Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-16-2018, 12:03 PM   #121
Gone but not forgotten

It was a long time ago, but back in the 1980's my business took me from Chicago to CA for about three years. Many times, instead of flying home for the weekend, I'd drive the mountains of CA... Placerville was a favorite stopping place, as one of my district managers lived there. We spent lots of time exploring within 150 miles. .
It was on my very short list of places to retire.
Very fond memories. I
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2018, 12:13 PM   #122
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post

Different strokes for different folks. For me, the politicians here in Illinois are slimeballs, the state is on the brink of bankruptcy and the weather (from Dec. thru much of March) is depressing. Also, RE taxes are high. I would move in a heartbeat but wife won't budge.

One good thing - Illinois does not tax retirement benefits or ss . Given it's financial issues, would not surprise me this scenario changes very shortly.
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 12:16 PM   #123
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When we go to Placerville we leave on Wednesday and return home on Monday to avoid the traffic. We have a motor home and a very nice KOA is there. They are getting expensive as well with us paying between 63-73/night depending on the day of the week.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 01:35 PM   #124
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
And snakes and fireants...

Anyone on here from Wyoming?
I like the Tetons and Medicine Bow areas. How does Wyoming 'get ya'?
Wyoming native here.

The State routinely makes lists of "best places to retire" for a variety of reasons -- e.g., low tax burdens, quality of life, etc. https://money.cnn.com/gallery/retire...ent/index.html. Wyoming is also a tax-friendly jurisdiction. https://smartasset.com/retirement/wy...tirement-taxes.

It isn't for everybody though (and we like it that way), and these decisions are highly personal, of course. But if you like the outdoors, prefer pronghorn antelope to people, can cope without having a shopping mall within 240 miles, and can cope with the occasional -40F day in winter, it's wonderful. We love it.
WyomingLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 03:08 PM   #125
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
We live in the Placerville area and it's become nuts every fall during 'Apple Hill' season. When our kids were young, their soccer games were on weekends and it was impossible to get through the bay area traffic coming to experience the country livin'. Many games were forfeited when a team could not be assembled to take the field. That was 20 years ago. It's steadily gotten worse after a brief reprieve during the recession. Being retired, I go up to High Hill Ranch mid week in the morning for my apple fritter and a cup of coffee.

The town government won't stand for a bypass of Hwy50, the major interstate that runs through town with 3 stop lights. This is a huge part of the problem. If there was a by-pass, wouldn't be nearly so bad, but the merchants on Main St. will never allow that to happen. Sunday afternoon/evenings are worst as the bay area crowd returns from Tahoe. The area is also growing fast in the wine industry, which I actually live closer to; Shenandoah Valley in the south county area of El Dorado. Steady traffic on Hwy 49 all weekend long with most of it loud Harley motorcycles and weekend wanna-be bikers.
IIRC, you lost your last house in a wildfire. Living in that area, do you fear another fire? I have never been to the Shenandoah Valley area, but it is very pretty. Looks very peaceful, except for the traffic. No idea it was full of wineries. What about the distance to services? Hospital? Grocery stores?
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 03:21 PM   #126
Confused about dryer sheets

the property tax on that property in Georgia / gwinnett county would be about 3,200....
johncasey37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 03:24 PM   #127
Confused about dryer sheets

KOA is too expensive. First look for state and federal, then private campgrounds. We only stay in a KOA (always near the expressway) out of necessity not choice.
johncasey37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 03:48 PM   #128
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
IIRC, you lost your last house in a wildfire. Living in that area, do you fear another fire? I have never been to the Shenandoah Valley area, but it is very pretty. Looks very peaceful, except for the traffic. No idea it was full of wineries. What about the distance to services? Hospital? Grocery stores?

You might want to checkout the crime rate, since that seems to be a priority for you (Placerville is around average for the state):

California Crime Index City Rank
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 03:54 PM   #129
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
But isn't there a significant amount of "voting with their feet?" Especially by retirees?
That is pretty much what I did.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:19 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
But isn't there a significant amount of "voting with their feet?" Especially by retirees?
That's exactly what we did, moving from near the Washington, D.C. area to WV. The idiots in the state and county legislatures kept allowing more building without adequate infrastructure to support it so traffic was getting worse and worse. And we thought the area was starting to generally decline. I retired July 1, 2002 and by mid-September we were in WV.

About six weeks later I had to take DW for a doctor's appointment on the other side of town and we got out about 5:00 PM on a Friday afternoon. Not yet knowing all the back roads, I took a route straight through downtown. All the traffic lights were green (okay, that was a fluke, doesn't happen often) and we were home in 10-15 minutes. I thought "I have died and gone to heaven!" The same distance drive at the same time near D.C. would take 45 minutes to an hour.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:08 PM   #131
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
You might want to checkout the crime rate, since that seems to be a priority for you (Placerville is around average for the state):

California Crime Index City Rank
My questions was directed to skipro, and was not about crime.

Relying on statistics can be dangerous. I prefer to talk to people that live in the area, check the security measures taken by residents and look at the shopping centers and the cars in the lots to get a good idea of the local issues.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 05:47 PM   #132
Give me a forum ...

John, we use public campgrounds when camping but private ones on vacation where we don’t want to be dirty. Maltese have hair so the dirt gets in their hair and then we are all dirty. The private ones have grass or cement usually.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:48 PM   #133
Give me a forum ...

Plus they have pool, hot tub, store and cheap breakfast on the weekend)
Old 09-16-2018, 06:50 PM   #134
Recycles dryer sheets

Can't hide from Taxes... they get you one way or another. In northern IL/WI border, you can go to WI for shopping & pay ~2-3% lower sales tax. Many live in WI and work in IL to save $s.
retired1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:30 PM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Many people work in Chicago and live in Kenosha due to the lower cost of housing.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:44 PM   #136
Give me a forum ...

I live in the central valley and worked in the bay area, brutal commute!

But now I'm retired with a free house, close to the delta, the gun club, sporting clays, Reno and still only a half hour from the "Bay Area" which is Livermore as the realtors sold it -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:31 PM   #137
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
When we go to Placerville we leave on Wednesday and return home on Monday to avoid the traffic. We have a motor home and a very nice KOA is there. They are getting expensive as well with us paying between 63-73/night depending on the day of the week.
Whoa! No wonder you were complaining about campground prices! Although KOAs have always been way more expensive than most RV Parks.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:49 PM   #138
Give me a forum ...

Since the area is so popular in October the prices are higher every year.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:27 PM   #139
Give me a forum ...

I looked. For a hundred fifty I can stay at a B&B with an excellent breakfast.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 09:56 PM   #140
Give me a forum ...

I can’t do that with 2 Maltese and a 80lb shedding machine)