Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Stimulus- Sve it or spend it?
I'll be saving mine! 58 27.62%
I'll be spending it 52 24.76%
Maybe a bit of both 31 14.76%
I plan to give it away 69 32.86%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Stimulus-Will you save or spend it?
Old 03-22-2020, 06:40 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Stimulus-Will you save or spend it?

It certainly appears a stimulus in the form of a check is coming. So if you get one, will you save it or spend it?
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2020, 06:42 AM   #2
Administrator

If we were to receive a stimulus check it would go to the portfolio or emergency fund.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 06:45 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'd spend mine, to overcome the spending cutback I have put into place in recent weeks.
Lewis Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 06:45 AM   #4

If we receive one (I've seen different formulas on exactly who would receive $$), I would feel obligated to spend it.
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 06:45 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

still working, so zero chance of me getting anything from Uncle Sam. Hope my kiddos get something.

But if for some dumb reason I were to get it, I'd prob give it away.
Unpaintedhuffhines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 06:46 AM   #6

Add to existing cash as our expenses are fully covered now.
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 06:48 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

DW and I were discussing this yesterday. Our plan is to spend the money at local small businesses and restaurants if we can.
Old 03-22-2020, 06:49 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm self employed and unable to work for the forseeable future and am not eligible for Unemployment so I will use the check to pay the mortgage and utilities for one month. It won't go very far for people like me who don't qualify for the usual benefits.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 06:49 AM   #9

Since they are using 2018 income, which was pre-retirement, won’t get any. Not understanding the logic of this action based on income from 2 years ago. Why not give it, then qualify it at 2021 tax time. Make it clear that too much income means returning it.
Perryinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 07:02 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I don't know the rules they are using to limit it, but if we get any, I'd spend it on buying food and TP for some relatives that are in their 90's so they won't have to shop for months.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
Since they are using 2018 income, which was pre-retirement, won’t get any. Not understanding the logic of this action based on income from 2 years ago. Why not give it, then qualify it at 2021 tax time. Make it clear that too much income means returning it.
Is it 2018 they're using and not the choice of 2018 or 2019? If so, DW and I are out because of the taxable capital gains on our CA house sale late in 2018. It's just as well anyway. We're retired, drawing one SS check and one modest pension check each month. The crisis has not changed that one bit. The money would be better spent on those individuals and families that can really use the money.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 07:09 AM   #12

I know they want to get it out fast so it's hard to do much checking, but i'd prefer to see it go only to those who are affected by virus shutdowns. I can't believe many people on this site need any help. And yes, I know you could probably refuse it. You could also donate it to charity but it still adds to the national debt.

One thing I think I would support however, is some kind of payment to health care workers as a thank you when this is over.
garyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 07:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
Is it 2018 they're using and not the choice of 2018 or 2019? If so, DW and I are out because of the taxable capital gains on our CA house sale late in 2018. It's just as well anyway. We're retired, drawing one SS check and one modest pension check each month. The crisis has not changed that one bit. The money would be better spent on those individuals and families that can really use the money.
It's 2018 since 2019 has not been filed for a lot of people yet (and now won't be for a while). But that's the proposal - not yet passed. And I do worry how many folks are getting left behind in that, especially anyone who lost their job last year.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 07:11 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Semantics? Those who get them (not everyone), will deposit them. Only if you spend normal spending PLUS stimulus check can you say you put it back in the economy. If we got a check, I’d want to find a way to get it to displaced workers like servers. I appreciate everyone who’s still going to work on our behalf (e.g. healthcare) but they’re still getting paid.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 07:11 AM   #15

Good sized Roth conversions in both 2018 and 2019 will certainly reduce or eliminate our stimulus. Whoda thunk back then?
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 07:14 AM   #16

Until DW's pension check starts August 1, we are living off our short-term cash savings. Money is fungible, so.....
Old 03-22-2020, 07:15 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

If I get any stimulus check, it’ll go into my emergency fund so: save it.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 07:17 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
It's 2018 since 2019 has not been filed for a lot of people yet (and now won't be for a while). But that's the proposal - not yet passed. And I do worry how many folks are getting left behind in that, especially anyone who lost their job last year.
True, although in our case, we've already filed and received a small refund. If they decide on using the last filed return to make a decision and we somehow end up with a stimulus check, we won't bank it. We'll either help out people directly who could use the extra food or supplies, or we'll donate to a local charity helping people out.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 07:25 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
DW and I were discussing this yesterday. Our plan is to spend the money at local small businesses and restaurants if we can.
Same here. And will probably give very generous tips. I saw a report just this morning where someone in Arkansas left a $2200 tip on a $12 bill. How cool was that? I doubt I go all in like that but plan to add much more than normal.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:31 AM   #20

Spend, spend, spend...that's what it's for...to local businesses struggling to stay afloat.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote