Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Were your tax deductions higher in retirement than when w*rking?
Yes, tax deductions in retirement are higher 12 23.53%
No, tax deductions when w*rking were higher 34 66.67%
I don't pay taxes 5 9.80%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Tax deductions in retirement
Old 12-30-2013, 07:01 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Tax deductions in retirement

I read a blog today about higher tax deductions in retirement. For the group here which is retired already, are your deductions higher now (health care costs, health insurance costs were examples listed) than they were when w*rking?

I would think example cited in the blog were less than common, but asking anyway.

The Retirement Cafe - Home
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2013, 07:04 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

In a word, no.
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:08 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Not really.

My tax rate is much, much lower than it was while working, though.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
Confused about dryer sheets

I answered "lower" but in reality deductions haven't changed much since the mortgage has been paid-off. This is my second year of retirement and we're still healthy, so Health Care costs are non-deductible. I have to bundle property taxes every other year in order to exceed the standard deduction.
Oleanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:16 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have more deductions mostly to now having an HSA that I was not able to have while working, and I get a big state income tax exemption amount on my pension that saves me $2000 in yearly taxes. Also retirees in my state get a deduction for paid health insurance premiums. So my taxes are appreciably less in retirement.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:19 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

We don't have enough deductions available to us anymore to exceed the Standard Deduction threshold.
retiredatfifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:23 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

None of the poll options are applicable to our situation.

Our deductions went up initially after retiring primarily due to significantly higher HI premiums. That changed once we both reached Medicare age - we no longer have enough deductions to itemize.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:32 PM   #8

No difference. Since mortgage paid off in 1996, never have enough schedule A deductions to itemize, have taken standard deduction since, retired in 2000. No option for "stayed the same" provided in poll
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:39 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I answered "No" mainly because my state income taxes went down a lot after I ERed. I have itemized in some of the years and have taken the SD in others. It depended on if my HI deduction was enough to offset the reduction in state income taxes. I have looked into bunching my estimated state income taxes (paying the 4th quarters of 2 consecutive tax years in the same calendar year) but I still have to consider the effect on the ACA subsidy because I receive a property tax rebate which becomes income in the following year, and also displaces some of my growing 0% income tax rate on LTCG and QD. I would have to figure out a 2-year effect on bunching but I have nearly a year to determine if it will benefit me.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:39 AM   #10

Our tax deductions went up, mostly due to more donations.
However, this is partially due to our income increasing by a fair amount the first few years of retirement, and now settling back down.
We lost our health deductions (no longer met the threshold), but gained donations.
Our medical bills continue to rise and our income is returning closer to our pre-retirement levels so we should soon start deducting some medical again.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:42 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

More charitable donations. Doubling up property-taxes every other year.

We added a charitable donor-advised fund this year which will allow us to make tax-deductible charitable contributions every other year, yet gift the money every year.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:47 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

We've been standard deduction since we paid off our mortgage. The rest, medical, state & prop taxes, charity, etc. hasn't been enough to exceed standard. And now that I'm retired, I doubt we'll ever itemize again.

I hope no one here has high enough medical to itemize...

Quote:
Medical expenses; 10 percent of their adjusted gross income. Previously, the law permitted deductions for unreimbursed expenses in excess of 7.5% of their adjusted gross income.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:17 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
We've been standard deduction since we paid off our mortgage. The rest, medical, state & prop taxes, charity, etc. hasn't been enough to exceed standard. And now that I'm retired, I doubt we'll ever itemize again.

I hope no one here has high enough medical to itemize...
Better to have an HSA and pay for medical expenses with pre-tax dollars.

BUT health insurance premiums count towards that medical expense deduction as do dental and vision expenses and transportation to/from treatment. With 9% being considered the "affordability" test for health insurance, it might not be so hard to reach that 10% limit.

And if you or your spouse are 65 or older it's still only 7.5% of AGI through 2016.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:21 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Better to have an HSA and pay for medical expenses with pre-tax dollars.
+1, we do as long as the account lasts. I guess I need to see if I have any HSA options in retirement, I am sure there's a thread here somewhere if we do.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:23 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Our deductions have changed mostly some medical expense and much lower tax deductions, but are much lower overall.

We now get a smidgen of benefit from the medical expense deduction because we have individual insurance which costs a lot and our income is lower. However, much lower state income tax deduction commensurate with our lower income.

No significant change in property taxes or mortgage interest. Charitable deductions are lower as well.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:24 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
+1, we do as long as the account lasts. I guess I need to see if I have any HSA options in retirement, I am sure there's a thread here somewhere if we do.
If you are under 65 and your health insurance is HSA eligible - meeting the deductible and max OOP ranges and no copays for things like doctor's visits and prescriptions - then you can set up and contribute to an HSA. You can contribute to the HSA until you reach 65 and become Medicare eligible. You can still use the account after age 65 to cover medical, dental, and vision expenses and to pay Medicare part B premiums.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:32 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jIMOh View Post
I read a blog today about higher tax deductions in retirement. For the group here which is retired already, are your deductions higher now (health care costs, health insurance costs were examples listed) than they were when w*rking?

I would think example cited in the blog were less than common, but asking anyway.

The Retirement Cafe - Home
When I followed the link, I got the home page at "Retirement Cafe". I couldn't find the word "deductions" anywhere on that page.

Maybe you could link to the specific article.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:34 AM   #18

Our deductions are higher because we hit very high medical expenses. But, covering those expenses meant extra withdrawals from the IRA. I don't see the "benefit" of those deductions.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:07 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
If you are under 65 and your health insurance is HSA eligible - meeting the deductible and max OOP ranges and no copays for things like doctor's visits and prescriptions - then you can set up and contribute to an HSA. You can contribute to the HSA until you reach 65 and become Medicare eligible. You can still use the account after age 65 to cover medical, dental, and vision expenses and to pay Medicare part B premiums.
I'm retired and DWs employer plan is not eligible, so we'd have to find another angle to restart HSA contributions. Thanks...

Old 12-31-2013, 09:24 AM   #20

Made large donations of appreciated securities to DAF in 2007 (last working year). Will not see deductions this large until I hit 70 and start doing this again.
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote