Tax software deals

Has anyone had issues with transitioning the old data from H&R to TT or vice-versa?

Been on H&R for the last 7-8 years, so want to make sure I can create based on last year's data.

I'd save the data form of the return the software uses, plus the PDF versions to be safe.

Years ago, I transitioned from H&R to TT (got it free and wanted to try it) and then back to H&R (when TT excluded standard forms unless upgrade) without any issues.
Have stuck with H&R for past many years.

So which service to you all recommend? (perhaps should make a poll/discussion thread). I had been using TaxAct.. started out very budget friendly but somehow seem to the the most expensive now (any investment income kicks you into the $80 tier -at least until they offer discounts). I'm sort of fed up with the spike in the prices and have no reason to stay in their ecosystem (was nice when I had carryover losses from harvesting in 2008 but I've burned all that up). I don't need hand holding, just want easy and quick entry and double-checks. Homeowner, do not itemize as I'm well below the threshold, HSA, Cap Gains/Div income. I'm almost tempted to do a paper return but willing to pay some for convenience and electronic filing.

Last year I made the switch from FreeFillableForms to https://www.freetaxusa.com/software.jsp

I always get TT deluxe download from Amazon. You can go back to your digital library and download it again if necessary years later because you obtained a new computer.

Amazon has a sale on TurboTax today. Deluxe plus state is $49.99 with a $10 Amazon gift card. I think that’s generally as low as it has gone in past years.

https://www.amazon.com/TurboTax-Sof...f=gbps_tit___1581392f?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1

Is that really as cheap as it has gotten? I think it will be cheaper. I'd only buy now if you really want to have it early for tax planning purposes and will use it right away. Otherwise, wait for Black Friday weekend, or if you don't need it then, wait for the end of the year.

I could be wrong, but according to CamelCamelCamel, $39.80 was as low as it went last fall, which is basically this price.

The low prices from last year were $40 for Deluxe + State and $30 for Deluxe w/o State.

With the gift card this matches last year’s lowest prices.

Download version of the software, but they mail a physical discount card. I'd rather it be swapped. Oh well. I bought it.

I bought it too. Apparently I had a $10 software credit from something I bought on Prime Day so it ended up costing me $29.99 after the credit and gift card for Deluxe + State. Pretty good deal.

Unless I missed something that Amazon deal is only for the download version? I want the disc so guess I will have to wait.
*Looks like I bought it 12/29 last year for $39.99. (deluxe with state)

Last edited:
Unless I missed something that Amazon deal is only for the download version? I want the disc so guess I will have to wait.
*Looks like I bought it 12/29 last year for $39.99. (deluxe with state)

What benefit is there to having the disc?

Probably none except that is what I want to do. :) I do save them though with the return so could be loaded later if I wanted to I suppose.
However to download it now I would have to get up and dust off the win 10 which i never touch and I do not want to do that when I am perfectly happy here right now with cat on lap.

Last edited:
LOL. Same here..I am COL (Cat On Lap) and need to crank up the rarely used Windows 10 machine, when the cat releases me.

The disc era is closing, except for those who still have cd/dvd trays.

Yeah, the future is staring us right in the face. Found myself looking for bulk deals on low-capacity flash drives (for boot media).
:angel:

3 Chromebooks laptops, 1 Windows 10 laptop no CD trays. Download version for me.

I should’ve followed this thread more closely. I decided to give TT a try this year instead of H&R Block. I just always thought TT is overpriced. The Amazon TT bundle has gone up to $59 now. Guess I’ll wait to see if it drops again.

The disc era is closing, except for those who still have cd/dvd trays.

Yeah, the future is staring us right in the face. Found myself looking for bulk deals on low-capacity flash drives (for boot media).
:angel:

Awk... I have about 400 I need to use up quickly :facepalm:
Just ordered a bunch of 16GB flash drives to help me through transition. Think I have about 50 CDs and 50 DVDr's too.

I have been going to H&R brick and morter but being self employed it costs over $600. I think I should be able to do it on my own online, right? That would cost 1/3 as much I think. Even if I have to file in multiple states plus Federal plus filing fees. Paying ~$200 is better than $600+.

I have been going to H&R brick and morter but being self employed it costs over $600. I think I should be able to do it on my own online, right? That would cost 1/3 as much I think. Even if I have to file in multiple states plus Federal plus filing fees. Paying ~$200 is better than $600+.
If you're keeping good digital records, it's pretty simple to pull expenses and fill in the forms.

About $80-100 should cover the software for 2 states. You'f file FED electroncially and mail in the states. That's what I do.

If you're real busy it could eat into your work time.

The disc era is closing, except for those who still have cd/dvd trays ...
I just moved from a Surface 3 (with a dead WiFi radio) to a new Surface 7 and was surprised at the number if install packages I had to find and re-download. For most it was fairly easy but Adobe made it almost impossible for Lightroom.

I am now saving all downloaded packages locally on an NAS drive that is regularly backed up. If I need a re-install, I will have it, although it may not be the latest version and need an upgrade.

If you're keeping good digital records, it's pretty simple to pull expenses and fill in the forms.

About $80-100 should cover the software for 2 states. You'f file FED electroncially and mail in the states. That's what I do.

If you're real busy it could eat into your work time.

It's $105 for Federal, right? So around $200 total and I have to print out and send in paper form of State taxes.

It's $105 for Federal, right? So around $200 total and I have to print out and send in paper form of State taxes.
I just purchased and downloaded 2020 Turbotax Home and Business. That will e-file FED and includes 1 State (efile not included) - $79.99. After you install your download it is easy to add another state, and I think it is $19.95 for additional states.

I do my own with H&R software (as it's cheaper than TT, and works for me).
I am self employed , and a landlord, plus interest, SS equivalent, stock sales and option trades.

I use the deluxe version as I'm used to using it, otherwise I'd go for the Premium version at $65 (today) for the Federal + 1 State.
You add more States for extra amount (I think around $37 ea).

When done you can file electronically for free for the Fed 5 times. And free for 1 State filing (don't know if buying another State includes the filing for that State).

You can print and file on paper as much as you want for free, so you can also do friends returns for fun ;)

So for around $102 you can do it all.

If you have a "real" business, employees, etc, then I'd go for the business tax software, on the site you can see which covers what circumstances by comparing:

https://www.hrblock.com/tax-software/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom