SWR in the 19th century

Law was also considered a (barely) gentlemanly career. Many younger sons of high ranking families went into the military as officers, but someone had to buy a commission, so that career was available only to those who had a relative willing to pay for it.

Audrey

I heard somewhere that Prince Charles was the first royal to get a university degree (at Cambridge, where he earned the equivalent of a "C" average.)

I heard somewhere that Prince Charles was the first royal to get a university degree (at Cambridge, where he earned the equivalent of a "C" average.)

I've also heard that President Bush graduated with a C average.

The average bust size in the US is also now a C.

There is a growing body of evidence that C, while not effective in fighting colds, is effective in speeding healing following surgery.

Coincidence, I think not.

C U L8

Audrey and FireDreamer,
That is so interesting to hear you say that reading about 19th century gentry influenced your goal to ER; I'm in the same boat. I think I used to read more of that literature early in my career when I felt the sharp contrast between my hard career demands and the lives of the people in the books, and set about to get there myself in a very 21st century fashion (start web companies or whatever).

I'd be curious if there are an inordinate number of 18th and 19th century European literature/lifestyle fans around ER circles....

Audrey and FireDreamer,
That is so interesting to hear you say that reading about 19th century gentry influenced your goal to ER; I'm in the same boat. I think I used to read more of that literature early in my career when I felt the sharp contrast between my hard career demands and the lives of the people in the books, and set about to get there myself in a very 21st century fashion (start web companies or whatever).

I'd be curious if there are an inordinate number of 18th and 19th century European literature/lifestyle fans around ER circles....

Interesting. Well I don't know where my fascination with the 19th century gentry's lifestyle comes from. My grand-parents were all farmers, my parents were hard working professionals who would have never even considered ER, and yet when I was 5 years old my parents asked me what I wanted to do when I grew up. They expected the classics, like cop, vet, or fireman... Apparently I answered: "millionaire without working" which made my parents burst with laughter. They got so amused by my answer that they are still teasing me about it... Off course when I grew up I realized that, unlike people in the gentry, I would have to work first before becoming a "millionaire without working" i.e. becoming financially independent. But I never gave up on the dream though my parents really think that it's all what it will ever be, a dream. But by the time I am 43, I hope to truly be a "millionaire without working" (they don't know that at 33, I am already well on my way to realize my dream ;)).

But to this day I am fascinated with everything 18th and 19th century, be it lifestyle, manners, decors, art, though I don't miss the clothes (especially 18th century clothes)...

I to like the gentry lifestyle of the 19th Century. If you would like to read about men of leisure try some Oscar Wilde. Guys with money and nothing to do all day.

Financial independence was always really important to me even at a very early age (did my parents try to control me too much through my allowance? LOL!). So I think the freeing nature of financial independence portrayed in the books I read from an earlier culture naturally appealed to me - and very strongly indeed. At first for FI for me meant getting a scholarship to college, and then having my own career and earning my own money (important as I am female - a woman financially independent of her husband was very unusual when I was a girl). Later, FI meant not needing to earn a living at all. I had always fantasized about that possibility, but when I got lucky enough in my career to see that such a thing could happen for me at an early age, I absolutely leapt at the chance - no question!

I suspect as well that I just never bought into the "wage slave" and going-into-debt consumerism that seems to be such a strong bias in our US culture. Today, a person's identity is usually defined by their career (the first question after introductions is usually - "so what do you do?") - I always hated that. Also, there seems to be a knee jerk assumption that the time one doesn't spend earning money is somehow "worthless". Education, rather than being a means to broaden one's mind and experience, is generally considered only worthwhile in pursuit of a career, etc. These attitudes have always rankled me, so I'm sure I was drawn to a period with very different attitudes that are more compatible with/reinforce mine.

However, I'm sure there are many, many cultural biases of the time period that would rankle me as well (esp. being female and not that socially inclined). We can pick and choose, can't we!

Many of my interests - bird watching(study), natural history, botanical illustration and drawing in general, classical education, were very predominant during that time. It was a period where the amateur (gentleman) scientist was in his heyday - Charles Darwin is an exquisite example. The 'professional' scientist didn't really exist yet. And, of course, then there were all the explorers and collectors and travelers....... so much fun!!!

My father was episcopal clergy (how's that for right out of the 19th Century!!!) - highly educated (doctorate of Theology from University of Heidelberg no less), and my mother was a musical prodigy, also highly educated in classical music. So at a young age I was very much exposed to a classical education in literature, art, music, etc. I also grew up in a British colony which still had some definite throwbacks to the 19th Century. I remember my parents going to the governor's mansion one evening for a formal dinner and having wear court dress!

I would have fit right into the 19th Century - assuming I had the financial means.

LOL!

Audrey

Last edited:
Audrey:

I am a particular fan of the Aubrey/Maturin novels by Patrick O'Brien. Following a British Royal Navy captain and his ship's doctor (and naturalist and spy) in the early years of the 19th century, they touch on some of the same issues concerning the British gentry of the 19th century, but there is a little more action than one typically finds in Jane Austen or the Bronte's. Given your interests in natural history, you may like them (I am, perhaps wrongly, assuming you have not already discovered them). I share those interests and, as an ex-Navy man myself, am also interested in the sailing and fighting parts. The recent movie with Russell Crowe did not do them justice.

