Table the variable annuity jihad?

Should we drop the subject of variable annuities?

• Keep yakking about VAs

Votes: 48 59.3%
  • Drop the subject

Votes: 33 40.7%

• Total voters
Art, better be careful sparring with Martha. You'll end up banned, unable to offer your expertise on the board and lose the few annuity sales leads you're getting by posting here.

Yeah. You wanna tell 'em or should I? I've got your new policy statement right here. Oooops, I wasn't supposed to tell, was I?

Art, better be careful sparring with Martha. You'll end up banned, unable to offer your expertise on the board and lose the few annuity sales leads you're getting by posting here.

You had to say something, I sorta like the direction he was going.:rolleyes:

FWIW, I voted to continue discussing VAs even though I think anyone who sells them should be boiled in oil.

FWIW, I voted to continue discussing VAs even though I think anyone who sells them should be boiled in oil.
Maybe both the topics of VAs and the Soapbox could be spun off into their own boards. That way all the other SocialKnowledge forum members could join in without feeling intimidated by all the ERs (& annuity salesmen, thanks REWahoo) hanging around here...

Did you ever get your answers?

I also voted to not to ban the topic because every now and then a legitimate issue may be raised, but 99% of the time its just the same ol crapola...very abusive but easy to ignore.

I also voted to not to ban the topic because every now and then a legitimate issue may be raised, but 99% of the time its just the same ol crapola...very abusive but easy to ignore.

Why not ban any financial topic that doesn't have the word Vanguard in it, that would make a lot of folks happy..........:D

Why not ban any financial topic that doesn't have the word Vanguard in it, that would make a lot of folks happy..........:D

:D :D :D :D :D :cool:

heh heh heh - or the Pats have a good football team interspersed with Pssst Wellesley - set to music would be kinda nice.

We don need no stinking annuities - I have Social Security.

Well, then it would be the Bogleheads board...

Darn, I thought this was the Bogleheads Board, what the hell have I been doing on here for over 2 years?? :eek:

When I hear someone talking about VAs... I am thinking novice. Perhaps there can be a newbie investor topic. It can provide basic simple advice and debunk scams (legal or otherwise) for newbies.

If someone is asking about VAs (seriously... not trolling)... they are either looking at a purchase (and might need advice) or trying to convince themselves that they did not get screwed with their past purchase.

When I hear someone talking about VAs... I am thinking novice. Perhaps there can be a newbie investor topic. It can provide basic simple advice and debunk scams (legal or otherwise) for newbies.

If someone is asking about VAs (seriously... not trolling)... they are either looking at a purchase (and might need advice) or trying to convince themselves that they did not get screwed with their past purchase.

Good point, maybe a place where EIA, VA, Fixed annuities, and SPIA can be discussed..........

You had to say something, I sorta like the direction he was going.:rolleyes:

:D Hey! Someone else who has me on ignore who likes to read my posts! It's almost magical!

:D Hey! Someone else who has me on ignore who likes to read my posts! It's almost magical!

Don't have you on ignore - but be sure and keep up your stock picks in between VA stuff.

heh heh heh - everybody needs a hobby - football and stocks in winter.

Pssst - you know who!

Last edited:
Good point, maybe a place where EIA, VA, Fixed annuities, and SPIA can be discussed..........

Anyone notice how baroque this is getting?

Really, sticks and stones may break my bones...but VAs:crazy:

I would like to see more discussion of any investment topic, no matter how awful the consensus feels that it is.

It sure beats Poll: How do we feel about the way we feel about feelings about (whatever abstract topic)?

The surest way to start a dud thread is to focus and limit it to something that actually can be rationally considered.

When are we going to determine how many angels can stand on the head of a pin?

I don't have any knowledge or opinions about VAs. i suspect that some of the strong opinion holders may alo be dealing from incomplete knowledge. Anyway, who the hell cares?

Ha

I have tried to draft people who don't have a vested interest in the product to write a FAQ. No luck so far. Anyone interested, pm me.

I have tried to draft people who don't have a vested interest in the product to write a FAQ. No luck so far. Anyone interested, pm me.

Good idea.

Martha, the problem is that those without a vested interest don't fully understand the product.
Someone posted on one of these threads recently about how buying an annuity in an IRA is criminal. Well that's old thinking. The NASD who very closely monitors all annuity sales have determined that VA's with living benefits DO have a place in IRA accounts.
You see, there are those on here who are either bullied into ignoring the product, or else looked at it years ago, or a very old policy and determined they would never be good. This would be akin to determining that the Tampa Bay Rays could never get to a World Series because they never had.
So many on here have disclaimers stating that they are not professionals and their opinion is just that, then in their posts try to come off as experts. Perhaps their disclaimer should have a disclaimer?

Um, yeah...and those of us that are professionals, Art, and think VAs suck, what about us?

How about this disclaimer...selling someone a VA inside an IRA is ridiculous. Just hold up a liquor store instead; it would be a more honorable way to earn money than that.

Sarah, I have no problem whatsoever with anyone saying the product sucks. Just include your reasons for thinking so. If you were to post your reasons and I can respond, whether it be positively or negatively, we're both bound to learn something.
So, you wanna go first?

Way to add value to the thread.

Back
Top Bottom