Join Early Retirement Today

Taking up citizenship in a tax haven - stories?
Old 04-14-2021, 09:06 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Taking up citizenship in a tax haven - stories?

Just curious to see if many people on this forum have changed citizenship to a tax haven for tax mitigation. There are plenty of people here with 5M+ eggs at which point the tax on the income from the portfolio might start bothering someone just enough to consider tax mitigation strategies.

I always see this stuff in the movies but never met anyone who actually did it. Would love to hear some stories as well as how the process goes.
hahaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2021, 12:07 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

OPs first post, we'll see if this gets too political. No, haven't gone to reside in a tax haven, have visited some, great vacations. I do know people who established foreign citizenship but that was after marriage to a foreign national and moving to their country.
AFAIK the US taxes it nationals whereever they reside (although each country may have tax agreements with th US) so one would have to renounce citizenship to avoid US taxes, a nonstarter as I am concerned, not a financial issue.
Old 04-14-2021, 12:14 PM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers View Post
AFAIK the US taxes it nationals whereever they reside (although each country may have tax agreements with th US) so one would have to renounce citizenship to avoid US taxes, a nonstarter as I am concerned, not a financial issue.
I think Puerto Rico is an exception for those who qualify. Keep citizenship and pay no federal taxes
https://www.districtofcolumbiataxatt...ew%20resident.
perez99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 12:16 PM   #4

Well, there's an "Exit Tax" the IRS can nail you with. And then your heirs may also get a nasty surprise upon your death. https://expattaxprofessionals.com/bl...us-citizenship
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 01:47 PM   #5

We moved to Nevada (Reno), but it was from Texas, so I guess that doesn't qualify as moving to a tax haven. (Both are non-income tax states, but that wasn't why we moved to Reno.)

Given the influx of immigrants like me, it will be interesting how Nevada generates revenue to accommodate population growth.
RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 02:01 PM   #6

I know of a couple that moved to Andorra many years ago to avoid US taxes. I don't know the specifics except that they owned a bank in rural America and had done pretty well for themselves. One of them gave up their US citizenship (I believe it was a requirement to gain citizenship in Andorra) and the other did not. There are some issues with visits to the US as well, but not sure about the specifics. They love it there, but do miss their family back here in the states. Not sure how it will all pan out when the get "of a certain age", however.

I think it's somewhat interesting that Andorra has the longest life expectancy of any country in the world: 81 years.
Old 04-14-2021, 02:19 PM   #7
Administrator

The framing of this topic is confusing. A $5M portfolio should not generate so much taxable income that a tax haven or loss of US citizenship becomes a compelling tax mitigation strategy. Favorable capital gain rates coupled with tax free options, such as municipal bonds, should keep the total federal tax burden relatively low.

After relocating overseas, a US citizen is still liable for US taxes on investment income ( even Puerto Rico). Giving up US citizenship, income based in the US, such as pension or Social Security, would still be subject to US tax laws, unless there is a tax treaty.

Tax havens tend to have two primary constituents. Business income looking for low tax rates, and people looking to hide assets from interested parties, such as spouses, partners, and the authorities. Both require substantial involvement of specialized legal counsel, which is quite costly.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 02:27 PM   #8

Two of my work colleagues went the route of renouncing their US citizenship for tax reasons. Plus, they had established lives in a different country.
brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 02:39 PM   #9

Related, the Planet Money folks did an interesting episode on offshore companies.

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2...in-a-tax-haven

It turns out, the best place offshore to establish an anonymous company is....Delaware.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 02:48 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLJ View Post
We moved to Nevada (Reno), but it was from Texas, so I guess that doesn't qualify as moving to a tax haven. (Both are non-income tax states, but that wasn't why we moved to Reno.)

Given the influx of immigrants like me, it will be interesting how Nevada generates revenue to accommodate population growth.
Yeah, we moved back to Dallas after our 4 years in SoCal. We deferred comp'd a bit while we were in a high Cali bracket and took it over 5 years in Dallas. We made a pittance for 3 of the years, so we didn't pay the 28% fed and about 10% Cali, so it worked well for us.

TX is a great place to work, just not much more other than family time.

We lived in Mexico for 3 of the 5 & lived on the payouts of the deffered comp...
Surewhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 02:53 PM   #11
Dryer sheet wannabe

It's easier said than done. So called Tax Heavens work more at Corporate level then individual level. Because you would need to hire army of Accountants and Lawyers to defend yourself quite often from Uncle Sam.

As others have said - US now has Exit Tax. So as long as you want to cut cord completely from US, you can take your lumps and go somewhere else (but even than Uncle Sam can get you on one pretext or other). It is feasible, but not very economical if you are talking less than $100mil because of all the risk and limitations (& litigations).

Two words: "Money Laundering" is all it takes for Feds to charge someone and destroy their whole life.
yhoomajor is offline   Reply With Quote