Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-23-2020, 11:09 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSUnFIRE View Post
So which service to you all recommend? (perhaps should make a poll/discussion thread).
Turbo Tax. I tried saving a few bucks with H&R Block but had a few problems with it, documented at https://www.early-retirement.org/for...ml#post2064377 .
When a tax program error results in a letter from the IRS, I'm not going to use that program anymore. HRB resulted in two separate letters. I went back to Turbo Tax for good after that.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2020, 01:14 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
So which service to you all recommend? (perhaps should make a poll/discussion thread). I had been using TaxAct.. started out very budget friendly but somehow seem to the the most expensive now (any investment income kicks you into the $80 tier -at least until they offer discounts). I'm sort of fed up with the spike in the prices and have no reason to stay in their ecosystem (was nice when I had carryover losses from harvesting in 2008 but I've burned all that up). I don't need hand holding, just want easy and quick entry and double-checks. Homeowner, do not itemize as I'm well below the threshold, HSA, Cap Gains/Div income. I'm almost tempted to do a paper return but willing to pay some for convenience and electronic filing.

Also, does anyone retired maintain their income under the threshold to use the "Free File" and are there any gotchas that will trip up FIREes if they try; "form WKYHA is not supported under the Free File program." Not relevant to me this year but hopefully for 2021.

FLSunFIRE

WKYHA (We Know You Have Assets)
I loved and used TaxAct for many, many years. I think the folks who started TaxAct were Parson's Tax Edge alumni. But, like you said, their prices skyrocketed to beyond reasonable. I think they were bought. Last year I purchased TurboTax from Costco. I missed TaxAct but there was no way in h*ll I was paying what they were charging. It was a huge percentage increase from the prior year. Like 40%.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 04:02 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
So which service to you all recommend? (perhaps should make a poll/discussion thread). I had been using TaxAct.. started out very budget friendly but somehow seem to the the most expensive now (any investment income kicks you into the $80 tier -at least until they offer discounts)......
I use H&R Block for the past decade.
Never got any IRS letters.
I have/had: self employment (no employees), rental, dividends, stock sales, roth conversions, roth contributions, option trades, regular employment.

So I have found H&R Block worked ok for me but I never did recharacterizations.

I did use TT one year, oddly it was low cost, but then the next year they excluded some basic forms unless a person upgraded so I switched and never looked back.
Old 10-23-2020, 04:37 PM   #44

This topic amuses me every year. A bunch of fairly well to do people trying to save $10-$20 on tax prep software. Heaven forbid any of us pay full price

BUT, buying Tesla's is OKAY
Old 10-23-2020, 07:07 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
I agree with you. Iím not trying to convert the exact ideal number as I recognize there may be some income Iím missing without having 1099s in hand. By right amount, Iím shooting for close to top of what I ideally would like to do with factoring in a cushion so that I donít go over that amount.
Ah... remember the good old days where you could convert, calculate your tax return and recharacterize any excess? I had a number of years in a row where my taxable income was exactly equal to the top of the 15% tax bracket!

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 07:08 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
This topic amuses me every year. A bunch of fairly well to do people trying to save $10-$20 on tax prep software. Heaven forbid any of us pay full price

You are right. We are a strange bunch.

We are all strange in our own special ways... some more than others.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 08:04 PM   #47

Quote:

Get off my lawn!
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 09:57 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Only if I can get it on a deal..... like free oil changes for life
Old 10-23-2020, 10:21 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Some were early birds in order to get free supercharging. They often remind others of that privilege that late comers do not get.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 11:57 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
I just checked the web site. I guess HR Block is not supporting Windows 7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Since: "Extended support ended on January 14, 2020, ten years after the release of Windows 7, after which the operating system ceased receiving further support or security updates to most users."

I think any company concerned about security issues would not produce software to work on Windows 7.
Last year Turbotax did not support Windows 7, but it did run on it. You just had to dismiss an annoying message each tie you started the program saying that you were running on an unsupported OS.

BTW you can still upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 for free, even though the offer supposedly ended a long time ago.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-...ws-10-upgrade/

Costco typically puts Turbotax on sale, I'm thinking after Thanksgiving but I could be wrong. That triggers everyone else to match their price.

Oh, and if you are a Private Client at Fidelity (or some other qualifier which is hard to nail down), they offer TT Premier for free around the end of December. Last year it didn't show up until January. I see there are some threads here about it.
MisterBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 12:07 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Well if price is really not a concern, we'd be paying someone to prepare the returns for us.
explanade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:18 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndLovingIt View Post
I just got an e-mail from Turbotax letting me know that the program will be available at retailers Friday November 27th.
Their pricing which is always far more than I've ever paid on Black Friday
Deluxe $70
Premier $100
Home and Business $110.
Yeah, those prices are list, and you can always do much better. I've been getting H&B through Amazon for a while now. That is beneficial if you need to go back and download old versions too.

Just checked and H&B cost $79.99 in 2019. Placed the order 11-6-19. I expect there will be an early order benefit this year also.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 10:06 AM   #53
Full time employment: Posting here.

I used both H&R Block and Turbo Tax. They are both good yet Turbo Tax is a bit more convenient in use, while H&R is less expensive. I will wait for the Turbo Tax
VFK57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 04:19 PM   #54
Full time employment: Posting here.

Talking to the lady who just ordered 6 tubes of hrr toothpaste on Amazon bc it was on a special deal. Yes I can pay full price, but why??
Quote:
Only if I can get it on a deal..... like free oil changes for life
MrsHaloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 11:46 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

I was at a mall today that charges for parking ($3 minimum). They have an area where you can park free for 30 minutes to run in and pick something up. There was a Maserati SUV parked there today. Those go for $100k and up. Similar concept to getting TT free/discounted even though we could afford to pay regular price.
MisterBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 08:14 AM   #56
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsHaloFIRE View Post
Talking to the lady who just ordered 6 tubes of hrr toothpaste on Amazon bc it was on a special deal. Yes I can pay full price, but why??
To be able to make valuable end-of-year financial decisions early that may be missed if you wait too long.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 08:30 AM   #57

I hope I hope the H&R Block works on my (currently extended support) Windows 7. I ran it on XP when it was not supported, so I expect it will run fine. I'm not planning to move to the steaming heap that is Windows 10. I'm off to *nix land when extended support ends.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:50 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I hope I hope the H&R Block works on my (currently extended support) Windows 7. I ran it on XP when it was not supported, so I expect it will run fine. I'm not planning to move to the steaming heap that is Windows 10. I'm off to *nix land when extended support ends.
I've been using *nix for at least 8 yrs now. But still keep a Windows machine available just for running tax software. I don't like doing it online, prefer it on my machine.

How will you run tax software
Old 10-25-2020, 11:20 AM   #59

Quote:
How will you run tax software
I thought it would work on Wine compatibility layer. But if you asked the question, it makes me believe my plan is faulty. I could always do it on the web, but like many of us, I feel better about having the software and the data on one local machine.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 11:37 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I thought it would work on Wine compatibility layer. But if you asked the question, it makes me believe my plan is faulty. I could always do it on the web, but like many of us, I feel better about having the software and the data on one local machine.
Wine seems to only work with old XP type software (I still run Quicken 2000), youíd be better off running a virtualbox image. There are free to use Windows images (7, 8, 10), with limitations of course.
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote