Join Early Retirement Today

Stop Using Toilet Paper
Old 01-03-2011, 07:54 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Stop Using Toilet Paper

Just how committed are you to your financial goals?

Quote:
It’s not cheap. When you have a big family or people who just reel it off the roll, the costs go even higher. If you want to cut some money from your budget, there are ways to do without traditional toilet paper.
Stop Using Toilet Paper: Strange Ways to Save Money - Saving Advice
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2011, 08:02 AM   #2
gone traveling

And, for those of you so inclined, here's the organic solution...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg corncobs.jpg (32.9 KB, 14 views)
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:03 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Good grief.

One of the most unpleasant memories I have of my days in the military is being at an overseas location with several thousand occupants and running out of TP for three days. Grouchy doesn't adequately describe the mood...
Old 01-03-2011, 08:10 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm sure this was posted as an example of how bonkers people can get, or how bizarre articles can be.

The image of a bunch of millionaires and flush pensioners wiping their behinds with old rags is a better satire of extreme LBYM than I could ever hope to come up with.

I remember that old corncob or Sears catalog stuff from long ago, and I don't think it is very nice. I want a clean butt, clean beyond mere TP.

Ha
Old 01-03-2011, 08:17 AM   #5

Sounds like a pretty crappy idea to me !
Old 01-03-2011, 08:38 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

We spend around $15 per year per person on toilet paper (3 ladies in the house plus me). A luxury I would not give up in order to get me 0.003 years closer to FIRE. I try to encourage my young daughters to use less than 50 sheets per wipe, but that is mainly from a plumbing/operational desire, not a cost reduction desire.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:48 AM   #7

I ask my 96 year old FIL what was the greatest invention in his life time. I figured something like the airplane, autos, or maybe even television. Nope, Toilet Paper, and without a bit of hesitation.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:54 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

If I truly wanted to save a little money, I'd get rid of my internet connection. It would save significantly more cash, and I wouldn't have to read incredibly stupid articles like that one!
Old 01-03-2011, 08:56 AM   #9
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
If I truly wanted to save a little money, I'd get rid of my internet connection. It would save significantly more cash, and I wouldn't have to read incredibly stupid articles like that one!
Old 01-03-2011, 09:07 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Where is "three squares Sarah" to chime in?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:10 AM   #11

I can see it now instead of recycles dryer sheets, recycles corn cobs !
Old 01-03-2011, 09:14 AM   #12

Do you throw out the dryer sheets when they have been used multiple times? Spendthrifts.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:20 AM   #13

Guess one could always use recycled dryer sheets for TP, in a crack pinch, so to speak !
Old 01-03-2011, 09:27 AM   #14

Holy Crap! How are you supposed to clean out the washing machine/dryer now? There's plenty of articles about how to disinfect the germ/bacteria factor with the washing machine without adding more excrement to it!
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:06 AM   #15

I think I'll find a way to include the cost of TP in my retirement budget.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:07 AM   #16
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
I think I'll find a way to include the cost of TP in my retirement budget.
Hopefully, it won't wipe you out.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:13 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

TP is not an option! I love the comments below the article. "The ick factor"....

Costco. Toilet. Paper.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:16 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I'm sitting here with an intestinal bug, feeling like I got run over by a semi, running down the hallway every 20 minutes or so.

The thought of counting my squares got me giggling.

Thank you all for the cheap entertainment. I needed it.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:23 AM   #19
Dryer sheet wannabe

I wonder if this is one of those articles where the author has run out of topics to write because every other finance blog / money blog has written it, and she is going after the shock and awe factor.

You save pennies to spend many dollars by switching to any of those TP alternatives. The cheapest would technically be the water squirt bottle method, but not when you consider the insane amounts of hand washing you need to do to make sure you don't give yourself a stomach virus by accidentally ingesting left over E. coli from your hands. Good grief.
jstriding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:32 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
I ask my 96 year old FIL what was the greatest invention in his life time. I figured something like the airplane, autos, or maybe even television. Nope, Toilet Paper, and without a bit of hesitation.

Funny you should mention this as my mother told me when toilet paper first came out she bought a roll at a time. I gather this was a real treat then.
And to think we just take it for granted...