Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 06:53 AM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
You don’t get to pick which specific ETF, mutual fund or stock lot is sold when you sell but are forced to sell the oldest.
FIFO is the default, but you still have the option to override the default and designate which lots you want to sell.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2017, 06:57 AM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post
FIFO is the default, but you still have the option to override the default and designate which lots you want to sell.
Not in the Senate proposed tax bill, which is what we are discussing here.

That specific lot option should would no longer be allowed for individual investors.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:13 AM   #83

Quote:
Not in the Senate proposed tax bill, which is what we are discussing here.

That specific lot option should would no longer be allowed for individual investors.
I stand corrected. I didn't realize that was in there. Thanks for pointing it out. I guess I better take another look at my portfolio to see if I have any losing lots that I can still designate this year and add to my harvested losses.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:13 AM   #84
Give me a forum ...

So far my investigation of the news is that something is very ambiguous about this. Is there a link to the actual text of the bill? So far, the news media does not give me any confidence in their reporting of the facts.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:18 AM   #85

Quote:
The whole FIFO thing limited to the retail investor will only save 0.17% of the 10 year tax revenue drop according to the JCT scoring, so why force this complexity that would have to be implemented starting Jan 1 2018 for such a tiny result?

BTW I read that after the 1986 increase in cap gains rates, realized gains seriously dropped and revenue from that activity came in far less than expected.
This was my thought, also...it just doesn't make sense for the miniscule revenue increase and it's overturning 100 years of tax law. Also, Congress required brokerages to write costly software and systems to track basis for all investors starting a few years ago ... much of that effort will now have been wasted if this passes. My gut feeling is that the FIFO provision will be edited out of the final version. If it does make it, it's probably because it doesn't have strong advocates like many of the other former deductions that have been removed in the latest tax bill.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:23 AM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
So far my investigation of the news is that something is very ambiguous about this. Is there a link to the actual text of the bill? So far, the news media does not give me any confidence in their reporting of the facts.
According to reports I’ve read this was still in the Senate version of the bill when it went to the floor for a vote. https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/20/sena...-strategy.html

The links to the text of the bill were given above but is a scan and not searchable. https://assets.bwbx.io/documents/use...XqXuQfYbRas/v0
Old 12-03-2017, 07:25 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
This was my thought, also...it just doesn't make sense for the miniscule revenue increase and it's overturning 100 years of tax law. Also, Congress required brokerages to write costly software and systems to track basis for all investors starting a few years ago ... much of that effort will now have been wasted if this passes. My gut feeling is that the FIFO provision will be edited out of the final version. If it does make it, it's probably because it doesn't have strong advocates like many of the other former deductions that have been removed in the latest tax bill.
That is my thought too. It is near impossible for an individual investor to sell in a FIFO manner, across different brokerages, in any reasonable manner.

You have reinvested dividends, different buy dates, splits, reverse splits, paper shares held directly in a safe, etc. There are even forgotten accounts and forgotten positions.

I can see it if it is only at a single brokerage, where the brokerage can track dates, but not across brokerages.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Old 12-03-2017, 07:44 AM   #88
Give me a forum ...

I have e-mailed my US senator asking for clarification. I suggest that you all do the same thing.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:46 AM   #89
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
The links to the text of the bill were given above but is a scan and not searchable. https://assets.bwbx.io/documents/use...XqXuQfYbRas/v0
Yes, on page 254 if anyone wants to read it.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:58 AM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by catotx View Post
Yes, on page 254 if anyone wants to read it.
I read that and it doesn't tell me anything because it refers to other paragraphs. All my sales are done by a regulated investment company, too.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:10 AM   #91
Administrator

Additional posts have been removed that were taking the thread off topic. Let’s please stick to proposed changes to tax law in the two bills.

This includes any discussion of individual mandate and ACA. As indicated in the OP, that should be taken up in a separate thread in the healthcare forum.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:24 AM   #92
Give me a forum ...

If you are a family with one child over age 16 (no child tax credit) under current law you get 3 exemptions (3 x $4150) and a standard deduction of $13,000 for a total of $25,450.

Under the proposed law, you get a standard deduction of $24,000.

So your taxable income will increase by $1,450.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:39 AM   #93

Some tax plans are good, and some tax plans are bad.

VW
Old 12-03-2017, 08:47 AM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I read that and it doesn't tell me anything because it refers to other paragraphs. All my sales are done by a regulated investment company, too.
It doesn’t matter if your sales are done by a regulated investment company. Which retail investors are not?
Old 12-03-2017, 08:58 AM   #95

Thanks for this discussion, I've resolved to call Vanguard Monday to get a DAF setup. I'm meeting with my CPA on the 13th (I was/am hoping the law is final by then) but JoeWras's comment about needing to start the process with Vanguard by the 15th makes me think I need to start this process now.

I've been gifting highly appreciate shares (currently working off a pile of $7 AAPL shares) and with the possible changes to picking which shares to sell (FIFO) I think I'll just send all the $7 shares into the DAF. Just means more ROTH conversions this year...

Again, great discussion so far!
Old 12-03-2017, 09:01 AM   #96
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was listening to Kudlow yesterday and he and his guest were very much against the FIFO rule. The guest (who's name escapes me) thought it was put in as a bargaining chip as something that could be given up in later negotiations on the bill.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:26 AM   #97

Quote:
If you are a family with one child over age 16 (no child tax credit) under current law you get 3 exemptions (3 x $4150) and a standard deduction of $13,000 for a total of $25,450.

Under the proposed law, you get a standard deduction of $24,000.

So your taxable income will increase by $1,450.
You are missing the new "non-child dependent" tax credit. $500 in the Senate version, which is worth more than the tax on $1,450 in all but the highest brackets, and that is for just one dependent. It is not clear to me if this applies to taxpayer and spouse too, the $300 version in the House bill does. If the Senate rule is the same, it would be a $1500 tax credit in your scenario.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
Old 12-03-2017, 09:29 AM   #98
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
Thanks for this discussion, I've resolved to call Vanguard Monday to get a DAF setup. I'm meeting with my CPA on the 13th (I was/am hoping the law is final by then) but JoeWras's comment about needing to start the process with Vanguard by the 15th makes me think I need to start this process now.
Those dates are to be safe, and generally there isn't that much lag at other times of the year. VG and Fidelity Charitables get slammed in December. A new account would probably take priority, but who knows?

With VG Charitable, it is darn near automatic if you gift VG mutual funds. Anything else requires some human which could slow things down, especially during this year end flurry. I suspect the flurry may be more intense this year due to the proposed law.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:29 AM   #99
Recycles dryer sheets

Is there info how QDiv and LTCG will be taxed? Currently there is 0 tax up to the 15% bracket of taxable income (combined income-deductions).
Old 12-03-2017, 09:48 AM   #100
Recycles dryer sheets

It appears that the final senate bill has removed the Hatch amendment in sec 13611 on page 284 that originally combined the 401k/403b & 457 limits into one aggregate limit, so those who contribute to both should still be able to max both.

Tags
tax