Join Early Retirement Today

Tax Treatment on Real Estate Loss: Sale of Lot
Old 07-09-2020, 05:49 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Tax Treatment on Real Estate Loss: Sale of Lot

Hi,

DW and I purchased an unimproved lot back in the boom days of real estate. Our thinking was either to use it as in investment or possibly build a retirement home on it one day.

Neither of those panned out, and we sold it last month at a significant loss.

What are we allowed to recover, if any, of the loss when filing our 2020 taxes?

Thanks.
Trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2020, 06:45 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am not a CPA, but unless there was a business or rental involved, you cannot deduct the loss.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 06:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I am not a CPA, but unless there was a business or rental involved, you cannot deduct the loss.
I am not sure that is true. I inherited some property, sold it at a loss from the day of death value, and took a deduction as a capital loss. Maybe I was wrong, and it never got caught? Turbotax seemed to think it was OK.
Old 07-09-2020, 06:50 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I pretty sure personal RE property losses cannot be deducted.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 06:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
No business, no rental.
Old 07-09-2020, 06:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
I am not sure that is true. I inherited some property, sold it at a loss from the day of death value, and took a deduction as a capital loss. Maybe I was wrong, and it never got caught? Turbotax seemed to think it was OK.
We also inherited some property and were expecting a loss which our CPA told us would be a capital loss deduction. I don't know if this applies to OP's situation.
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:25 PM   #7

I certainly had to pay tax on a capital gain resulting from an unimproved lot.
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
Hi,

DW and I purchased an unimproved lot back in the boom days of real estate. Our thinking was either to use it as in investment or possibly build a retirement home on it one day.

Thanks.
You need to decide whether you bought it as an investment or for a retirement home, because the tax treatment for the two is different. If it was an investment on which you intended to make a profit, and just weren't able to, that is a capital loss for tax purposes. If you bought it to build a house and never got around to it and eventually changed your mind, that is a personal loss and has no effect on your taxes.

This might be helpful: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/in...perty/00/25623

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlBug View Post
We also inherited some property and were expecting a loss which our CPA told us would be a capital loss deduction. I don't know if this applies to OP's situation.
Inherited property is treated like investment property (i.e. you can claim the loss) unless you live in/on it. If you lived there, then it's personal property and you can't deduct the loss.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:03 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
Hi,

Thanks.
Sounds like investment to me and that while there was a possibility that it might be converted to personal use that in fact it never was converted to personal use.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:15 PM   #10

Thanks everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Sounds like investment to me and that while there was a possibility that it might be converted to personal use that in fact it never was converted to personal use.
That is really my situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
You need to decide whether you bought it as an investment or for a retirement home, because the tax treatment for the two is different. If it was an investment on which you intended to make a profit, and just weren't able to, that is a capital loss for tax purposes. If you bought it to build a house and never got around to it and eventually changed your mind, that is a personal loss and has no effect on your taxes.

This might be helpful: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/in...perty/00/25623
Thanks for the link. If the property is considered investment property, how is the capital loss treated? Can I fully net the capital loss against all of my capital gains (sales of mutual funds, mutual fund capital gain distributions), or am I limited to $3,000 capital loss per year?
Old 07-09-2020, 11:15 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I'm thinking the former.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:14 AM   #12

The $3000 limit applies after you deduct the loss from all your gains.
For example,
If your gains were $20,000 and your loss was $15,000 you can deduct all of it
However, if your gains were $15,000 and your loss was $20,000 you could only deduct $3000 that year. The remaining $2000 would be a capital loss carry forward you could deduct the following year.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 11:02 AM   #13

Thanks Souschef. My situation is the second one in your response. Using your numbers I would have a LTCG of $0 and a LTCL of $3,000 in 2020, and I would start off 2021 with a LTCL of $2,000 to be netted against 2021 LTCGs?

What is the treatment of the 2020 LTCL of $3,000? Does it reduce Qualified Dividends or Ordinary Income?
Old 07-10-2020, 02:56 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Inherited property is a different situation. You were entitled to the loss but you may have gotten away with something. Normally if sold within a reasonable time after date of death the sales price becomes the DOD value and there is therefore no gain or loss.
Gill
Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 05:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
Inherited property is a different situation. You were entitled to the loss but you may have gotten away with something. Normally if sold within a reasonable time after date of death the sales price becomes the DOD value and there is therefore no gain or loss.
Gill
Our CPA advised that any loss would be calculated on the purchase price and disposal costs. We assumed a loss would happen based on the horrendous condition of the property (located in a small midwestern town), but we were pleasantly surprised. We sold at auction w/in a couple of months of death and used the sale price as DOD value.
Old 07-10-2020, 05:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Gill
Many times a loss can be taken when you factor in the expenses of selling the property!
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 05:45 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE2Boys View Post
Many times a loss can be taken when you factor in the expenses of selling the property!
Yes, of course.
Gill
Old 07-10-2020, 05:47 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Our CPA advised that any loss would be calculated on the purchase price and disposal costs. We assumed a loss would happen based on the horrendous condition of the property (located in a small midwestern town), but we were pleasantly surprised. We sold at auction w/in a couple of months of death and used the sale price as DOD value.
Your CPA told you the basis of inherited property would be the purchase price? Was it inherited from an irrevocable trust?
Gill
Old 07-10-2020, 06:01 PM   #19

Quote:
Your CPA told you the basis of inherited property would be the purchase price? Was it inherited from an irrevocable trust?
Gill
That's my recollection, however, I could be wrong. No trust involved.
Old 07-10-2020, 06:08 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
That's my recollection, however, I could be wrong. No trust involved.
Not all CPA’s are conversant with estate matters. If it was inherited from a decedent the basis is date of death value, the best indication of which is sale price within a reasonable time after death.
Gill