Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-29-2020, 03:35 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wow, I so appreciate all of these thoughtful, detailed, engaged and supportive comments. What a luxury to be able to vent and vet something like this here on this board of experienced people without driving my loved ones crazy with my crabbiness. Thank you.

I spoke with the employment lawyer today and I really liked him. He specializes in severance issues day in and day out. The long and short of it is, I canít really prove gender or age bias and they really donít have to give me severance. I donít really have a case for all of the $30K, just the first half of it theyíve promised. He agrees that what they did was tacky, cheap and awful but probably, in the end, legal. I face the prospect of fighting and burning bridges and still probably losing and also having a ďneutral referenceĒ directive put in my file, vs. staying cool and getting out of there determined and with my chin up while keeping my strong reference in tact. I judge the latter is probably worth more than the actual money under discussion. Heck, there are days when my whole portfolio moves more than the amounts involved.

It all really sucks but Iím taking the white glove approach and claiming my freedom soon. Some priceless non-monetary lessons from this train wreck so far:

I now know my decision to leave is 100% correct, now that I see the culture for what it really is. Any doubt I had is erased and I canít wait to get away from a poorly managed place that neglects my very compensation.

Theyíve given me even more motivation to run my own life untethered from self-interested corporations. One way or another, my portfolio and I have outgrown the paternalism of corporations and their salaries. Iíve saved their salaries and their 403B matches and have invested it well long enough to purchase my freedom from their serfdom and I am going my own way. Thatís a huge decision for me!

I know from experience that 6 months from now Iíll be into my new life and wonít even remember this garbage, just like Iíve let go most of the junk from prior jobs, which itself has provided useful lessons about things to avoid in the future. Some of those lessons might be fodder another ER Forum discussion post!

So, Iíve satisfied my basic curiosity about the legality of their cheapness and am looking forward. Itís summer, Iím nearly free and I am going to try hard to let go these things out of my control as soon as possible and move forward. Thanks again.

Markola is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2020, 06:09 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Markola, sounds like good advice from attorney and you are at peace with this. My wife and I both felt a bit crapped on by our non profits when we left (different ones). We both ended up being called upon to consult post retirement. In my wife's case she leveraged them for about 75% more per hour than their first offer. Her skill set is much more rare and requires specialized licensing than anything I did LOL!

Best wishes for an amazing retirement. We're both about 1 year post retirement and are having a blast. We are 55 and 52 years old, and feel so blessed to be able to forget what day of the week it is.

Old 07-01-2020, 07:32 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
<snip>...I donít really have a case for all of the $30K, just the first half of it theyíve promised. <snip>
I know from experience that 6 months from now Iíll be into my new life and wonít even remember this garbage, just like Iíve let go most of the junk from prior jobs, which itself has provided useful lessons about things to avoid in the future. Some of those lessons might be fodder another ER Forum discussion post!

So, Iíve satisfied my basic curiosity about the legality of their cheapness and am looking forward. Itís summer, Iím nearly free and I am going to try hard to let go these things out of my control as soon as possible and move forward. Thanks again.
So it sounds like you'll get the $15k today, and then you're free? I think that's a good way to go out, if you can be zen with the loss which it sounds like you can. Otherwise, you'll find that a legal case will consume your head-space until it's resolved, so kissing it goodbye for peace of mind earns a pretty good hourly rate.

When is your last day?
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 06:27 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
So it sounds like you'll get the $15k today, and then you're free? I think that's a good way to go out, if you can be zen with the loss which it sounds like you can. Otherwise, you'll find that a legal case will consume your head-space until it's resolved, so kissing it goodbye for peace of mind earns a pretty good hourly rate.

When is your last day?

Last day is July 10 and, yes, I get the 15K in July. I think youíre right about moving on, because when I think about it I get a stomach full of acid, which canít be good. If I had to endure that feeling through a months-long legal process, yuck. I do have some satisfaction in a job well done, a boss who has admitted twice to me that her consistent bungling of my compensation is one of her worst career failures, and, the cherry on top is that my boss, the evil HR director, and all the senior-most executives wonít be getting their 25% and 35% bonuses this year due to their collective financial mismanagement of the organization. OOOO! I FEEL GOOD nananananana!
Old 07-01-2020, 06:29 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backpacker View Post
Markola,

Best wishes for an amazing retirement. We're both about 1 year post retirement and are having a blast. We are 55 and 52 years old, and feel so blessed to be able to forget what day of the week it is.

Thank you very much. You have what I MOST want. 🥂
Old 07-01-2020, 06:36 PM   #26

I'm sorry you aren't getting what you were promised, but maybe that will make it easier to leave the work world behind. Good luck with your next adventure- in 9 days!! Whoop, whoop! I'm kinda jealous. I got pushed back some. I should have been done by now. With any luck I'll be out by Thanksgiving.
Old 07-11-2020, 12:36 PM   #27

Taken to the cleaners by my skin flint employer

Looping back to report on the outcome of my problem. The evil HR VP went on vacation and my boss seized the opportunity to work out a better deal with the general counsel and CEO. My last day of work was yesterday but they will quietly let me stay on the payroll through August 14, which is the equivalent of $15,000, and my benefits automatically continue through August. I received the other $15,000 as cash in yesterdayís paycheck, making the total equivalent to $30K.

All in all, Iím glad I bit my lip after talking with the attorney, because my boss did go to bat for me and spent some of her political capital, which I wanted to see, and I have left everything and everyone on very smooth terms, with the exception of the Evil HR Director, who will likely blow her top this Monday, which makes me smile inside. They could have also figured out how to pay me severance but cíest la vie. I have told everyone Iíve left to take a long-planned sabbatical. If it turns into a permanent sabbatical, well, whatdayaknow?
Old 07-11-2020, 12:58 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well done! And even better yet that the Evil HR VP will end up screwed politically in the whole deal.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA TBD
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 01:35 PM   #29

Great news.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 01:56 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for updating your story. Soooo happy youre on the way to your "permanent sabbatical". Love that label!

July 5th was my one year FREEDOM anniversary.
It is so wonderful to not remember what day it is.
If I turn and ask hubby, he says "its 4pm on a Saturday" cause we dont care what day it might really be.
On the way to the lake now.
momoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 04:42 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
Great news.

I appreciate your interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Well done! And even better yet that the Evil HR VP will end up screwed politically in the whole deal.

Yeah! Regardless, Iím done with the likes of her forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momoftwo View Post
Thanks for updating your story. Soooo happy youre on the way to your "permanent sabbatical". Love that label!

July 5th was my one year FREEDOM anniversary.
It is so wonderful to not remember what day it is.
If I turn and ask hubby, he says "its 4pm on a Saturday" cause we dont care what day it might really be.
On the way to the lake now.

AWESOME. Enjoy your FREEDOM and the lake. We have just booked a celebratory 9 days in August at a small cabin right on Lake Superior that we love. Weíve never been able to stay that long before!