Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Stock Market Woes
Old 05-18-2006, 08:51 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
I have to admit that I sucked in a little air when I saw the bottom line yesterday. Until i realized that it included the check clearing for the Pilot purchase.
A Honda Pilot? I've had my eyes on those.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2006, 09:00 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Cheap right now man...go to carsdirect.com...you might have to drive a couple of hours to get the price, but theres $2k in dealer cash out there until 5/31 that carsdirect is getting thrown into the deal...$28k base LX model for $22.5 plus TLF.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 09:01 AM   #63

I'm not looking (LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA!)--I might be tempted to do something instead of just stand there! Besides...
-- I'm pretty conservatively invested (60% equities).
-- I'm diversified.
-- DH is still working.
-- I got my 4 buckets:
------ Social Security Blanket Bucket (CD ladder to provide 5 years of SS--we turn 57 this year)
------ Main Income Bucket o' stocks to provide that 4% (30% US, 20% intl, 10% real assets)
------ FI Buffer Bucket to "launder" that 4% and provide 6 years of expenses: 2 yrs in MM account, 4 yrs in 2-yr CDs with half due in 1 year, half in 2
------ Emergency/Freedom Bucket (hybrid funds)
Old 05-18-2006, 09:17 AM   #64

Quote:
Cheap right now man...go to carsdirect.com...you might have to drive a couple of hours to get the price, but theres $2k in dealer cash out there until 5/31 that carsdirect is getting thrown into the deal...$28k base LX model for $22.5 plus TLF.
I know. I was shopping for a slightly larger SUV for my sister in law, and saw the Pilot that I would want for ~$23k at carsdirect. That's cheaper than the minivan I was considering. I'm waiting till the wifey pops out another couple of kids first. Then I'll be all over it. Hopefully gas prices will still be high then (to make the PILOT cheap).

How do you like it? Probably better than the Lexus honeywagon huh?
Old 05-18-2006, 09:22 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

I like it fine.

My wifes words after driving it "Its nice. But its no Lexus".
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:24 AM   #66

Not bad for 1/3 the price though
Old 05-18-2006, 09:26 AM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
A Honda Pilot? I've had my eyes on those.
Justin, sounds like you might have missed this thread where CFB shared with us his twisted self-justification of buying yet another new car this year adventures in buying his new Pilot.

Old 05-18-2006, 09:29 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
Not bad for 1/3 the price though
I tried that "You know, we could have two of those in the garage for the same price as the lexus"

(mystified look) "But why would we want that?"

She's a pro.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:32 AM   #69

Sorry I missed your earlier thread CFB. I was out of town for a week. I don't know if anyone mentioned it, but you may be able to get the rear seatbelts replaced in your car. My civic seatbelts have a lifetime warranty. Not sure if it protects against "dog chewing"...

Apologies for the thread derail!
Old 05-18-2006, 09:44 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

"So...i'm driving along and I tap the brakes...and that just happened to the seat belts! Just like that!"

About eighty bucks a piece and about 2 hours to put them in. But I could buy a much cheaper dog chew toy.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:01 AM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I tried that "You know, we could have two of those in the garage for the same price as the lexus"
(mystified look) "But why would we want that?"
She's a pro.
I'll say-- she has you thinking that you were having a conversation about cars.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 12:03 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Ha, so you are planning on selling what you have, buying puts with a lower strike, and sitting on the profits?* I'm not sure what I want to do.* I don't think the blood-letting is over yet even if we get a respite today.* I am looking for QQQQ to get to 37.50 or a touch lower before I would e willing to let my puts go.
I agree with you Brewer. Face it, a 25% drop from last week would get us close to 30. IMO, this is not impossible. My highest strike is 40, but I won't hold it all the way down, should QQQQs continue down. For one thing, my time value disappears, for another I am vulnerable to snapbacks. So I would dump the highest strike, and add to lower strikes (or not, if volatilities have jumped way up.) I have an array of strikes all the way down to 34.

Ha
Old 05-18-2006, 01:38 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
I agree with you Brewer. Face it, a 25% drop from last week would get us close to 30. IMO, this is not impossible. My highest strike is 40, but I won't hold it all the way down, should QQQQs continue down. For one thing, my time value disappears, for another I am vulnerable to snapbacks. So I would dump the highest strike, and add to lower strikes (or not, if volatilities have jumped way up.) I have an array of strikes all the way down to 34.

Ha
Gotcha. I'm just sitting on a pile of 40s, so I either have to decide to give up the scurity balnket, or affirmatively sell it and buy something lower. Since (as expected) everything continued going into the **** today after a little head-fake, I think I will be hanging on for a bit. Still doing some shopping along the way down, and I will eventually liquidate and use the proceeds to pick up some unconsidered trifles.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 01:46 PM   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Since (as expected) everything continued going into the **** today after a little head-fake, I think I will be hanging on for a bit.
Tech-- ouch.

Overall, a few gratifying exceptions-- PID is flat, Berkshire Hathaway is up over 1.5% (a huge gain for them), and I see EGLE is up another 1% from yesterday.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 01:52 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, I can't say that I find all of this terribly upsetting, given that we are talking about being less than 10% off multi-year highs.

- George Orwell

Old 05-18-2006, 01:54 PM   #76

Quote:
Yeah, I can't say that I find all of this terribly upsetting, given that we are talking about being less than 10% off multi-year highs.
You mean it's over now? Hooray!
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 01:55 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
You mean it's over now?* *Hooray!
Not until Ha stops shoving needles into the bull figurine on his desk.

- George Orwell

Old 05-18-2006, 01:58 PM   #78
Moderator Emeritus

What good news is going to spark the market in the near future? Swammi says down or flat for months to come. Putting away crystal ball now.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 02:00 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
What good news is going to spark the market in the near future?
What good news? You know we've hit bottom when forbes/Money/newsweek/businessweek have a cover that says "Are Stocks Officially Dead?" Look for that news.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:06 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
What good news is going to spark the market in the near future?* Swammi says down or flat for months to come. Putting away crystal ball now.*
I think the market is finally facing up to the fact that we either have rampant inflation or more Fed rate increases ahead of us. Its not the end of the world and earnings have by-and-large been pretty strong. Things will settle out soon. Call it another 5%.

- George Orwell