Tax software functionality and deals

Brat

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
H&R Block is offering $15 off Delux + State - $39.95, download available November 7.

What has been the history of those offers to pre-existing customers?

So, is the price $24.95 (i.e., $39.95 minus $15) or is it $39.95 after the $15 discount?

If it's $24.95, that's a pretty good deal. If not, wait until Black Friday and buy it from NewEgg. Last year I got Deluxe+State for $22.50 with a NewEgg discount in late November.

I don't know the price that has been typical for HR Block, but this is definitely early. I'll be keeping an eye out for Turbo Tax. It looks like the retailers are going to roll out Black Friday throughout the month of November instead of waiting until the day after Thanksgiving.

Basic is on sale for $19.95, which has always done all that I need including investments, IRA distributions and Roth conversions. My state's taxes are fairly simple and they have fillable forms online for free. Although a full-fledged software package would be nice, for me it's not worth paying double.

All that said, at $20 there's not much room for further discounts. Although I might save another 3 to 5 bucks if I wait for Black Friday, maybe downloading now so I can use it for planning purposes is worth it.

I paid $21.95 HRB deluxe and state through Amazon on Black Friday last year. I'm sure it will be higher this year.

TurboTax Premier is on sale for $69.99 today. This is $20 less than yesterday. The software was released today. As with the comments above for H&R Block, it will go lower in time, but I’m a “give it to me now” type of shopper. I downloaded and installed it today.

TurboTax Premier is on sale for $69.99 today. This is $20 less than yesterday. The software was released today. As with the comments above for H&R Block, it will go lower in time, but I’m a “give it to me now” type of shopper. I downloaded and installed it today.

Is it mostly/partially functional? I don't want to file, but I do want to plan and if nothing works, then I will wait.

Is it mostly/partially functional? I don't want to file, but I do want to plan and if nothing works, then I will wait.

As always, there are significant parts that do not yet work. Enough that you can’t probably get any true idea of your tax situation yet. I would suggest you hold off a bit unless you’re a bit compulsive like me.

Ah, we are probably not far away from having the discussion on who gets the free Turbo Tax from Fidelity.:cool:

It's always fun.
Last year we had two threads about the free turbotax from Fidelity, one of 58 posts and another of 181 posts.

The year before, just one thread of 116 posts.

For those not familiar with this, it works like this:

Some (difficult to determine exactly which) Fidelity customers with large accounts are offered a free download of TurboTax Premier. This happens at some random time anywhere between early November and mid-January every year.

The fun part is trying to figure out who gets the offer, and for those who do qualify, trying to figure out exactly where to look on the Fidelity website. There are additional hurdles involved, such as which widgets to click once you find the right place.

Between now and January, you will see many queries, complaints, rants, and triumphant exclamations here.

Last year I bought and tried Turbo Tax for the first time. I learned about the Fidelity offer (I was eligible) here and chalked it up to a learning experience.

Being a novice, I didn’t know how many updates would occur and there were a lot (maybe more than usual due to tax changes).

This year I’ll sit back and see how it shakes out by March.

I paid $21.95 HRB deluxe and state through Amazon on Black Friday last year. I'm sure it will be higher this year.
Same here, 2 years in a row, but I thought the deal was on Cyber Monday(Monday after Thanksgiving) on Amazon.

I get it free from T Rowe, but it is on line and not a download. I do not like all my info going through cyberspace.

I got H&R Block Deluxe with State:

Nov 29, 2019 for $19.99 + tax at NewEgg (free shipping).
Nov 26, 2020 for $22.49 + tax at NewEgg (free shipping).

I do recall, later finding out the $22.49 was not quite the cheapest but pretty close.

yep, best deals on or around BF so I'm willing to wait another three weeks.

I used Turbo Tax Premier last year, it was my first time. I planned my withdrawals to minimize taxes during December using Dinkytown.
It worked perfectly, except when I finalized my decisions, I clicked on the 21 version instead of 20, and because of that I had about $500 of extra income over my 12% bracket, otherwise, it worked great.
I'm already figuring out what income I will need for next year, then I will figure out the cheapest way to get that while maximizing my Roth Conversions.
I'm almost enjoying the process, almost.
Any reason I should buy need Turbo tax Early to do my planning vs just using Dinkytown? I'd rather wait and buy it on sale.

TurboTax Deluxe 2021 Tax Software, Federal and State Tax Return with Federal E-file [PC/MAC Download] for $39.95 plus tax at Walmart.com.

This is what I use. Done.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom