Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Stock Market Woes
Old 05-18-2006, 02:06 PM   #81
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
What good news?* You know we've hit bottom when forbes/Money/newsweek/businessweek have a cover that says "Are Stocks Officially Dead?"* Look for that news.
Oooh, ya! *I'll be selling the silverware to raise money to buy stock at that point! *
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2006, 02:38 PM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

http://intelligentspeculation.blogsp...lation_09.html
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 02:44 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien
What are the chances of stagflation happening
Probably pretty low.* *That memory is still fresh in the minds of the fed.* *In fact, it's why they are so reactive when it comes to inflation.* * They have a nuke called the Taylor Rule that is "guaranteed" to wipe out inflation.* *At considerable cost to the economy, of course.* * But the 70's taught them to take the pain up front rather than prolong it.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 02:47 PM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Dan, if Bernanke lives up to his moniker, inflation could indeed get out of hand. *But I tend to dounbt that will happen simply because there are enough inflation hawks at the Fed. *More likely, they will overshoot and push the economy into a (hopefully) mild recession.

The line I keep hearing is that we are less vulnerable to stagflation than in the past because the US economy is much less energy-intensive than it used to be (i.e. it takes less energy per unit of output now than back in the 1970s). *I think this is probably true, but I am not willing to bet the farm on it. *As such, I won't be selling my commodities or equity in companies that own/control real assets.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 03:26 PM   #85
Recycles dryer sheets

There was a report out of some brokerage last night saying that inflation numbers were about to get a 0.25% additional upward bias.

It's from housing. With the turn up in mortgage rates there are more renters, increasing rental demand. All of the housing data in inflation numbers derives from rents. That data did not reflect the housing price runup / bubble and now it will over assess inflation in housing at a time when home prices are dropping.

That portion of the measurement is bogus. If the Fed understands it, it will not influence them.
modlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 03:46 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodmail
If the Fed understands it, it will not influence them.
Well, if you believe the party line, it'll influence them heavily. It's widely believed that they have an inflation target for core inflation (ex-energy/food). Housing is part of the core, so if it goes up past 2% or so, the party line is for them to act fast and hard.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 04:45 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That portion of the measurement is bogus.* If the Fed understands it, it will not influence them.
Absolutely! We have removed energy and food from the core, why not housing? As long as we are homeless beggars eating in soup kitchens and walking around all day, it will perfectly reflect our buying patterns.

And if we wear out too many shoes, thereby threatening to bump up the clothing category, just substitute old newspapers. Imagine the warmth the Sunday New York Times could provide to our toes!

Ha
Old 05-18-2006, 05:04 PM   #88
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I'll tell ya what I don't understand.

The market was up about 5% in all of 2005. It was up about that at the peak last week. So this means that over a 17 month period there was less than a 10% rise -- and somehow, God knows how, but somehow people who lived through the 90's were talking about how this was an absurd runup and a bubble waiting to pop.
It's all relative. For those of us whose base currency is the yen, and with a heavy dose of Japanese stocks, 2005 was the second best year in the market ever, beaten only by the final year of the bubble of the '80's.

The Nikkei average has more than doubled in the past 3 years. On top of which, the dollar strengthened against the yen last year, giving me much better returns on my US stocks than you got. (It has since given up some of that gain, but I'm still well ahead.)

We're still a long way from the peak of 1989-90, but a little breather seems about due.

Quote:
And what's worse is those same people are now talking about the 4% drop of the last few days as if it was a "crash". These are people who saw The Great Crash of 2000 and they still are talking about 4% being devastating.
That I agree with. I didn't start investing until 2000, so I got used to regularly putting my money into a deepening hole from the start. Given how well cost-averaging through the dip worked out, I would love to have another, similar buying opportunity. The latest dip is not enough to get really interesting yet, but I can hope it is the start of a trend.

Bpp
bpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 05:41 PM   #89
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
That I agree with. I didn't start investing until 2000, so I got used to regularly putting my money into a deepening hole from the start. Given how well cost-averaging through the dip worked out, I would love to have another, similar buying opportunity. The latest dip is not enough to get really interesting yet, but I can hope it is the start of a trend.
And this is such an avalanche of bearishness that one is hearing everywhere. Bricks in the wall of worry?
modlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 06:05 PM   #90
Give me a forum ...

This is an option expiration week. Overall, this tends to be a plus week. So a weak day tomorrow might presage more weakness next week. Still, even if it is working downward, rarely does it go straight down.

Ha
Old 05-18-2006, 09:20 PM   #91
Recycles dryer sheets

The percentages are definately not that bad yet, but considering I bought $21k split among mid-cap, small-cap and the s&p on Friday, it's definately a blood bath from my perspective Talk about your crappy timing, eh?
NinjaPigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 11:44 AM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien
Send me a message when the time comes. Thanks.
Shoot, I forgot to include you on the list.

It was yesterday.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 12:47 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Shoot, I forgot to include you on the list.

It was yesterday.

You kinda hurt my feelings by forgeting me like that and then laughing about it.

Hey the smoked trout is working for me..having it right now on toast, cucumber lettuce & mustard...thanks for letting me know about that
Old 05-26-2006, 05:28 PM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Sorry man, I try hard not to hurt peoples feelings. Really, I do. Really.

Nobody was more surprised than I was that canned smoked trout would be decent. We keep about 10 cans of the stuff in the back of the pantry. Makes a mighty fine "what the heck am I gonna have" snack.

Makes a nice pate as well...little bit of horseradish, some cream cheese, bit of lemon, maybe a few drops of cognac...maybe a little minced green onion...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:53 PM   #95

Quote:
Sorry man, I try hard not to hurt peoples feelings. Really, I do. Really.

Nobody was more surprised than I was that canned smoked trout would be decent. We keep about 10 cans of the stuff in the back of the pantry. Makes a mighty fine "what the heck am I gonna have" snack.

Makes a nice pate as well...little bit of horseradish, some cream cheese, bit of lemon, maybe a few drops of cognac...maybe a little minced green onion...
I thought my whole week-end was going in the dumper, but thanks to your post, I'm doing much better now.

that pate sounds good too....and it looks from the post you were in the process of making it?...I'm picturing a younger version of Jacques Pepin.....remember to test the cognac before you mix it in
Old 05-26-2006, 06:58 PM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Nah, havent made it in a while. Search for 'smoked trout pate' and you'll find plenty of mostly compatible recipes.

If you ever find smoked bluefish, in about the same approximate recipe its nearly orgasmic.

Oddly, I like cognac in a lot of recipes but not so fond of it by itself.

I do go through a bottle or so over the course of a year between steak au poivre and various pates...
Old 05-26-2006, 08:34 PM   #97
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Nobody was more surprised than I was that canned smoked trout would be decent.* We keep about 10 cans of the stuff in the back of the pantry.* Makes a mighty fine "what the heck am I gonna have" snack.
Apres-hurricane food...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 09:06 AM   #98
Give me a forum ...

We have levy failures, flooding and potential mudslides here in place of the hurricanes.

And theres always that millions of years dormant volcano about 2 miles from my house.

Old 05-27-2006, 09:58 AM   #99
Moderator Emeritus

We are out in the MH and Greg and I just ate 3/4 of a pound of smoked lake superior salmon on crackers. To die for.

When we are less full, out for a bicycle ride.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 07:20 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...reg and I just ate 3/4 of a pound of smoked lake superior salmon on crackers.
Martha, isn't that the oily grey stuff that smells bad? When I lived in Chicago, I bought some and had to throw it away. You should try some Chinook some time.

Ed