Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 10:18 AM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Not in the Senate proposed tax bill, which is what we are discussing here.

That specific lot option should would no longer be allowed for individual investors.
oh crap! So I guess it will impact me more than I thought!

BTW: What does DFA mean here? I know what it means in sports but not in this context.

Quote:
Typically, a player is placed on waivers after being designated for assignment for the purpose of outrighting him to one of the club's minor league teams. A player who is outrighted to the minors is removed from the 40-man roster but is still paid according to the terms of his guaranteed contract.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2017, 10:21 AM   #102
Recycles dryer sheets

Here's an article on Morningstar on the FIFO proposal

The Senate's Proposed Investment-Tax Hike Is a Flop

The author seems to think that you can isolate the tax lots by using different brokers.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:24 AM   #103
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think that this will affect us much.

Our income consists mainly of qualified dividends, LTCGs, and a small amount of taxable interests.
Low property taxes, low state income tax, no mortgage, no charitable donations (we funded our DAF when we were making good money and now use that fund for making donations) = we usually don't itemize anymore and the slightly higher standard deduction for a couple can only help.

The FIFO rule would be a pain though...
Old 12-03-2017, 10:27 AM   #104
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
oh crap! So I guess it will impact me more than I thought!

BTW: What does DFA mean here? I know what it means in sports but not in this context.
It's DAF, for Donor Advised Fund.

You make a lump sum charity donation into the fund, and you can dole out the donations over the years. You take the charity deduction in the year you make the lump sum donation (up to certain limitations).
Old 12-03-2017, 10:34 AM   #105
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Would the FIFO only rule be extrapolated from mutual funds (of which I have none) to individual stocks & ETFs? If so I might need to harvest all losses this year instead of spreading them out
Old 12-03-2017, 10:35 AM   #106
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Would the FIFO only rule be extrapolated from mutual funds (of which I have none) to individual stocks & ETFs? If so I might need to harvest all losses this year instead of spreading them out
The FIFO proposal affects stocks and probably ETFs as well. For mutual funds, you still have the option of average cost basis. It's just that the specific ID method is taken away.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:48 AM   #107
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post

Our income consists mainly of qualified dividends, LTCGs, and a small amount of taxable interests.
Low property taxes, low state income tax, no mortgage, no charitable donations (we funded our DAF when we were making good money and now use that fund for making donations) = we usually don't itemize anymore and the slightly higher standard deduction for a couple can only help.[...]
This is what I am thinking, too. I never itemize any more, and hopefully the higher ($12K) standard deduction for me as a single person will lower my taxes. It's hard to tell for sure until I do my taxes but I am optimistic.

Whatever they are, I'll pay them as usual. As a retiree, my taxes have been surprisingly low thus far compared to the rates I used in my retirement planning years ago.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 12-03-2017, 10:49 AM   #108
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by catotx View Post
Here's an article on Morningstar on the FIFO proposal

The Senate's Proposed Investment-Tax Hike Is a Flop

The author seems to think that you can isolate the tax lots by using different brokers.
IMO the author is wrong because the FIFO rule will apply to the taxpayer, not to each brokerage account that the taxpayer owns. So if a taxpayer owns 100 shares of Apple bought at different times over the years and sells 100 shares, the gain will be based on the earliest bought 100 shares, even if the sale is from the most recently established brokerage.

However, it will indeed be harder for the IRS to find people who are cheating the system by reporting what the broker sends then rather than calculating their proper basis and gain as the law requires.... however, if the IRS audits you and you have been cheating, at the least they will change your returns and assess penalties and interest... at worst, if there is a consistent pattern that leads them to believe that you did this intentionally, the consequences could be more dire... possible with charges of tax fraud since it is the taxpayer's responsibility to file a return consistent with the law (irrespective of what their brokers provide to them). Just my 2 cents.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 12-03-2017, 10:52 AM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Low property taxes, low state income tax, no mortgage, no charitable donations (we funded our DAF when we were making good money and now use that fund for making donations) = we usually don't itemize anymore and the slightly higher standard deduction for a couple can only help.

