Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-02-2017, 11:06 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I would not sell overseas facilities short too quickly. 6 or 7 years ago Dad had a bad concussion when vacationing in Mexico. He ended up at a hospital in Cancun that was maybe 5 years old, built to the latest and greatest specs, had all the latest equipment, and all of the doctors spoke English. He was in intensive care for a while and then in a regular ward for a week or so. Mom stayed on site at what amounted to a very nice/high end hotel meant for family members. When they finally cleared him to travel home, his doctor stateside was mightily impressed with the care Dad had received. This place was clearly set up for medical tourism, but I imagine that it is far from unique.

All that said, it is hard to live in the US without at least catastrophic medical insurance. Stupid way to run a country, but there it is.
Quote:
He ended up at a hospital in Cancun
Cancun is a Potemkin Village of sorts for rich touristos. Let's all go to Cancun for our medical needs!! Are we there yet?!!
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2017, 11:21 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
What is your plan if you get cancer that requires extensive treatment including surgery, chemo, and radiation?

Or what if you have a heart attack in the US and need to be rushed to the nearest hospital, and need emergency intervention?
This is kinda what I was thinking. Infrequent, planned visits or a non-emergent nature is all fine and dandy. but the $400k bill for that emergency that needed an ambulance ride, two separate operations, and all associated tests etc isn't something you can hop on over to Tokyo for.
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 12:28 PM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyt View Post
No mortgage , but will need a new car soon. We would like to move south.
I'm sure you probably already did but check out the ACA rates for the southern states you're considering. Mine only has one insurer offering a plan through the market place and it's very expensive - $1500-$1700 per month for a silver plan with no subsidies. Of course we don't qualify for any either so hi ho, hi ho it's off to w*rk I go.
Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 01:19 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
Cancun is a Potemkin Village of sorts for rich touristos. Let's all go to Cancun for our medical needs!! Are we there yet?!!
Did you notice I also said that you still need insurance to live in the US? I was just making the point that the US does not have a monopoly on high quality medical services.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 01:31 PM   #65
Administrator

Totally agree with Brewer on the quality of healthcare abroad. We lived overseas for many years, DW and the young'uns have received far more care there than here in the US, me about the same amount in each. I think there are many places around the world where care is just as good as the local care one receives here in the US.

Traveling anywhere for health care, domestically or abroad, is an option for services than can be scheduled, delivered in a relatively short period of time, with a lower risk for complications, and not needing require significant follow-up. Our health insurance covers this type of care, but that is not why we have insurance. It is for sudden, unscheduled, unpredictable, longer term, emergency, or chronic care need. The cost of care is high in the US, so insurance is also costly, but the impact of no insurance can be catastrophic, so we bite the bullet.

As a curious anecdote, twice I had to travel for emergency medical care, once with DS and once with DD#2. They were real medical urgent situations. For DS it took around 10 days to make the arrangements, and with DD#2 around 3 1/2 weeks. The individuals involved in the arrangements responded to my pleas for urgency with practiced indifference. I particularly recall pleading with airline employees as they left us stranded in Miami because of their delay getting there.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 02:37 PM   #66

I think people should consider moving to another state if they have FIREd and are paying huge health insurance bills. One advantage to FIREing is location independence.
jim584672 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 02:42 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdafly View Post
Multiple married couples, in different CONUS locations, pay on the average $175 for 2 persons per month for concierge medical service. When and if something is needed, a little domestic travel is required, all lab work is done via multiple online (no Rx needed from MD) pre-paid labs, we arrive to facility with PDF docs in hand, discuss diagnostics, plan ahead and book travel in case surgical or expensive additional diagnostics needed. Very simple and very cost effective.

No such 31% cost is incurred. Multiple people below poverty, at poverty, above poverty incomes or no incomes. Works for all of us.
What is CONUS
Lstansbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 02:46 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Love the info here, and by the way...I work in health care quality. The US is middle of the pack of industrialized countries when it comes to medical "outcomes". Just average.
Old 04-02-2017, 02:49 PM   #69
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lstansbury View Post
What is CONUS
Continental Unites States
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 02:49 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you!
Old 04-02-2017, 05:01 PM   #71

I would definitely check out the ACA for your insurance until you turn 65, this is what I am doing. Retired at 61 and have insurance through ACA which pays for the bulk of my premium. Although I have a nice retirement nest egg, I live off of Social Security and rental income. So far (2 years into retirement) I haven't had to dig into any of my savings.
SheitlQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 05:19 PM   #72
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You have done a great job saving 800K plus! You know how to save and live below your means. You will be fine to retire with that kind of savings.

I know many people that never ever had that kind of money and had great retirements. Make a plan and watch what you spend and I bet at sometime you will have more then what you retired on.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:00 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
You have done a great job saving 800K plus! You know how to save and live below your means. You will be fine to retire with that kind of savings.

I know many people that never ever had that kind of money and had great retirements. Make a plan and watch what you spend and I bet at sometime you will have more then what you retired on.
1+

Also, it depends on how you invest your money. Planning on low interest CD's will take more money than stocks/bonds. Real estate, owned outright and self managed, will take less. If your expenses include a mortgage free home and no car payments you can get by on less income. Add a lower cost of income location, perhaps much less.

