just another great example of why I don't trust the media.
Old 04-09-2020, 05:29 PM   #12

can anyone link to something definitive saying "today". I've only seen 4/17.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 05:32 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
can anyone link to something definitive saying "today". I've only seen 4/17.
That's the problem. I did a pretty extensive search on the likely "official sources" (IRS website news release page, their FB and Twitter pages, etc.) and came up with nothing...even on the most recent press release (which is dated today). I won't harp on the media thing, but it just looks like more evidence that they will report a rumor to be the first one reporting it...then others jump in. Too much ad revenue these days...they GOTTA break the story, even if they aren't properly vetting it.
Old 04-09-2020, 05:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
...but it just looks like more evidence that they will report a rumor to be the first one reporting it...
But in this thread - there is no "they" - not that anyone has shown at least. I don't see anything saying a date other than starting 4/17.

We're all going off the OP's comment which has not been substantiated, and isn't, with a quick google search.
Old 04-09-2020, 05:42 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
But in this thread - there is no "they" - not that anyone has shown at least. I don't see anything saying a date other than starting 4/17.

We're all going off the OP's comment which has not been substantiated, and isn't, with a quick google search.
"They" are the media outlets that ARE reporting this... maybe I misunderstood what you meant?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bs.jpg (167.2 KB, 131 views)
Old 04-09-2020, 05:51 PM   #16

ah thanks. my google search didn't return those results. So I couldn't find a "they" to start with.

Odd that one of your links is USA today, when the article I found from them said 4/17...And the one in that link looks like it says only "other sources say it could be starting 4/9"

Anyway, I don't think anyone should expect to see it this weekend. these things tend to happen later than initial planning, not sooner.
Old 04-09-2020, 06:14 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
ah thanks. my google search didn't return those results. So I couldn't find a "they" to start with.

Odd that one of your links is USA today, when the article I found from them said 4/17...And the one in that link looks like it says only "other sources say it could be starting 4/9"

Anyway, I don't think anyone should expect to see it this weekend. these things tend to happen later than initial planning, not sooner.
No problem. I could rant about Google search results too...but I will spare everyone that pain.
Old 04-10-2020, 12:22 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

There is now information on irs.gov that they will be providing in mid-April a "get my payment" application that will allow you to check your payment type and status, and verify/update your bank information if you filed with direct deposit.

Also on that page is access to a form for non-filers to enter information to get the payment.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/econ...mpact-payments
Old 04-10-2020, 08:25 PM   #19

People are reporting on Bogleheads that they started receiving deposits in their accounts today.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 08:37 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Nothing and expected nothing.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stimulus payment