strategies for income

A related question -- what to do with a large chunk of cash.... I'll be closing a house in a couple of days, realizing a net return in the upper middle 6 figures. Will wire the funds to my money market account, but that's not paying much these days. Is there any place better to park the money in the short term? And, how would you cost average the bulk into stocks and bonds over the next year or two?
Where should I park the money Plan to retire in a year or two

Anyplace is better than money market funds. I'm at Schwab so I like using their Index funds. Very low costs and you can get in/out of most of them for free if you didn't like the looks of the market. I like ETFs and expecially tax free muni bond funds. In CA you can currently earn 6-8% tax free. There is risk but with ETFs you can put a sell order in at a level your comfortable with. Diversify with conservative ETF with stops. I would expect to make 6%. Smartstops.com will monitor 10 ETFs for you for $10 a month and recommend daily if you need to get out. You can decide if your have a long or short term strategy.

Also, what's this about an "annual lump sum"? When you were working, did you get only one paycheck per year?
Just to add (for the "youngin" out there :whistle: ) and being I'm retired, there is no reason to treat your retirement income/withdrawls any different than when you wo*ked, if you wish.

When I was still a wage slave, I was paid monthly (and paid my taxes due at that time). Now that I'm in heaven (sorry - retirement) I do the same.

Don't make it more complicated than it really is :nonono: ...

Anyplace is better than money market funds. I'm at Schwab so I like using their Index funds. Very low costs and you can get in/out of most of them for free if you didn't like the looks of the market. I like ETFs and expecially tax free muni bond funds. In CA you can currently earn 6-8% tax free. There is risk but with ETFs you can put a sell order in at a level your comfortable with. Diversify with conservative ETF with stops. I would expect to make 6%. Smartstops.com will monitor 10 ETFs for you for $10 a month and recommend daily if you need to get out. You can decide if your have a long or short term strategy.

I meant to say smartstops.net.

They monitor stocks and most ETF for long term and short term sell points and send out a daily recommendation. 10 for $9.95 a month and up from there.

Back
Top Bottom