A friend has a small union pension, free health care and a modest paid off home. Hasn't had a car payment in 30 years. Has very cheap hobbies. He has been able to get by on much less than you have ($15k income or so). But if he wants to go crazy and buy something big, (newer used car, expensive vacation) he takes a PT job for a few months. Many here would not want that lifestyle, but he has been "retired" since age 49 (13 years) and would not change anything for the world. He is very happy, and does not worry about "market returns".

In short, it's all about the income (plus your expenses), not the net worth or amount of invest able assets.
brucethebroker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 04:36 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdafly View Post
Why is it all about healthcare?

Our entire family (all born in US) take medical trips overseas. For example, recently, business class round trip to Narita/Tokyo for MRI. Total cash price including an overnight stay, including ticket, including labs/MRI results, under $1000. No insurance needed and everything was handled in english at high tech facilities. Have done the same for dental work in Colombia, Costa Rica, other family members used a surgery center in India with US trained surgeons and ultra-high tech hospital with private rooms and 5 star food service. Typical cost is less than 10% of US prices.

There is also surgerycenterok.com where bypass cost inclusive of ALL possible complications is 10,700 cash. No insurance wanted or needed.

Again, why is it all about healthcare?
You have to admit that's an extreme way to manage healthcare and most people won't go that way. I'll give it consideration, though. So you have no HI and just pay the ACA penalty? What happens when it goes way up?
garyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 04:46 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheitlQueen View Post
I would definitely check out the ACA for your insurance until you turn 65, this is what I am doing. Retired at 61 and have insurance through ACA which pays for the bulk of my premium. Although I have a nice retirement nest egg, I live off of Social Security and rental income. So far (2 years into retirement) I haven't had to dig into any of my savings.
Problem right now is, will the ACA be there in the next couple years? We could manipulate our income to qualify for the biggest subsidy. I'll wait till the air clears on the ACA or what's coming next.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:49 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethebroker View Post
1+

Also, it depends on how you invest your money. Planning on low interest CD's will take more money than stocks/bonds. Real estate, owned outright and self managed, will take less. If your expenses include a mortgage free home and no car payments you can get by on less income. Add a lower cost of income location, perhaps much less.

A friend has a small union pension, free health care and a modest paid off home. Hasn't had a car payment in 30 years. Has very cheap hobbies. He has been able to get by on much less than you have ($15k income or so). But if he wants to go crazy and buy something big, (newer used car, expensive vacation) he takes a PT job for a few months. Many here would not want that lifestyle, but he has been "retired" since age 49 (13 years) and would not change anything for the world. He is very happy, and does not worry about "market returns".

In short, it's all about the income (plus your expenses), not the net worth or amount of invest able assets.
No mortgage, paid it off ten years ago, no car payments but will need a new car soon. I'm about 65% equities, will go higher if there's a correction.
Old 09-01-2020, 02:42 PM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I'm looking for people who have retired with a sub $1 million dollar nest egg, no pension.
So many people on this board have huge money that I can't relate . I'm interested from hearing from people who've retired on much less.
Anybody here living on just savings and SS? My wife and I are just average joes, neither of us have ever made over $45K. We have a little north of $800K, will take SS at 62 getting about $30k total. Healthcare is keeping me working.
Just wondering if there are other people in the same boat?
You've done well accumulating $800K on a $45K salary + no mortgage + no car loans. Awesome !! Hope things are going well for you since 2017.
retired1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 03:06 PM   #78

Quote:
I'm looking for people who have retired with a sub $1 million dollar nest egg, no pension.
So many people on this board have huge money that I can't relate . I'm interested from hearing from people who've retired on much less.
Anybody here living on just savings and SS? My wife and I are just average joes, neither of us have ever made over $45K. We have a little north of $800K, will take SS at 62 getting about $30k total. Healthcare is keeping me working.
Just wondering if there are other people in the same boat?

Ok a bit late here but it's probably still relevant. I retried with a small pension+employer provided medical insurance + a stash. At the time I retired the imputed value of the pension & medical plus my own money all came in under a million. I retired in 1996.
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 03:39 PM   #79

Quote:
Problem right now is, will the ACA be there in the next couple years? We could manipulate our income to qualify for the biggest subsidy. I'll wait till the air clears on the ACA or what's coming next.

We should know by the end of June 2021, possibly sooner, whether the ACA stands or not when SCOTUS gives a ruling on the case they will be hearing in November. If it goes away, what comes next could be small pieces and/or a long wait. Most legal experts think the ACA will stand.
GenXguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 06:10 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired1 View Post
You've done well accumulating $800K on a $45K salary + no mortgage + no car loans. Awesome !! Hope things are going well for you since 2017.
Haha, when this came up in my email I was reading my original post thinking "this sounds like me" not realizing it IS me, lol. Things have sure improved since then. Retired 2 years and now up to 1.3 million. Can't believe it.