Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-18-2017, 06:27 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
TaxAct doesn't work for me anymore, Im using old XP, and it didn't work.
The 2000s called and want your XP back.

Seriously, you're in line for some nice hacking given that this OS hasn't had a security update in years now.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2017, 07:30 AM   #42

used taxhawk last year and had a paid preparer do my taxes also. taxhawk was free fed and 12.95 for state and really like the software. preparer was 62. including the state and fed efiles. the returns came in within a few dollars. will be using taxhawk this year. if your income is under a certain level both fed and state are free. you can do multiple returns using different usernames and passwords, but the same email.
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:22 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFan View Post
The 2000s called and want your XP back.

Seriously, you're in line for some nice hacking given that this OS hasn't had a security update in years now.

I only use it for iTunes and taxact and occasionally other windows apps that don't run in Wine, so I run it in a virtual machine when I need to, for everything else I use Linux. I'll be looking to switch to either a free browser version or manually do it, mine is fairly simple.
I hate the new windows OS...I'll stop here before I start sounding like an old crotchety man talking about how things were better in the past.
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:31 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
I use TT Premier. I split the cost with the ole man he mails his in, I take the free e-file for getting the software loaded on his PC. Turns out to be cheaper for us sharing. Its a sharing economy now right?...
Do you know that you can both e-file since you can e-file up to 5 returns? So he could e-file if he wanted to.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:21 PM   #45

FreeTaxUSA after seeing it on this thread. Used it for the first time this year. Works great IMHO and is free (I file State return with State on-line system). I submitted the completed Federal return on 1/9 and already got a "IRS Acceptance" acknowledgement number (although the IRS will not process it until 1/23). Previously I used Tax Act (even had a discount for this year's return) for about 8 years. As long as FTUSA is there I will be using it in the future.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:52 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Be very careful if you have a complicated K1. Last year I used TaxCut and a CPA to do my taxes and the CPA saved me about $4k. Three reasons: I missed a deduction buried in the notes of the K1 (not on the main front page), TaxCut wouldn't give me all the foreign tax credits I was entitled to without several tries knowing what the right answer was, and TaxCut switched me from "active" to "passive" on my K1 without warning.
bongo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:44 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Very interesting thread!
Lstansbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:45 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

What is active versus passive on a K1?
Lstansbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 06:56 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Passive is a company that you have invested in. Active is a company that you are actively involved in the running of. The tax treatment can be slightly different between the two.
bongo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:02 AM   #50

I've used the federal "Free File" option since tax year 2013, when we no longer had any business forms to fill out.

Our state also has a similar option that was supposedly updated this year to be even easier to use.

Obviously this only works with simpler returns, but I wanted to throw it out there for those (few) on this board who don't have complex finances.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:04 AM   #51

CreditKarma free tax filing is now open to all who requested access.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 12:10 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lstansbury View Post
What is active versus passive on a K1?
I am by no means an expert on this, but I believe that the K1 does not specify active or passive. The decision to file active or passive is made on the tax return, depending on whether or not the taxpayer is materially involved in the investment. Those materially involved in the investment file the losses as active, those not materially involved file as passive.

IIRC, active losses can be claimed on the yearly return. Passive losses are carried forward until such time that you can use them.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 01:13 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
Thanks for this post. I actually only paid about $28 for TA for fed/state as I pre-ordered, but have been considering FreeTaxUSA. Only thing that has held me back is I can't find enough reviews from users. I for one would very much appreciate your posting an update review of FTU after you've completed filing. Perhaps I will try FTU next year.
I used FreeTaxUsa, I efiled both Fed and State, I have used Turbo Tax and Tax Act, FreeTaxUsa is just as easy to use as any program I have used in the past.

I help my Sister with her taxes and she has some reservations about using FreTaxUsa as it stores your tax info on their servers, so I told her we could get TaxAct for $40 if she wants to pay for it.

I logged on to TaxAct site and now the price for TaxAct Plus is $60 plus additional to efile state.

TaxAct has really raised their prices this year, I think I paid $28 last year for TaxAct Plus.
burch64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 12:55 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by burch64 View Post
TaxAct has really raised their prices this year, I think I paid $28 last year for TaxAct Plus.
New owners, new prices.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:45 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I am by no means an expert on this, but I believe that the K1 does not specify active or passive. The decision to file active or passive is made on the tax return, depending on whether or not the taxpayer is materially involved in the investment. Those materially involved in the investment file the losses as active, those not materially involved file as passive.

IIRC, active losses can be claimed on the yearly return. Passive losses are carried forward until such time that you can use them.
You are correct. I have 2 K1's every year and you understand it well.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 01:54 PM   #56

I used freetaxusa this year for the first time. I liked it, very straightforward and totally free including efile.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 11:24 AM   #57

Here's a review that includes Freetaxusa.

https://thefinancebuff.com/do-your-taxes-for-free.html

Rita
Old 02-03-2017, 12:32 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

I just had the weirdest thing happen today. I'm filing my taxes with TT and e-filing my state return and get to the point where I need to pay for the $19.99 e-file fee so TT saves the return and opens a new window for me to log in.

In the window that pops up there is a blue Continue button that I press on (the touch screen).. nothing happens so I try the stylus... nothing happens. So I call TT three times, which is a frustrating process in itself since they ask for the same info again each time I call. I update the video driver... no change.... the next rep has me uninstall and reinstall the software... no change... I'm on the phone with the next level of support for about 45 minutes and for some reason I try using the touchpad and it works like a charm! WTF!

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 09:47 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

I have done my taxes, well, every year since I have worked. I also worked as a tax guy for a number of years. I use TT and expect to continue to but this is an interesting discussion.

I think the focus should be more on efficiency, usability and security than just cost of the program. Essentially, all of this software is inexpensive for what it does. But I want to be sure the software is easy to use, accurate and saves me time. I use the PC version of the software and do not efile. I want to minimize access of my tax info to anyone, so I avoid any software requiring me to enter my info into a website.

E-filing and online software create needless risks, IMHO. I am not alone as the attached article makes clear.

Good filing and let's be careful out there.

E-filing taxes? Watch out for fraud.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 09:59 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
I have done my taxes, well, every year since I have worked. I also worked as a tax guy for a number of years. I use TT and expect to continue to but this is an interesting discussion.

I think the focus should be more on efficiency, usability and security than just cost of the program. Essentially, all of this software is inexpensive for what it does. But I want to be sure the software is easy to use, accurate and saves me time. I use the PC version of the software and do not efile. I want to minimize access of my tax info to anyone, so I avoid any software requiring me to enter my info into a website.

E-filing and online software create needless risks, IMHO. I am not alone as the attached article makes clear.

Good filing and let's be careful out there.

E-filing taxes? Watch out for fraud.
That article was specific to the Free File Program that uses websites for tax prep as well as the free efiling. Some of the vendors did pass the security tests, so someone taking this approach needs to vet their provider.

It does not encompass all efiling.