Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-07-2017, 12:26 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Maybe this one: TurboTax Deluxe 2017 Federal & State + Fed Efile Tax Software
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2017, 01:43 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I wouldn't buy/download from a suspect site. See https://www.intuit.com/legal/piracy/. Think Intuit is just trying to protect their products with scare tactics? A security expert had pretty much the same warnings that you are putting your computer and data at risk. https://krebsonsecurity.com/2012/02/...-tax-software/
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:30 PM   #83
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Last year I had forced withholding so my refund was going to be large, but I couldn't justify taking the refund as an Amazon gift card. Yes, sooner or later I might spend money on Amazon, but I wasn't going to have a big "balance" on Amazon waiting to get spent. Not worth it.
One doesn't have to use their entire refund on an Amazon gift card.

We are going to use HRBlock anyways because it is cheaper AND we got sick of the TurboTax misinformation campaign to get folks to pay more for a version that they didn't need. So as long as we are using HRBlock, we might as well use the refund bonus. So suppose our tax refund amount was $11,000,299. In that case we would have $10,999,799 put into our checking account and get a gift card for $525 ($500 from refund and $25 from the bonus). The $25 bonus would more than cover the cost of the software.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:01 PM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
...and get a gift card for $525 ($500 from refund and $25 from the bonus). The $25 bonus would more than cover the cost of the software.
False accounting. Since you can easily get 5% off Amazon (e.g. various credit cards), $525 at Amazon should cost $525*0.95=$498.75 so you actually lose money. It's not a particularly good deal at all.
43210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:04 PM   #85

If you used H&R Block last year, they may send you a disk this year with a coupon that gets you the Deluxe edition (does not include state) for 19.95.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:26 PM   #86

Generally just having last year's data auto-import is a barrier to switching software, but having all your W2 and stock cost-basis and all dividend transactions auto-import is pretty sweet. I switched from TaxAct to TurboTax last year for reasons I can't recall, but I'm guessing it had something to do with making things easier overall. And now that I'm here, why switch back? Didn't hurt that I got probably my largest refund ever...
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:22 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
I want the physical CD. I don't know why. I've never reloaded that I recall, but something about having it just in case, makes me feel better. If I was to download a copy, I would make sure that I got it properly registered so there would be support in case you need it reloaded in a couple years.
Jerry1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:53 AM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I want the physical CD. I don't know why. I've never reloaded that I recall, but something about having it just in case, makes me feel better. If I was to download a copy, I would make sure that I got it properly registered so there would be support in case you need it reloaded in a couple years.
That's a good point. If you need to file amended later, you'll need that year's tax program. I've had to go back two years because the IRS caught a stock sale I missed and billed me at 0 basis unless I re-filed with the actual basis. I've got the last 4 years still on my laptop, but I do uninstall them at some point to declutter. You can keep the download files and probably reinstall from that, but a physical CD seems safer (as long as you don't lose it).
Old 12-08-2017, 06:56 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
For me, the difference is I don't use Twitter, use FB about 5 times per year to comment upon some friends posting (don't post anything myself), and tax software will detail exactly what and where you have your money, giving a map to follow to the treasure.
I don't need to make it even easier for the bad guys to empty my accounts.

So I use local tax software and encrypt it on my machine and in backups.
And then the IRS gets hacked and all your data is taken any way. Even paper-submitted data.

Seriously, using online tax software isn't making it 'easier' for anyone. Their security is probably better than the Feds. I had a false tax refund filed under my name back in 2010, before the IRS got hacked.
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 07:07 AM   #90
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I want the physical CD. I don't know why. I've never reloaded that I recall, but something about having it just in case, makes me feel better.
I feel the same.
DEC-1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:16 AM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
For any important software that comes in download form only, I always burn a copy to CD. Seems safer than just having the software sitting in a folder on my computer.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:57 AM   #92

Yep, right onto a CD, even before installing it. And I write the unlock code with a sharpie right on the CD.

And I never remove the software. I know how old my computer is by counting the tax software icons on the desktop.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:14 AM   #93

Quote:
I know how old my computer is by counting the tax software icons on the desktop.
Ha ha me too!
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:57 AM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yep, right onto a CD, even before installing it. And I write the unlock code with a sharpie right on the CD.

And I never remove the software. I know how old my computer is by counting the tax software icons on the desktop.
What I do is create a notepad (text) file and burn that along with the software to the CD. That way, if I ever need to reinstall, the unlock code is only a copy/paste away.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:37 PM   #95
Full time employment: Posting here.

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but this year I moved to an iMac computer. All previous years Turbotax was done with Microsoft Windows computer. I assume I can simply buy the Turbotax-for-Mac version, but what about importing previous year's return. Will my Mac be able to read the Microsoft version?
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 03:27 PM   #96

No problem. Just copy your last years tax file onto a thumb drive and drag it into your mac.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/19...rbotax-for-mac
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 03:35 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbo111 View Post
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but this year I moved to an iMac computer. All previous years Turbotax was done with Microsoft Windows computer. I assume I can simply buy the Turbotax-for-Mac version, but what about importing previous year's return. Will my Mac be able to read the Microsoft version?
I think it tries to find the .tax file first, and maybe those from other tax programs, but canj use a .pdf file. I don't know if you can just move a .tax file over to your Mac and have it be able to read it, but the .pdf file should be universal, isn't it? Obviously you're going to have to move one or both files over to the Mac.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:23 PM   #98
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
And then the IRS gets hacked and all your data is taken any way. Even paper-submitted data.

Seriously, using online tax software isn't making it 'easier' for anyone. Their security is probably better than the Feds. I had a false tax refund filed under my name back in 2010, before the IRS got hacked.
You surely are increasing risk by providing your tax data in electronic form to an intermediary.

A hack of IRS is a constant regardless of filing method.

No shock, I file on paper.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:50 AM   #99

For those still looking for tax software, the H&R Block Deluxe package (Federal and State) is back down to $29.99 with a 5% refund bonus.

H&R Block Tax Software Deluxe + State 2017 + 5% Refund Bonus Offer [PC Download]
Old 01-12-2018, 12:41 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

How does the 5% refund bonus work?

Will this software transfer data from last year's TaxAct?