Tax Refund Accounting

I treat my tax refund as a reduction in that year's spending.

But I'm pretty new to credit cards. I now have the Amazon card and the points give me reductions on my Amazon purchases. However I have been counting the full purchase price as what I spent. Maybe I should think about that.

I'm glad we have a system that lets you pay as you go - it's not really catching up after the fact since you pay 2 weeks after each quarter end and taxes are only owed quarterly. So you simply pay what is owed "on time".

It's a complicated system and I had to build some clever spreadsheets, but way better, IMO than having to way overpay taxes because you can't predict current year income.

Sounds better than ours as we pay 2 weeks before the end of the quarter. Can't catch up for previous shortfalls.

Sounds better than ours as we pay 2 weeks before the end of the quarter. Can't catch up for previous shortfalls.
2 weeks before the end of the quarter! Wow! Yeah, pretty much impossible if you have to pay taxes before you know your actual income!

How do you treat the thousands of dollars of cash-back money from your credit card?

I started this thread/poll as kind of a joke, but some people have a significant amount of money in these things. I don't...just a few bucks from Discover and a few bucks from my Arrival card.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom