Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-15-2018, 06:14 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
IMHO it is all about what you get for the $. Danes and Norwegians don't complain about their high taxes because they believe they are getting good value.

Most of the articles I see complaining about taxes in California are written by people who live else where. In real life I rarely hear anyone complain about high state or local taxes here, at least around where we live.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2018, 06:18 PM   #82
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
Most of the articles I see complaining about taxes in California are written by people who live else where. In real life I rarely hear anyone complain about high state or local taxes here, at least around where we live.
But isn't there a significant amount of "voting with their feet?" Especially by retirees?
Old 09-15-2018, 06:24 PM   #83
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
But isn't there a significant amount of "voting with their feet?" Especially by retirees?
Why should I let them drive me out of California. I live here 45 years already.

I’m from California, not from some other states, yet I complain about the taxes, not somebody who doesn’t live here. Sorry I’m no Norwegian, nor Dane. It’s not all about what you get for your money. It’s all rubbish. If they had used the money for high speed train to build more reservoir, there will be less complaints.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 06:28 PM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Most of the people who leave the state do so for economic reasons: "Wealthier people and those from states like New York and Illinois are moving in by the droves to California while young people with less money are bailing out to states such as Texas, Arizona and Nevada, a report from the state’s Legislative Analyst’s Office revealed Wednesday."

Source: Leaving California: Here's who's moving out, who's moving in. - The San Diego Union-Tribune

Most of our retiree friends who sold up from the Bay Area stayed in California but moved to less expensive parts of the state.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 09-15-2018, 06:38 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
I have lived here almost my entire life. I also spent a few years working in local government agencies, close to where the sausage is made. Follow the money trail and you will understand how the system works. Politicians know you will vote to raise taxes for schools, parks, libraries, and public transit. Very little of the money raised by the taxes your vote for goes where you believe it is going. Are your roads less congested? Is your air any cleaner? Is your library open more hours? Schools doing a better job? No, of course not. That's not where the money goes.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 06:51 PM   #86

There have been numerous reports posted on this at this site in the last year. Every study has different criteria and thus different results. All the factors listed so far on this thread are much superior to any of the published studies I have seen. I do recall there was a study that had some county in the heart of the Appalachian Mountains of West Virginia or Kentucky that was the totally cheapest county to live in the USA. But I can't find the study right now.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:15 PM   #87

I’ve lived in several states. You get what you pay for.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:29 PM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
I have lived here almost my entire life. I also spent a few years working in local government agencies, close to where the sausage is made. Follow the money trail and you will understand how the system works. Politicians know you will vote to raise taxes for schools, parks, libraries, and public transit. Very little of the money raised by the taxes your vote for goes where you believe it is going. Are your roads less congested? Is your air any cleaner? Is your library open more hours? Schools doing a better job? No, of course not. That's not where the money goes.
Auditing government agencies isn't a part of my retirement plan. State taxes just aren't a big budget buster for our retirement plan. We have Prop 13 and SS isn't taxed, groceries aren't taxed, I don't buy a lot of consumer goods and some of what I do buy is from thrift shops and not taxed. We will get hit with taxes on RMDs but I've budgeted for that.

I do know this month I have free passes for a Cal Shakes play and the Oakland Zoo from the local library. I also just signed up for Great Courses streaming from the library. We will probably go to a state park in Napa next weekend using our state parks pass. If we only did activities at the state and regional parks, libraries and senior centers with public entities we could still have a really fun retirement mostly on the tax payer's dime.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:31 PM   #89
Give me a forum ...

I moved from Detroit to CA when I was 23. No plans to leave anytime soon.

Maybe after I'm dead someone will move my ashes -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:42 PM   #90

I suspect somebody here doesn’t pay a lot of taxes, that’s why so brave to say I vote for tax increase. Yeah right. Read in between the line is I pay zero tax or minimum at best, but I vote for the increase so all you suckers out there have to pay. I understand now.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:50 PM   #91
Give me a forum ...

I pay lots of taxes, last year sixteen grand to the feds and eleven grand to the state. I vote for tax increases. I like paying taxes to help my country and my state.

What's your problem?
Old 09-15-2018, 07:57 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I pay lots of taxes, last year sixteen grand to the feds and eleven grand to the state. I vote for tax increases. I like paying taxes to help my country and my state.

What's your problem?
I don’t mean you. Read a few posts earlier. I’m sure you pay a lot of taxes. For the records, I never vote for tax increase, I know plenty will vote for the increase for me, so why bother.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:00 PM   #93

If I were paying Prop 13 taxes only, my property tax would be 65 percent of what it is. Fees, parcel taxes, new bonds (the proceeds of which are largely drained off for other purposes) account for over a third of my property taxes.

My state income tax is not that high because Social Security is not taxed and I work the depreciation on the rental real estate to the maximum. The sales tax and property tax together are probably four to five times what I pay in income tax.

What do I get for my money? Overcrowding everywhere, high crime, drug addicts, alcoholics and mentally ill people living on the streets, polluted air, impossible traffic and so on. California, particularly the Bay Area, was a good place to live until the mid or late 80's. Not today.

Our definitions of quality of life differ. I don't go to local parks any longer because the homeless have made them unsafe. To go to Napa would likely mean four hours in traffic, especially on a weekend. I would not go to the Oakland zoo because of the crime in the area. I'm not sure there is any ideal place today, but my choice would be a cleaner, less crowded, and safer place to live.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:04 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post

What's your problem?
If they helped California, I wouldn't mind paying the taxes. Money ends up in the wrong hands and life here gets worse, not better. I want tax money to be spent improving our quality of life here.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:07 PM   #95

Not only that, new tax on gasoline, 100% renewable energy, all this is tax for the poor. From an article from WSJ, Californians pay the highest or one of the highest in electricity rate. But the poor is too dumb to know, keep voting for the tax crowds.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:11 PM   #96

I guess my point is that you have to balance quality of life against taxes. High taxes and deteriorating quality of life make a place a lot less desirable. For me, high taxes and below zero winters would be a non-starter. Low taxes, high crime, and lack of public services also a no-go.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:20 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

You guys should blow town me thinks. Get out while the gettin' is good, before the crash eh?

Meanwhile back in the other states California dreamin' is still happening.

Yeah, it's crowded, like the parking lot of a good restaurant no? But hey we're retired and the freeways are open from 10 to 2.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:45 PM   #98
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, we moved TO a high tax state (Hawaii) when we retired. But I was sick of living in miserable weather (Seattle) so it was worth it to me. No heating or AC bills kind of makes up for it though.
TwoByFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:48 PM   #99

2x4,you must live very close to the beach because we had A/C in Maui, ocean view condo too.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:02 PM   #100
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
2x4,you must live very close to the beach because we had A/C in Maui, ocean view condo too.
We live on the weather side so we have trade winds blowing all the time. When it is 90+ in Kihei it is 80 at our house, which for me is just right.
TwoByFour is offline   Reply With Quote