Tax loss harvesting question?

VanWinkle

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have already harvested some losses as I sold a partial lot of VFWAX(all world ex US index) OCT 10th and bought VTIAX(International index). I already have losses I would like to harvest there. No reason to wait on the VTIAX if I move to Developed International Index from the VTIAX. 31 days only applies to buying more of the VFWAX correct?

Just wanted to be sure,

VW

Was this a new position in VTIAX? If not you could still have problems, as I understand it. Here's the wash sale scenario.

1) You own VTIAX, with some shares showing a paper loss.

2) You buy more VTIAX

3) Less than 31 days later, you sell the shares that were showing a loss

But if you didn't own VTIAX before, you can sell the shares you just bought. I *think* even if you owned VTIAX before, you could sell the new shares. But what you can't do is sell shares at a loss and replace them with a buy 31 days before or after the sale.

Was this a new position in VTIAX? If not you could still have problems, as I understand it. Here's the wash sale scenario.

1) You own VTIAX, with some shares showing a paper loss.

2) You buy more VTIAX

3) Less than 31 days later, you sell the shares that were showing a loss

But if you didn't own VTIAX before, you can sell the shares you just bought. I *think* even if you owned VTIAX before, you could sell the new shares. But what you can't do is sell shares at a loss and replace them with a buy 31 days before or after the sale.

Yes, this was a new position in VTIAX, did not own any before and will replace with Developed International for the 31 days after.

Thanks RunningBum

Back
Top Bottom