Join Early Retirement Today

SWR article in Barron's
Old 08-31-2018, 07:00 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

SWR article in Barron's

This is an interesting article in Barron's cautioning retirees about the 4% rule. It starts out pretty alarmist, saying this is the worse time to retire since before the dot com bubble. But despite the bleak intro the article then covers the standard ground of Wade Pfau, Guyton, et al in a manner familiar to most of us here. I found the Morningstar chart below that purports to set out conservative initial SWR percentages pretty reassuring given the bleak intro.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SWRChart.JPG (55.5 KB, 175 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2018, 07:10 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thank you. I do find these sorts of charts and tables reassuring.

Old 08-31-2018, 07:11 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Interesting chart. It might be even a little more conservative than it appears, as it is based on a 40/60 AA with a decreasing stock glidepath.
Old 08-31-2018, 07:50 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Good article. Thanks for posting.
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 08:24 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

A lot of fear-mongering and scare tactics in that article. So Wade Pfau says the 4% result from the Trinity Study only works two thirds of the time, even though the study said it worked 95% of the time. The basis for the discrepancy isn't given. A bunch of other hand waving, without presenting the analytical basis of the numbers.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting what was presented.
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 08:58 AM   #6

People who post here know that this comparison is just wrong.

Quote:
Whatís more, every year (until you turn 70) that you delay claiming your benefits, the amount youíre entitled to grows 8%. Thatís a far better return than youíll likely get on stocks,
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 09:14 AM   #7

The chart in the OP is for people "comfortable with fluctuations in annual income".

Unfortunately, the Barron's article does not say how much fluctuation you need to be comfortable with.

Do I need to be comfortable with a 50% drop? or a 10% drop?

The article did not provide a link to the Morningstar source.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:16 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post
That's a good point. We discuss the issue ad naseum so most regular readers know the factors that matter. But lots of articles take the amount of difference at 70 vs FRA and treat that as if it's a percentage growth in the ROI completely neglecting the actuarial neutrality due to differing expected terms.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:23 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbee View Post
A lot of fear-mongering and scare tactics in that article. So Wade Pfau says the 4% result from the Trinity Study only works two thirds of the time, even though the study said it worked 95% of the time. The basis for the discrepancy isn't given. A bunch of other hand waving, without presenting the analytical basis of the numbers.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting what was presented.
Not sure but I think Pfau in general seems to always refer to each stock market on a global basis vs. just the US stock market.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:30 AM   #10

Quote:
They are likely comparing to recent projected stock returns for the next ten years, which have been in the 5% nominal range. Just remember, "nobody knows nuthin".

It is interesting how they use the base expenses and guaranteed income % to determine the withdrawal rate. It makes it a little more customized to each situation.

VW
Old 08-31-2018, 10:04 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I've tried to find the article by MorningStar's David Blanchett that is the basis for the chart in the OP, but could not pinpoint it. I did see some related articles, but without that particular chart or data leading to that chart. Now after about 2-3 visits to the website, when I click the Barron's link, I'm locked out, unless I subscribe. I can clear cache and get back in (I think), but if anyone finds/has the article or a link, please post it. It will be greatly appreciated.
latexman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 10:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Not sure but I think Pfau in general seems to always refer to each stock market on a global basis vs. just the US stock market.
Doesn't he also put in higher expense ratios?
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 12:02 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
Yes I believe you are correct.
Old 08-31-2018, 12:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
They are likely comparing to recent projected stock returns for the next ten years, which have been in the 5% nominal range. Just remember, "nobody knows nuthin".

It is interesting how they use the base expenses and guaranteed income % to determine the withdrawal rate. It makes it a little more customized to each situation.

VW
I suppose that's possible. I think their wording suggests something else.

If you are right, they should have said "Deferring SS provides a better return than the 5% nominal return (3% real return) we're expecting on stocks over the next couple decades."
Old 08-31-2018, 03:21 PM   #15

The table is very conservative. Read the fine print. 40/60 with decreasing equity allocation over time. Interestingly, the article cites Kitces who advises an increase in equity allocation with age.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 07:07 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
Yes, at least 1%, I believe.
Old 08-31-2018, 07:21 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I just wanted to link the best set of articles on SWR that I've ever read on the internet even if I have linked them before:

ERN's Ultimate Guide to Safe Withdrawal Rates

This set of articles covers everything that I ever wanted to know and needed to know with critiques of all the other articles that you might want to read or have already read. And by "critiques" I mean that the good things and bad things are discussed.

Lots of food for thought in this set of articles.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 08:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
I just wanted to link the best set of articles on SWR that I've ever read on the internet even if I have linked them before:

ERN's Ultimate Guide to Safe Withdrawal Rates

This set of articles covers everything that I ever wanted to know and needed to know with critiques of all the other articles that you might want to read or have already read. And by "critiques" I mean that the good things and bad things are discussed.

Lots of food for thought in this set of articles.
I just started looking at these. They look good to me, but they it will probably take me a while!
Old 08-31-2018, 08:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post

The table is very conservative. Read the fine print. 40/60 with decreasing equity allocation over time. Interestingly, the article cites Kitces who advises an increase in equity allocation with age.
I'm not sure what "conservative" means in this case. The table is for people who have spending flexibility. But, it doesn't specify how much. A simple "percent of current balance" withdrawal strategy will last forever, if you have enough flexibility to take the downside.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:55 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm not sure what "conservative" means in this case. The table is for people who have spending flexibility. But, it doesn't specify how much. A simple "percent of current balance" withdrawal strategy will last forever, if you have enough flexibility to take the downside.
I mentioned the conservative reference also and for me I meant that most folks probably don't follow a 40/60 AA with a decreasing equity glide ratio aka most folks on this forum use a higher equity %.