Swabb (Schwab)

I don't know about "by default," but when I log in to my Schwab accounts, there's a link at the very top, slightly to the right of center, that is labeled "My Consultant." I didn't choose the consultant. Schwab chose her, and she reached out to me. I don't pay any fees for the consultant, but I understand that she makes a bit for being assigned to my accounts. She has run some retirement calculations for me, and from time to time she invites me to a talk given by one of her colleagues.

Are you saying that you don't have a "My Consultant" link when you log in to your Schwab accounts?
I do not have a my consultant link. I opened this account at a branch. Will keep looking.

The "consultant" on the Schwab intro page when you sign in is simply a relationship manager. If I have a problem or a question, that person is a good point of contact and, to me, better that dealing with a 1-800 voice.

I understand that. My Schwab person is the same way. What I'm saying is that for providing these small services, the Schwab person is making a small amount of money based on the amount in my accounts. I don't pay this money to her out of my funds. Schwab pays it as part of their cost of doing business.

I do not have a my consultant link. I opened this account at a branch. Will keep looking.

Interesting. I always assumed everyone had one.

When I log in, the consultant link is in the red box shown. When I click it, it brings up her contact information.

Attachments

• Schwab.JPG
    Schwab.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 15
Probably has to do with the value of the account, that's fairly common. I know Fidelity and at least one more brokerage firm does that.

Interesting. I always assumed everyone had one.

When I log in, the consultant link is in the red box shown. When I click it, it brings up her contact information.
Just "Contact Us" which has a flyout menu for finding local branch/consultant and other contact methods.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    2.5 KB · Views: 7
I have used Schwab bank and brokerage since 1998 and am very happy. Along with refund of ATM fees they do not charge me the $25 fee to transfer funds to another bank within the US. This is a first step in the monthly process of transferring funds for living expenses to Switzerland, where I live, via the fantastic Transferwise facility. This perk might be related to account size...not sure...but I am not questioning it. It shows up on my statement as a debit balanced by a credit, which zeros out the fee. With respect to an assigned advisor, I had one which I never used, but lost the service when I moved out of the US. They said that they aren't allowed by law to provide financial advice to clients outside the US. The nonprofit I worked for in the States used TIAA-CREF for 403(b) retirement accounts and they also dropped my free account advisor when I moved for the same reason. Schwab really doesn't bother me with calls or offers, which is perfect for me. -BB

so do I real trust Swabb's FA............... NOT at all after reading the link.. The FA was not to excited when I wanted to put my money in a Vanguard mutual fund... I feel that I might go back to Vanguard.

Financial Consultants receive more compensation if a client is invested in a Schwab-affiliated mutual fund or one of the over 4,000 third-party no-load, no-transaction-fee mutual funds available through Schwab's Mutual Fund OneSource® service, compared to other third-party mutual funds for which Schwab charges a transaction fee. This is reflected in the table below based on Average Revenue Rates.

Financial Consultants receive less compensation for ETFs than mutual funds. They earn more compensation if a client is invested in a Schwab-affiliated ETF or one of the over 100 third-party no-commission ETFs available through the Schwab ETF OneSource® service (see table below) compared to all other third-party ETFs.

I have an account at Schwab where I keep individual stocks and individual bonds I hold. I have no mutual funds or ETFs. Other than the $8.95 per trade I pay them absolutely nothing. I contact "my consultant" only when an issue arises and he has been very helpful. I have wired money in and out of the account and the fees have been waived.

In fact we are attending (along with others) a six coarse dinner next week at a local restaurant with a wine pairing at each course paid for by Schwab. We also went to a pre-opening of the Star Wars movie in mid-December. We have not found them annoying in any way realizing they are just doing their job. All one must do is politely say "no" when they offer other services.

so do I real trust Swabb's FA............... NOT at all after reading the link.. The FA was not to excited when I wanted to put my money in a Vanguard mutual fund... I feel that I might go back to Vanguard.

I feel I have the information I need to make an informed decision. Your mileage my vary.

Back
Top Bottom