The FIFO rule would be a pain though...
Don’t you ever rebalance? If you never sell shares it doesn’t affect you.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:53 AM   #110
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by catotx View Post
The FIFO proposal affects stocks and probably ETFs as well. For mutual funds, you still have the option of average cost basis. It's just that the specific ID method is taken away.
Definitely affects ETFs since they are traded like stocks.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:55 AM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It’s totally affects stocks and ETFs. If you have shares to tax lost harvest, you might want to do that this year.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:59 AM   #112
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjpliny View Post
It appears that the final senate bill has removed the Hatch amendment in sec 13611 on page 284 that originally combined the 401k/403b & 457 limits into one aggregate limit, so those who contribute to both should still be able to max both.
I don't understand how you came to that conclusion. It wasn't my understanding that the aggregate limit (for 401k/403b & 457) was removed, but that's only due to lack of seeing it in the news (searching internet for that info).
Old 12-03-2017, 11:02 AM   #113
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
So if a taxpayer owns 100 shares of Apple bought at different times over the years and sells 100 shares, the gain will be based on the earliest bought 100 shares, even if the sale is from the most recently established brokerage.
Which effectively destroys cost basis tracking.

If I sell shares and they are taxed at a cost basis different than their real cost basis, my next sale will also need to be done at a cost basis different than the one that is tracked for that next lot.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:03 AM   #114
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Don’t you ever rebalance? If you never sell shares it doesn’t affect you.
Yes, I generate LTCGs when I do rebalance. It is my understanding that the taxation of LTCGs won't change. I also have the option to rebalance my portfolio within my roth IRA to avoid generating taxable income if need be.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:04 AM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I harvest all losses each year regardless. I don't understand why one would want to spread them out and have a chance of them going away.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:12 AM   #116
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43210 View Post
I don't understand how you came to that conclusion. It wasn't my understanding that the aggregate limit (for 401k/403b & 457) was removed, but that's only due to lack of seeing it in the news (searching internet for that info).
The bill that passed yesterday is here (see page 284):
https://www.wsj.com/public/resources...LL12012017.pdf

The chairman's mark, which is where the aggregate limit across plans first appeared (see page 179) aka "The Hatch Amendment", apparently didn't make it into the bill that passed:

https://www.finance.senate.gov/imo/m...kup%2011-9.pdf

The bill which was after the Chairman's Mark, but before the final passed bill was this one:
https://www.taxreformandtransition.c...t-to-Floor.pdf

You can see in the same section as the final bill that the 457 aggregate limits are no longer there.

Unless someone can show a passed bill which includes the wording in the hatch amendment, I don't see any evidence that the aggregate limits made it into a passed bill.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:13 AM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, I generate LTCGs when I do rebalance. It is my understanding that the taxation of LTCGs won't change. I also have the option to rebalance my portfolio within my roth IRA to avoid generating taxable income if need be.
Yes it will because it will affect the size of your capital gain. When you sell shares to rebalance in your taxable accounts, do you pick specific lots to sell to lower the realized capital gains? Or do you sell the oldest shares first by default?
Old 12-03-2017, 11:17 AM   #118
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
It’s totally affects stocks and ETFs. If you have shares to tax lost harvest, you might want to do that this year.
I just read this on the Vanguard Cost Basis Elective Form

https://personal.vanguard.com/pdf/c103.pdf

Average cost– This is the default method for
conventional mutual fund shares. This method
calculates the average price for shares sold,
allocating the gains and losses evenly across
all your shares.
Average cost can be applied only to mutual funds,
stocks that have been designated for the Vanguard
Brokerage Services® dividend reinvestment program
(DRIP), and most ETFs structured as regulated
investment companies (RICs). This information
can be found in your company’s prospectus.

Notice ETFs are included as eligible for average cost basis.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:17 AM   #119
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by musher View Post
Which effectively destroys cost basis tracking.

If I sell shares and they are taxed at a cost basis different than their real cost basis, my next sale will also need to be done at a cost basis different than the one that is tracked for that next lot.
Well, I guess you could just make sure you sell from the brokerage that has the oldest shares. They will report the correct basis for that sale, and the shares you continue to hold will still have the correct basis.
Seems like a ridiculous limitation, but it is workable, without confusion, if you sell from the correct broker.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:22 AM   #120
Recycles dryer sheets

I just checked. Vanguard provides the average cost basis option for VTI

free url hosting
Closed Thread

Tags
tax