Join Early Retirement Today

Tax Question from Tax Moron
Old 08-10-2020, 06:23 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Tax Question from Tax Moron

Quick tax question for those Tax Gods out there:

I'm trying to estimate my taxable income for 2020.

If I sell an ETF or mutual fund that has increased in value, and that I've held over a year, I assume that only the LTCG is included in my taxable income?

So, for example, assuming I have no other income for illustration purposes, if I sell $50,000 worth of ETF shares I've owned for over a year, and my basis is $10,000, then my 2020 taxable income will be $40,000?

(No snickering, please.)

Thanks in advance for your input.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2020, 06:27 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Money View Post
Quick tax question for those Tax Gods out there:

I'm trying to estimate my taxable income for 2020.

If I sell an ETF or mutual fund that has increased in value, and that I've held over a year, I assume that only the LTCG is included in my taxable income?

So, for example, assuming I have no other income for illustration purposes, if I sell $50,000 worth of ETF shares I've owned for over a year, and my basis is $10,000, then my 2020 taxable income will be $40,000?

(No snickering, please.)

Thanks in advance for your input.
Correct you will pay tax on the gain, at long term capital gains rates as you have held for more than a year. Long term is a lower tax rate than ordinary income, if you stay in the 15% bracket you may not be taxed at all on the gain. State tax will vary by state. usually taxed at regular ordinary income tax rates,
rothlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 06:28 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

in your example with no other income, there would be a tax of 0
Old 08-10-2020, 06:36 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Got it; but so I'm sure I understand: In my hypothetical, my 2020 taxable income is $40,000, not $50,000?

Thanks.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:50 AM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Got it; but so I'm sure I understand: In my hypothetical, my 2020 taxable income is $40,000, not $50,000?

Thanks.
Correct. The figure $50,000 will be shown on Schedule D as the proceeds of the sale and capital gain of $40,000 will also be shown on Schedule D. $40,000 will also appear as capital gain income on line 6 of your 1040.
Old 08-10-2020, 07:14 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

your taxable income is figured after your standard or itemized deduction. which if you are single is 12,400, so AGI is 40k taxable income is 27,600. which is in the 12% bracket. so 0 tax on the federal
Old 08-10-2020, 07:59 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Thanks.
You income will be $40,000 ($50,000 proceeds less $10,000 basis)... your taxable income will be less than $40,000 since it will be after the higher of the standard or itemized deductions based on your filing status.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA TBD
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 08:18 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks so much, everyone.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:04 AM   #9

I'm afraid you don't qualify for full moron status; a full moron would not have understood the term "basis", and would not have included it in the OP. My broken record response to most tax questions is "type this year's data into last year's tax software for a PDG estimate of how things will turn out"
sengsational is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:29 PM   #10
Dryer sheet wannabe

I use this Kitces article to understand how "income stacking" and taxes work.

Your 1099-B will show total sale amount. In your tax software you enter your cost basis (along with dates) and it calculates gains.

https://www.kitces.com/blog/long-ter...ase-in-0-rate/

Use taxcaster to fine tune your plan.
kskmfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 06:09 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I prefer https://www.dinkytown.net/java/1040-tax-calculator.html over Taxcaster... easier to use IMO.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA TBD
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:05 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

One wrinkle. If you were having dividends re-invested, you could have some short term gains, you could have some wash sales.

That is why I prefer to not have dividends re-invested unless I'm doing it myself with tax considerations in mind.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:11 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I prefer https://www.dinkytown.net/java/1040-tax-calculator.html over Taxcaster... easier to use IMO.
The dinkytown and (what is apparently the same engine at) mortgagecalculator programs do appear the best of the web sites.

The Excel1040 and Case Study Spreadsheet programs appear the best of the spreadsheets.

"Best" meaning "calculating the most credits and additional taxes encountered by personal filers."
SevenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:55 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
One wrinkle. If you were having dividends re-invested, you could have some short term gains, you could have some wash sales.

That is why I prefer to not have dividends re-invested unless I'm doing it myself with tax considerations in mind.

-ERD50
If you have gains, short sales do not apply. If you have loses, they may apply and likely on no more than two lots resulting in little consequence especially if you download your tax info.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:35 PM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

-ERD50
OP probably could use specific identification to avoid selling the short term lots and/or lots with losses so as to avoid wash sales.

(While I agree with you about not reinvesting dividends for the reasons you mention, the specific ID method can help address them.)
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote