Taxable Accounts and Taxes

Tizookie

Dryer sheet wannabe
Hello,

I wasn't able to find an answer to my question via search engines and forum searches so I apologize if this is frequently asked.

I was wondering, if the Affordable Health Care stay the way it is where family's with very low earnings get some pretty neat benefits for healthcare, does the example below make sense:

say you are 60 you have a nice $2M in between your 401K and Taxable Account.

If I choose to not withdraw from my 401K and instead takes out $50K from your taxable account for the year, and lets say $10K of that is from Long term capital gains. My income for the year would only be $10K right? Because I have already paid taxes on the original $40K investment?

This would maximize my benefit towards affordable health care?

As a note I am only 27 I am just making sure I understand how all of this works still :), Affordable Health Care might not be around when I am 60.

Thanks for any guidance!

If I choose to not withdraw from my 401K and instead takes out $50K from your taxable account for the year, and lets say $10K of that is from Long term capital gains. My income for the year would only be $10K right?

Yes, assuming your taxable account investments generate no dividends, capital gain payouts, etc. and you have no other income.

Just make sure you don't "earn" too little also. Then you would be ineligible for ACA and would have to enroll in Medicaid.

Yes, assuming your taxable account investments generate no dividends, capital gain payouts, etc. and you have no other income.

Just make sure you don't "earn" too little also. Then you would be ineligible for ACA and would have to enroll in Medicaid.

Thank you both for the reply, good information for me I appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom