Tax Cut SW for 2009

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
I always buy Tax-Cut when first released - at release (list) price, no less - then lament because it's not ready and can't be used. This year I'm gonna wait a bit and save a couple of $$. Problem is, I have no way of knowing when the SW is ready. Not final version, just one that has most of the tables and forms and can complete a basic return.

Anybody buy yet, and if so, can you let us know when it is working? I suspect it will be earlier this year just 'cause there was no major change in the tax code.

peace

I downloaded it this past Saturday and ran through my return. Didn't notice any problems.

P.S. -- It is now called "H&R at Home", but going to taxcut.com will still get you there.

Gumby, I've been assuming that "At Home" was just a re-branding of the Tax Cut product? Is it pretty much the same product?

Last edited:
Thanks Gumby. I'm going to get my copy.

Last year in late January, I bought a CD of TaxCut at Dollar Tree for $1.

It was the same as I paid $30 or so for last year except it was the current year version.I hope they have it again this year. Can't beat $1.
I was worried maybe it was the previous year version, but it was not. It did not include the state version, although it gave me the option to buy it(which I did not) as I was doing my return.

Last year in late January, I bought a CD of TaxCut at Dollar Tree for $1.

It was the same as I paid $30 or so for last year except it was the current year version.I hope they have it again this year. Can't beat $1.
I was worried maybe it was the previous year version, but it was not. It did not include the state version, although it gave me the option to buy it(which I did not) as I was doing my return.

Check your state tax department...in MD you can file online for free.

Keep in mind many of the software updates are due to the IRS not having some forms, etc. ready yet. Not all the software maker's fault.

TaxACT is good. Except that the free addition won't let you import any data from the last year's software. You will need to key in all the info again.

I downloaded TaxAct 2009 Free Edition on Wednesday. I haven't installed it or use it yet...but the free edition worked fine last year, so I expect the same this year. :)
I looked at the website and didn't see the system requirements. Will the Free version run on a Mac, or does it require Windows?

I know lots of folks like the online version of tax software, but I'm just not comfortable with two aspects:
-- Data security. I can't see giving all this info to yet another company and hoping that no insider steals/sells it.
-- Inconvenience of changing software brands next year (no way to import the personal data from a previous year's online version of different software.)

Hey, is somebody out there really still using a Mac! Neat! What next, an AOL email address?:)

Inconvenience of changing software brands next year (no way to import the personal data from a previous year's online version of different software.)
That is exactly why the vendors promote their online versions. Once you use it, you are locked in to using it in future years.

Vanguard Flagship clients can get TurboTax Federal Basic and Deluxe free through the Vanguard website - both the online and download versions.

No Tax Cut at Dollar tree

I checked again yesterday - looks like they won't be stocking it this year...

I also checked the Dollar Store. No luck.

I purchased a copy of the basic version, only Fed, no State.

$ 15 at Walmart.

I don't mind doing the State version by hand, since it's only a couple of pages and I just attach a copy of my Fed to it.

Back
Top Bottom