Tax Prep DIY

What is active versus passive on a K1?

I am by no means an expert on this, but I believe that the K1 does not specify active or passive. The decision to file active or passive is made on the tax return, depending on whether or not the taxpayer is materially involved in the investment. Those materially involved in the investment file the losses as active, those not materially involved file as passive.

IIRC, active losses can be claimed on the yearly return. Passive losses are carried forward until such time that you can use them.

Last edited:
Thanks for this post. I actually only paid about $28 for TA for fed/state as I pre-ordered, but have been considering FreeTaxUSA. Only thing that has held me back is I can't find enough reviews from users. I for one would very much appreciate your posting an update review of FTU after you've completed filing. Perhaps I will try FTU next year.

I used FreeTaxUsa, I efiled both Fed and State, I have used Turbo Tax and Tax Act, FreeTaxUsa is just as easy to use as any program I have used in the past.

I help my Sister with her taxes and she has some reservations about using FreTaxUsa as it stores your tax info on their servers, so I told her we could get TaxAct for $40 if she wants to pay for it.

I logged on to TaxAct site and now the price for TaxAct Plus is $60 plus additional to efile state.

TaxAct has really raised their prices this year, I think I paid $28 last year for TaxAct Plus.

I am by no means an expert on this, but I believe that the K1 does not specify active or passive. The decision to file active or passive is made on the tax return, depending on whether or not the taxpayer is materially involved in the investment. Those materially involved in the investment file the losses as active, those not materially involved file as passive.

IIRC, active losses can be claimed on the yearly return. Passive losses are carried forward until such time that you can use them.

You are correct. I have 2 K1's every year and you understand it well.

I used freetaxusa this year for the first time. I liked it, very straightforward and totally free including efile.

I just had the weirdest thing happen today. I'm filing my taxes with TT and e-filing my state return and get to the point where I need to pay for the $19.99 e-file fee so TT saves the return and opens a new window for me to log in.

In the window that pops up there is a blue Continue button that I press on (the touch screen).. nothing happens so I try the stylus... nothing happens. So I call TT three times, which is a frustrating process in itself since they ask for the same info again each time I call. I update the video driver... no change.... the next rep has me uninstall and reinstall the software... no change... I'm on the phone with the next level of support for about 45 minutes and for some reason I try using the touchpad and it works like a charm! WTF!

I have done my taxes, well, every year since I have worked. I also worked as a tax guy for a number of years. I use TT and expect to continue to but this is an interesting discussion.

I think the focus should be more on efficiency, usability and security than just cost of the program. Essentially, all of this software is inexpensive for what it does. But I want to be sure the software is easy to use, accurate and saves me time. I use the PC version of the software and do not efile. I want to minimize access of my tax info to anyone, so I avoid any software requiring me to enter my info into a website.

E-filing and online software create needless risks, IMHO. I am not alone as the attached article makes clear.

Good filing and let's be careful out there.

E-filing taxes? Watch out for fraud.

I have done my taxes, well, every year since I have worked. I also worked as a tax guy for a number of years. I use TT and expect to continue to but this is an interesting discussion.

I think the focus should be more on efficiency, usability and security than just cost of the program. Essentially, all of this software is inexpensive for what it does. But I want to be sure the software is easy to use, accurate and saves me time. I use the PC version of the software and do not efile. I want to minimize access of my tax info to anyone, so I avoid any software requiring me to enter my info into a website.

E-filing and online software create needless risks, IMHO. I am not alone as the attached article makes clear.

Good filing and let's be careful out there.

E-filing taxes? Watch out for fraud.

That article was specific to the Free File Program that uses websites for tax prep as well as the free efiling. Some of the vendors did pass the security tests, so someone taking this approach needs to vet their provider.

It does not encompass all efiling.

Thanks for the tip. Just tried it myself. I've always used TurboTax in the past, but have been experimenting this year. So far I like FreeTaxUSA the best, Taxact second, and TurboTax third. (Based on usability, not price).

Will see if I still feel that way after dealing with my 1099-Bs. That was the killer last year. Only TurboTax handled a messy 1099-B correctly.

I just eFiled, and wanted to come back with an update. I ended up using FreeTaxUSA. I did the return in TurboTax as well, and got the same numbers. I had no trouble with the 1099-Bs. Since FreeTaxUSA was only $12.95, I saved $115 by not using TurboTax.

Filed with HRBlock again this year because of the 10% rebate (We deliberately over withheld at the end of the year for the quick 10% return.)

The $500 "free" dollars in our amazon account is good return for 2 month loss of funds and the time spent in doing the taxes. (Expecting to spend a lot there this year in initial outfitting for retirement/travel)

Back
Top Bottom