Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
SWR article in Barron's
Old 08-31-2018, 07:00 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
donheff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 9,611
SWR article in Barron's

This is an interesting article in Barron's cautioning retirees about the 4% rule. It starts out pretty alarmist, saying this is the worse time to retire since before the dot com bubble. But despite the bleak intro the article then covers the standard ground of Wade Pfau, Guyton, et al in a manner familiar to most of us here. I found the Morningstar chart below that purports to set out conservative initial SWR percentages pretty reassuring given the bleak intro.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SWRChart.JPG (55.5 KB, 175 views)
__________________

__________________
Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson
donheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2018, 07:10 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.
cooch96's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Lakewood
Posts: 800
Thank you. I do find these sorts of charts and tables reassuring.
__________________

__________________
Why be normal when you can be yourself?
cooch96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 07:11 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Tampa
Posts: 5,137
Interesting chart. It might be even a little more conservative than it appears, as it is based on a 40/60 AA with a decreasing stock glidepath.
__________________
TGIM
Dtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 07:50 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
flintnational's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Atlanta Suburb
Posts: 1,350
Good article. Thanks for posting.
__________________
"Oh, twice as much ain't twice as good
And can't sustain like one half could
It's wanting more that's gonna send me to my knees" - John Mayer
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 08:24 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.
jimbee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 616
A lot of fear-mongering and scare tactics in that article. So Wade Pfau says the 4% result from the Trinity Study only works two thirds of the time, even though the study said it worked 95% of the time. The basis for the discrepancy isn't given. A bunch of other hand waving, without presenting the analytical basis of the numbers.


Maybe I'm misinterpreting what was presented.
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 08:58 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,505
People who post here know that this comparison is just wrong.

Quote:
Whatís more, every year (until you turn 70) that you delay claiming your benefits, the amount youíre entitled to grows 8%. Thatís a far better return than youíll likely get on stocks,
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 09:14 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,505
The chart in the OP is for people "comfortable with fluctuations in annual income".

Unfortunately, the Barron's article does not say how much fluctuation you need to be comfortable with.

Do I need to be comfortable with a 50% drop? or a 10% drop?

The article did not provide a link to the Morningstar source.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 09:16 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
donheff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 9,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post
People who post here know that this comparison is just wrong.
That's a good point. We discuss the issue ad naseum so most regular readers know the factors that matter. But lots of articles take the amount of difference at 70 vs FRA and treat that as if it's a percentage growth in the ROI completely neglecting the actuarial neutrality due to differing expected terms.
__________________
Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson
donheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 09:23 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Tampa
Posts: 5,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbee View Post
A lot of fear-mongering and scare tactics in that article. So Wade Pfau says the 4% result from the Trinity Study only works two thirds of the time, even though the study said it worked 95% of the time. The basis for the discrepancy isn't given. A bunch of other hand waving, without presenting the analytical basis of the numbers.


Maybe I'm misinterpreting what was presented.
Not sure but I think Pfau in general seems to always refer to each stock market on a global basis vs. just the US stock market.
__________________
TGIM
Dtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 09:30 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
VanWinkle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Brighton
Posts: 1,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post
People who post here know that this comparison is just wrong.
They are likely comparing to recent projected stock returns for the next ten years, which have been in the 5% nominal range. Just remember, "nobody knows nuthin".

It is interesting how they use the base expenses and guaranteed income % to determine the withdrawal rate. It makes it a little more customized to each situation.

VW
__________________
Retired May 13th(Friday) 2016 at age 61.
VanWinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 10:04 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets
latexman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Apex
Posts: 274
I've tried to find the article by MorningStar's David Blanchett that is the basis for the chart in the OP, but could not pinpoint it. I did see some related articles, but without that particular chart or data leading to that chart. Now after about 2-3 visits to the website, when I click the Barron's link, I'm locked out, unless I subscribe. I can clear cache and get back in (I think), but if anyone finds/has the article or a link, please post it. It will be greatly appreciated.
latexman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 10:05 AM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Utrecht
Posts: 2,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Not sure but I think Pfau in general seems to always refer to each stock market on a global basis vs. just the US stock market.
Doesn't he also put in higher expense ratios?
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 12:02 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Tampa
Posts: 5,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
Doesn't he also put in higher expense ratios?
Yes I believe you are correct.
__________________
TGIM
Dtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 12:14 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
They are likely comparing to recent projected stock returns for the next ten years, which have been in the 5% nominal range. Just remember, "nobody knows nuthin".

It is interesting how they use the base expenses and guaranteed income % to determine the withdrawal rate. It makes it a little more customized to each situation.

VW
I suppose that's possible. I think their wording suggests something else.

If you are right, they should have said "Deferring SS provides a better return than the 5% nominal return (3% real return) we're expecting on stocks over the next couple decades."
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 03:21 PM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
walkinwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 3,021
Good article. Thanks for posting.


The table is very conservative. Read the fine print. 40/60 with decreasing equity allocation over time. Interestingly, the article cites Kitces who advises an increase in equity allocation with age.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 07:07 PM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 23,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
Doesn't he also put in higher expense ratios?
Yes, at least 1%, I believe.
__________________
Retired since summer 1999.
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 07:21 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 9,834
I just wanted to link the best set of articles on SWR that I've ever read on the internet even if I have linked them before:

ERN's Ultimate Guide to Safe Withdrawal Rates

This set of articles covers everything that I ever wanted to know and needed to know with critiques of all the other articles that you might want to read or have already read. And by "critiques" I mean that the good things and bad things are discussed.

Lots of food for thought in this set of articles.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 08:38 PM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Long Island
Posts: 1,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
I just wanted to link the best set of articles on SWR that I've ever read on the internet even if I have linked them before:

ERN's Ultimate Guide to Safe Withdrawal Rates

This set of articles covers everything that I ever wanted to know and needed to know with critiques of all the other articles that you might want to read or have already read. And by "critiques" I mean that the good things and bad things are discussed.

Lots of food for thought in this set of articles.
I just started looking at these. They look good to me, but they it will probably take me a while!
__________________
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
MarieIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 08:47 PM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
Good article. Thanks for posting.


The table is very conservative. Read the fine print. 40/60 with decreasing equity allocation over time. Interestingly, the article cites Kitces who advises an increase in equity allocation with age.
I'm not sure what "conservative" means in this case. The table is for people who have spending flexibility. But, it doesn't specify how much. A simple "percent of current balance" withdrawal strategy will last forever, if you have enough flexibility to take the downside.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 08:55 PM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Tampa
Posts: 5,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post
I'm not sure what "conservative" means in this case. The table is for people who have spending flexibility. But, it doesn't specify how much. A simple "percent of current balance" withdrawal strategy will last forever, if you have enough flexibility to take the downside.
I mentioned the conservative reference also and for me I meant that most folks probably don't follow a 40/60 AA with a decreasing equity glide ratio aka most folks on this forum use a higher equity %.
__________________

__________________
TGIM
Dtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rethinking Retirement Rules - Barron's 6/2/18 gcgang FIRE and Money 21 06-05-2018 04:39 PM
Barron's crystal ball article ! frayne FIRE and Money 6 12-27-2017 02:53 PM
Barron's Negative Toward Timberland haha FIRE and Money 0 08-08-2009 04:10 PM
Barron's article: America for Sale: Price Reduced Orchidflower FIRE and Money 8 10-12-2008 03:57 PM
Berkshire Hathaway in the wake of Barron's Nords Stock Picking and Market Strategy 5 12-23-2007 08:01 AM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:13 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×