Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Tax Calculator -TAXSIM
Old 12-09-2018, 08:00 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Tax Calculator -TAXSIM

I just saw a reference to an income tax calculator that seems pretty interesting It is TAXSIM from the National Bureau of Economic Research. They offer an online calculator that returns a whole series of data, not just a tax owed amount. It looks pretty interesting but I haven't done much other than a SWAG estimate so far. Has anyone used this calculator? Any reactions to it?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2018, 09:43 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I just saw a reference to an income tax calculator that seems pretty interesting It is TAXSIM from the National Bureau of Economic Research. They offer an online calculator that returns a whole series of data, not just a tax owed amount. It looks pretty interesting but I haven't done much other than a SWAG estimate so far. Has anyone used this calculator? Any reactions to it?
Thanks! First I've heard of it. I ran a few "What If" scenarios (like various Roth conversions for 2018) and it looks good. I like that it accounts for state taxes as well.

The only time I had an issue was when I tried entering something in the top box labeled "Optional Tax Plan" (I was trying to use it to label my scenarios) and it came back with no data. Upon removing my scenario label, it worked perfectly.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:09 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Thanks! First I've heard of it. I ran a few "What If" scenarios (like various Roth conversions for 2018) and it looks good. I like that it accounts for state taxes as well.

The only time I had an issue was when I tried entering something in the top box labeled "Optional Tax Plan" (I was trying to use it to label my scenarios) and it came back with no data. Upon removing my scenario label, it worked perfectly.

omni
I looked at the input a file method and setup a Notepad+ txt file with my test input: 27 entries separated by commas. Inputting that file with the "Show detailed intermediate calculations:" set to labeled returned the same results as the original. You could save your scenario in such a file. If other users like it they will undoubtedly setup a nice spreadsheet that allows us to enter the data in an informative sheet and output a comma delimited text file we can input to taxsim.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:23 AM   #4

Interesting! I'm going to play with it. Anything that proudly proclaims it's written in FORTRAN and provides a batch mechanism via FTP makes me feel nostalgic.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 08:27 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
interesting! I'm going to play with it. Anything that proudly proclaims it's written in fortran and provides a batch mechanism via ftp makes me feel nostalgic.

Nostalgia!

-ERD50
Attached Images
File Type: gif Dilbert - four Yorkshiremen GEEKS -- .gif (65.5 KB, 45 views)
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 04:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
Interesting! I'm going to play with it. Anything that proudly proclaims it's written in FORTRAN and provides a batch mechanism via FTP makes me feel nostalgic.
I hear you

(actually, not so well, my hearing is getting worse)
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 04:28 PM   #7

I like the fact that it gives some intermediate numbers, not just the final.

I also was hoping it would do my state. But when I input "16" for my state ID (Iowa), it created an opaque error message.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 05:43 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
It's missing a lot of items:
- college related deductions and credits (American Opportunity Credit etc.)
- ACA premium tax credit
- Saver's Credit

Most inputs are on the income side, with some deductions, but almost nothing on the credit side. Does nothing to show how income affects those credits.
thefinancebuff is offline   Reply With Quote