Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-25-2020, 11:40 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'd look for a cheap Windows 10 refurb and run tax software from there.

An emulator is fine, but no guarantee things work into the future.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2020, 12:08 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
I'd look for a cheap Windows 10 refurb and run tax software from there.

An emulator is fine, but no guarantee things work into the future.
I also worried that a virtualbox machine with a test image, would not work during 7 yrs into the future, as I upgrade my machine over the years.
Old 10-25-2020, 12:12 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
Wine seems to only work with old XP type software (I still run Quicken 2000), youd be better off running a virtualbox image. There are free to use Windows images (7, 8, 10), with limitations of course.
I like that idea. If the tax software just will not run at all on anything I already have, I could stomach a temporary virtual box. I found this page [ https://www.scivision.dev/free-windo...achine-images/ ] for an official way to run Windows 10 for 90 days. That's plenty of time. As to buying separate hardware to run one program on the latest heap that Microsoft produces, I can't make myself do that. It's not that I couldn't afford it, it's that I don't want to encourage Microsoft in any way, including buying a used license.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:13 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I also worried that a virtualbox machine with a test image, would not work during 7 yrs into the future, as I upgrade my machine over the years.
I have very little experience with that. Might be something to tinker with next shut-in phase...
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 02:29 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I like that idea. If the tax software just will not run at all on anything I already have, I could stomach a temporary virtual box. I found this page [ https://www.scivision.dev/free-windo...achine-images/ ] for an official way to run Windows 10 for 90 days. That's plenty of time. As to buying separate hardware to run one program on the latest heap that Microsoft produces, I can't make myself do that. It's not that I couldn't afford it, it's that I don't want to encourage Microsoft in any way, including buying a used license.
I'd just download an actual MS windows 10 trial version from MS, and install it on a VM. It works.
Of course I cannot find where I got it from but here is a MS VM

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-u...tual-machines/

But what do you do in 3 yrs or more if you need to run that software again? I suppose a person could keep an image of the entire VM so not to rely on finding another ?

Let us know what you end up doing as it may save me from buying another Windows machine in a few years.
Old 10-25-2020, 06:55 PM   #66
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
So what, why would you care that your 2020 tax software wont run on your machine in 2027?
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 06:59 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

I keep tax software from over a decade ago.

It should have all the supporting docs in there but I suppose I can go in and save all those forms with supporting data in PDF format,
explanade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 07:05 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I ran HR block software on a VM image, actually works better than a native windows system, I think its because of less junk, just pure OS. They do allow you to renew the license to extend the trial period, at least they did with Windows 7 image. I just saved pdf to usb drive and transfer to my native (Linux) system for printing and archival.
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:45 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
So what, why would you care that your 2020 tax software wont run on your machine in 2027?
I would care if the IRS decided to audit my return, it would be much easier to run the software, than to re-do everything on paper changing the numbers due to some disagreement on 1 item.
Often changing 1 number makes many forms and numbers change in the flow of the calculations.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:45 PM   #70
Full time employment: Posting here.

Buy a used windows 10 mini pc for cheap on eBay, or a windows 10 pc stick for $79 from Amazon.

I keep a cheap used sff windows 10 box, turned off, in case my Macs can’t be used for something...pretty darn rare.
Old 10-27-2020, 04:34 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

I am thinking of pulling the trigger on this deal. I have used Taxcut for years. I figure if I get even the unfinished version before December, I can use it to plug in numbers and may be able to convert more pre-tax IRA to Roth this year.
imnontrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 11:26 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I would care if the IRS decided to audit my return, it would be much easier to run the software, than to re-do everything on paper changing the numbers due to some disagreement on 1 item.
Often changing 1 number makes many forms and numbers change in the flow of the calculations.
You should save a complete return to PDF after filing, including all supporting documents.
MisterBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 11:28 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnontrad View Post
I am thinking of pulling the trigger on this deal. I have used Taxcut for years. I figure if I get even the unfinished version before December, I can use it to plug in numbers and may be able to convert more pre-tax IRA to Roth this year.
Unless you're planning to start now I'd really suggest waiting at least until Black Friday for a better deal. The early deals are never the best.
Old 10-28-2020, 05:39 AM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

Has anyone had issues with transitioning the old data from H&R to TT or vice-versa?

Been on H&R for the last 7-8 years, so want to make sure I can create based on last year's data.
Paulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 10:21 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBill View Post
You should save a complete return to PDF after filing, including all supporting documents.
That's great for records to look up, and I agree.

I do save PDF versions and documentation sent to me (divs, interest, etc).
I save the official PDF submit version, and the all inclusive version.
Old 10-28-2020, 10:25 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulz View Post
Has anyone had issues with transitioning the old data from H&R to TT or vice-versa?

Been on H&R for the last 7-8 years, so want to make sure I can create based on last year's data.
I'd save the data form of the return the software uses, plus the PDF versions to be safe.

Years ago, I transitioned from H&R to TT (got it free and wanted to try it) and then back to H&R (when TT excluded standard forms unless upgrade) without any issues.
Have stuck with H&R for past many years.
Old 10-28-2020, 01:05 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSUnFIRE View Post
So which service to you all recommend? (perhaps should make a poll/discussion thread). I had been using TaxAct.. started out very budget friendly but somehow seem to the the most expensive now (any investment income kicks you into the $80 tier -at least until they offer discounts). I'm sort of fed up with the spike in the prices and have no reason to stay in their ecosystem (was nice when I had carryover losses from harvesting in 2008 but I've burned all that up). I don't need hand holding, just want easy and quick entry and double-checks. Homeowner, do not itemize as I'm well below the threshold, HSA, Cap Gains/Div income. I'm almost tempted to do a paper return but willing to pay some for convenience and electronic filing.
Last year I made the switch from FreeFillableForms to https://www.freetaxusa.com/software.jsp
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 02:53 PM   #78

I always get TT deluxe download from Amazon. You can go back to your digital library and download it again if necessary years later because you obtained a new computer.
Old 11-04-2020, 09:21 AM   #79

Amazon has a sale on TurboTax today. Deluxe plus state is $49.99 with a $10 Amazon gift card. I think that’s generally as low as it has gone in past years.

https://www.amazon.com/TurboTax-Soft...DKIKX0DER&th=1
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 09:24 AM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
Amazon has a sale on TurboTax today. Deluxe plus state is $49.99 with a $10 Amazon gift card. I think that’s generally as low as it has gone in past years.

https://www.amazon.com/TurboTax-Soft...DKIKX0DER&th=1
Is that really as cheap as it has gotten? I think it will be cheaper. I'd only buy now if you really want to have it early for tax planning purposes and will use it right away. Otherwise, wait for Black Friday weekend, or if you don't need it then, wait for the end of the year.