Join Early Retirement Today

Tax Refund in <3 days!
Old 02-10-2024, 04:22 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Tax Refund in <3 days!

Didn't see a 2023 thread. Filed my taxes (FreeTaxUSA) on Wednesday, and the refund was processed by Friday as I show a pending deposit at my CU this morning. Less than a 3 day turn around by the IRS. I think that's a record for me, my filing was delayed a few days until I got home from a trip to visit family during which my last 1099 arrived.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2024, 04:28 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm still waiting on 2022
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 06:02 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I never get a refund!

Mike
wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 06:16 AM   #4

That is quick. I’ve gotten it in about 7-10 days in the past.

I can’t file until I get my brokerage 1099 which may not be until early March.
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 07:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigley View Post
I never get a refund!

Mike
if I do, it usually means I made a mistake at some point
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 07:57 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebmke View Post
I never get excited over giving the government more $$$ than they require and then they return it to me months later with no interest.

How did we get to being excited about the return of our money that the government should not have held in the first place?
FlaMariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 08:53 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

DGF received her final tax document (brokerage consolidated 1099) from Fidelity today so I can finish up her taxes.

Still waiting on the same form for me from Schwab so I can wrap mine up.

first time she has ever received all of her tax forms before me. Think I'll go somewhere to pout.
5Miler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 08:59 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigley View Post
I never get a refund!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaMariner View Post
I never get excited over giving the government more $$$ than they require and then they return it to me months later with no interest.

How did we get to being excited about the return of our money that the government should not have held in the first place?
How about those of us who planned our tax withholding to be within $100 of what we owe yet will get back a nice refund? I had an unplanned $2K tax credit resulting from the replacement of a heat pump HVAC system in November.

I'm shamelessly happy about my refund.
Old 02-10-2024, 09:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaMariner View Post

Indeed; I am happy to pay my taxes when they are due. I don't get excited about taxes. I live in a high tax state by choice. There are no zero tax states I would ever choose to live in and the moderate tax states adjacent to me are not interesting either. One of our favorite places we lived was in a very high tax country.
Old 02-10-2024, 09:38 AM   #10

Whether I pay or get a refund, never file much before April due to getting corrected 1099s and doing amended returns are a PIA.
Old 02-10-2024, 09:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Whether I pay or get a refund, never file much before April due to getting corrected 1099s and doing amended returns are a PIA.
I do a lot of returns each year -- 50-100. I find doing an amended return is pretty simple if the original is on the same software - often less time than the original return. Especially now that amendments can be e-filed.
Old 02-10-2024, 09:50 AM   #12

I'm with Wrigley; what the hell is a refund? I pay est quarterlies and it seems like I am still writing a big check come April ��
Old 02-10-2024, 09:52 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSUnFIRE View Post
Didn't see a 2023 thread. Filed my taxes (FreeTaxUSA) on Wednesday, and the refund was processed by Friday as I show a pending deposit at my CU this morning. Less than a 3 day turn around by the IRS. I think that's a record for me, my filing was delayed a few days until I got home from a trip to visit family during which my last 1099 arrived.
^^^^^^Made me look and yes my Ga. state tax refund was there. Now we have to figure out how to spend all $6.00 of it !
Venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 10:22 AM   #14

I'm still waiting on 2021. (My Congress Critter's staff is also getting only promises about it. They called me last week and asked if I received it and were surprised when I said No.)

I sent my 2023 in on Feb. 6 so, as of today, I am beyond the OP's three days.
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 10:26 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkevin View Post
I'm with Wrigley; what the hell is a refund? I pay est quarterlies and it seems like I am still writing a big check come April ��
Dividends are up in 2023 and especially if you have bonds in your account you can get hit hard in April. On the other hand, you made more money so hard to complain.
Old 02-10-2024, 10:47 AM   #16

Quote:
I do a lot of returns each year -- 50-100. I find doing an amended return is pretty simple if the original is on the same software - often less time than the original return. Especially now that amendments can be e-filed.

I worked for HRB for five years and VITA for two and agree with you, but they are still a PIA and can be avoided by just making sure you aren't going to get a corrected 1099 or other tax document later in the season. It's really about patience as much as anything, measure twice, cut once so to speak.
Old 02-10-2024, 11:00 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
I worked for HRB for five years and VITA for two and agree with you, but they are still a PIA and can be avoided by just making sure you aren't going to get a corrected 1099 or other tax document later in the season. It's really about patience as much as anything, measure twice, cut once so to speak.
I agree. But if I were expecting a significant refund, I would likely not wait past April or maybe May after which the chances of a material correction diminish for most.
Old 02-10-2024, 11:11 AM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Regardless of how you feel about refunds, if the Gov’t owes you getting your money in 3 days is fantastic. Transferring your own money between accounts often takes longer. Congrats.
Old 02-10-2024, 11:21 AM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Looked today and lo and behold our final brokerage 1099 is available. This may be a record.

Knock on wood we haven’t had a corrected 1099 in maybe 10 years. It helps that we’ve simplified things and have far fewer non-Fidelity funds. This is also the main reason I think that our 1099s are available earlier.

Not expecting a refund. And if we end up getting one we always apply to the following year estimated taxes.
Old 02-10-2024, 11:32 AM   #20

Got my final Fidelity 1099 today, so just the Schwab left. Should be here next week.