Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 11:51 AM   #261
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think the public show trial was supposed to be today. Maybe they decided that was a bit foolhardy and just got it done. Now all I need to know is whether I have to write checks before December 31st.

ETA: No cable, so no C-Span. Will be looking for the blow by blow from you folks when it's done.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2017, 12:00 PM   #262
gone traveling

Turmp is giving a speech now saying he will sign a 21% corporate tax rate bill.

Old 12-13-2017, 12:09 PM   #263
gone traveling

Fox Business news is confirming they've agreed on a 37% top individual tax rate.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:16 PM   #264
gone traveling

I've noticed the media seldom mentions the lowest tax rate which the House bill raises to 12% but the Senate bill leaves at 10%.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:21 PM   #265

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena View Post

Fox Business news is confirming they've agreed on a 37% top individual tax rate.
What was it before? Have not had to file a return for years.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:25 PM   #266
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
What was it before? Have not had to file a return for years.
I believe it is 39.6% currently.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:39 PM   #267

Quote:

I've noticed the media seldom mentions the lowest tax rate which the House bill raises to 12% but the Senate bill leaves at 10%.
Yes, it will be interesting to see if they have 4 brackets, 7 brackets, or something different.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
Old 12-13-2017, 12:46 PM   #268

Hard to tell what's there: Republicans in House and Senate strike a deal on tax bill - CNNPolitics

Appears:
  • FIFO only option
  • 37% top rate
  • mortgage interest deduction tops out at 750k
  • SALT vs Prop Tax discussion
  • 21% corporate tax
  • ACA?
fed decision 13min
Old 12-13-2017, 12:46 PM   #269
gone traveling

Quote:

There were several news articles about this yesterday. But none of them said anything about the extra over age 65 deduction which the House bill eliminates and the Senate bill keeps. For some reason the media is not interested in that.

Quote:

Just now I tried to call Senator John Cornyn's DC office but their main DC number is not connecting to a live person. So I called their Dallas office and was able to speak with an aide to ask him about reconciliation on these two House/Senate differences. All he was able to tell me was Senator Cornyn's has not issued a public statement on that. This might explain why the media is also silent. So why the secrecy ??

Old 12-13-2017, 01:38 PM   #270
Administrator

The purpose of the thread was to discuss the inner workings of the Senate and House tax bills. They have each been replaced with a final, reconciled tax bill. Once it is released and details available, we will need and have a new tax thread.
Closed Thread

Tags
tax