This is a perfect thread with knowledgeable posts and humor. I have nothing interesting to say about the topic but would be interested to see it discussed in virtually any decade.

Cuppa

Science Fiction here. Mandatory reading in High School pretty well killed any enthusiam for the 19th century. Although - Moby Dick the movie was endurable.

heh heh heh - :cool:

Audrey:

I am a particular fan of the Aubrey/Maturin novels by Patrick O'Brien. Following a British Royal Navy captain and his ship's doctor (and naturalist and spy) in the early years of the 19th century, they touch on some of the same issues concerning the British gentry of the 19th century, but there is a little more action than one typically finds in Jane Austen or the Bronte's. Given your interests in natural history, you may like them (I am, perhaps wrongly, assuming you have not already discovered them). I share those interests and, as an ex-Navy man myself, am also interested in the sailing and fighting parts. The recent movie with Russell Crowe did not do them justice.
Have the first 5 books right here on my shelf. I just haven't gotten around to reading them yet.

I absolutely adored the movie Master and Commander and I recognized all the parallels with Darwin's travels as recounted in Darwin's "The Journey of the Beagle" (I think that's the title). That book was absolutely fascinating. I also have a particular weakness for 19th Century British Navy movies/TV series. I loved the A&E series Horatio Hornblower. I'm not really much of a military enthusiast at all, but somehow a tall sailing ship carrying many guns totally captures my interest, and I find myself fascinated by the sailing and fighting parts too. I enjoy the historic methods of navigation and mapping as well.

I did enough research into this class of fiction to dig up a biography of Thomas Cochrane whose astounding real life naval exploits far exceed that which would be believed in a novel!

Am also a sailboat sailor myself. But no guns - LOL!

Thanks for the tip. If the movie didn't do the books justice, then I really look forward to reading the books!

Audrey

I started Tom Jones a couple of days ago. I knew from the introduction it would be a romp and so far that's exactly what it is. Not very flattering to the women of the time, however. The rich ones are ugly, the poor ones are ugly, and all the rest are "wicked sluts and strumpets"!

I loved the movie Master and Commander, except for one detail which drives me crazy: at the beginning they get the bells wrong!

First they strike 7 bells. It's obviously the morning watch so it's 7:30 am. A little later --7 bells again!!

Ding-ding ... ding-ding ... ding-ding ...ding! Aaargh! A bilgewater grog for the lubber who strikes the wrong time!

And speaking of grog: I found a good recipe for it on allrecipes.com, which I modified slightly: boil a cup of water*, add the juice of a lemon or lime, one lemon zinger tea bag and sugar to taste. Rum it up to your preference. Cane syrup is also good instead of sugar. Grog is my drink on miserable wet cold days, even though I haven't been sailing in decades. Yaaargh.

*Or substitute bilge water; pepper thoroughly to sink diesel fuel to the bottom of the glass.

Am I the only woman who lost a lot of sleep as a young girl, wondering how the heck I would land a man with a "living" to support me? I was socially retarded, academically gifted, so I read everything I could lay my hands on, but fixated on Jane Austen and other novels set in that time frame.
Thank heaven for the 20th century and the opportunity for a woman to make her own "living".
I have all the Patrick O'Brian novels on my bookshelf (the Aubrey/Maturin you refer to). I plan to go through them again sometime, just as I do all the John D. MacDonalds occasionally. But neither of those authors gave me fits wondering how I'd get by, because they're written from a man's perspective.

Am I the only woman who lost a lot of sleep as a young girl, wondering how the heck I would land a man with a "living" to support me?

I was raised with brothers and never even considered getting a man to support me until I was about 14. I always wished I was a boy then one day it dawned on me that being a female a man would work and give me his money. :)
When asked what I was going to do when I grew up I told my father I would marry a sailor and live on a houseboat. Tugboat Annie was my role model. I first considered living a life without work when a TV show giving away a million dollars was on TV. I computed that would give me $40,000 a year forever from the interest, my dad earned about $10,000. Funny most people thing get a million and you can buy things my first thought was living on the interest so it would last.

*Or substitute bilge water; pepper thoroughly to sink diesel fuel to the bottom of the glass.
:2funny: Don't have to worry about diesel fuel in the bilge water if it's one of them old sailing vessels - or even one of the modern ones as long as the motor is outboard only!

But ugh - lot's of other nasty stuff in that bilge water :eek:

Audrey

I computed that would give me $40,000 a year forever from the interest, my dad earned about $10,000. Funny most people thing get a million and you can buy things my first thought was living on the interest so it would last.

Born to ER... :cool:

I was always partial to the adventurous lifestyle of 18-19th century.

I would be part of another niche ER fan group influenced by a more recent, though still nostalgic lifestyle. Call it the "Beach Bum, Counterculture" influence (well, you get the picture). More impacted by music than books. Not so much a classic gentleman's life of upper-class leisure but a far more simple life of perpetual (mostly) ER in an idyllic location, or just vagabonding through a whole bunch of them. ;)

I was always partial to the adventurous lifestyle of 18-19th century.
I can only imagine what a Livingstone, Byrd, or Hillary could do with 21st-century technology. I bet they'd heal a lot faster, too...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom