Join Early Retirement Today

Tax question - K-1 for IRA holding
Old 03-25-2015, 06:55 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Tax question - K-1 for IRA holding

I bought some SVXY (ProShares short VIX futures ETF) in my Rollover IRA. Yesterday I received a K-1 for this holding. It showed appreciation in the value of the shares but there was no Unrelated Business Income shown in Box 20. Can I just ignore this for my Federal income tax filing since it is held in a tax-deferred account?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2015, 07:19 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just off-the-cuff I would think so since IRA income isn't taxed until it is withdrawn.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:20 AM   #3

With no UBI its sounds to me as though there is nothing to report.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:20 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Ignore it completely regardless of what it says. It doesn't apply to an IRA.
Bruce
Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:12 AM   #5
Confused about dryer sheets

Not exactly. If Box 1 or 2 has an amount in it, and that amount in the aggregate for your IRA adding up all K-1s is greater than (I think) $600, then you have UBI and the IRA custodian must file an income tax return and pay tax on the UBI. So, for example, NEVER buy a MLP in your IRA, as they generate ordinary income.

The Proshares partnerships as far as I know have never thrown off any box 1 or 2 income, so they probably can be ignored. But I would look to see, being OCD.
lereh892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 12:10 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I have an MLP in my IRA and each year, the account custodian files the tax report for the MPL as they are required to do. All I prove them is the K-1 information from the MLP which I have sent to me.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:47 PM   #7

Here's some more info:

How to Report a K-1 on an IRA Account | Finance - Zacks

"IRA and UBIT
If your IRA earns more than $1,000 in unrelated business income as reported on the K-1s you received, the IRA must pay unrelated business income tax -- UBIT -- on the amount above the $1,000 cutoff. Not all of the distributions you receive from MLP investments will be UBI, and many partnership investments will report little or no UBI on the K-1s they send out. If the K-1s you received total to less than $1,000 in UBI, there is nothing you need to do. With more than $1,000 in UBI you need to contact your IRA custodian."
Old 03-25-2015, 05:09 PM   #8

Thanks to all for your input. On the K-1 that I received, Boxes 1 and 2 were blank in addition to Box 20. You have re-enforced my initial inclination to ignore the K-1 in filing my tax return.