Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-15-2017, 11:08 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I use taxCut, and turn off the tax software "check for updates automatically" option.

I just manually activate the check for update when I'm going to start a new return, or some other time when convenient.
March is often a time when tax software gets fixed. By then enough early filers have done all the quality assurance and found many of the errors. State income tax calculations and forms are particularly buggy in the early weeks for filing season. Some vendors even have forms missing from their February releases.

I don't normally file until September but in any case, I recommend running the update routine before finalizing the return and transmitting just in case something got fixed between the time you started the return and the time you filed it.
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2017, 11:16 AM   #42
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
AGI/total tax
Nope. It's

Total tax/MAGI
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:19 AM   #43

I usually run the update when I'm nearly done. I save it first before I do the update. Just in case something is wrong. I can go back.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:14 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
I even use the fill-able PDF files available from the IRS, and updating those several times (and calculating by hand, or transferring from my shadow spreadsheet) is a pain.

I really have no desire to do my taxes by hand. Tax software is well worth it.
Yes, but I wish there was an in-between option. The tax SW has become too 'black box' for me at times. I recently wanted to verify something, I knew I should be all in the 15% bracket at this point, so I changed an input by $200, expecting a $30 change in tax. Nope!

Now, try to find out why. It was really, really hard. There is a worksheet that it used wasn't in any printouts, it was all calculated internally. That worksheet is just in the Fed's 1040 instructions, I had to download and do it manually to see if the issue was there.

Hmmm, some guy was offering a free spreadsheet that handled a lot of cases, I need to look for that. It's nice to just enter the stuff, I know how to do that, and see the calculation. At least in parallel with the SW.

ETA: Here it is - I have not used it yet, so proceed with caution... https://sites.google.com/site/excel1040/

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:48 PM   #45

move twice with home offices in different states. TT doesn't like half percentages so you need to sort of round up or down if you have three offices in different states.

That year my taxes were over 100 pages

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tax