Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

taxcaster and dinkytown say I'll pay 0% tax?
Old 05-31-2022, 10:49 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

taxcaster and dinkytown say I'll pay 0% tax?

Hi, I'm working on fine tuning my retirement calculations.

The part I'm stuck on is how much tax I'll be paying when I retire early. I entered my data into taxcaster and dinkytown. Intuit Taxcaster says I'll get a refund while dinkytown says I'll owe $0.

Here's what I entered:
* married filing jointly
* 2 kids
* income comes from 3 sources
*** interest: $1,000
*** qualified dividends: $30,000
*** stock sales: $140,000

For stock sale I have no idea how to estimate the cost basis and capital gains. I made a rough guess of 50% would be capital gains and entered that (so I entered $70,000). (I'd love any advice on how to estimate this better.)

This meant my taxable income was around $100,000.

Does a $0 federal tax rate seem reasonable?

Also, any advice on estimating state taxes?
leibowitzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2022, 10:58 PM   #2

Here's a screenshot from taxcaster:
https://imgur.com/hv8wzy6

I'm surprised it says 12% tax bracket for 0% tax rate.
Old 05-31-2022, 11:17 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No idea about taxes but I'd love to know how you make $1000 in interest in today's low interest on cash accounts. Just nosy so YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 11:39 PM   #4

Koolau, thanks for the reply. Here's what I'm estimating my assets will look like when I retire (in today dollars):
* 401k + Roth $963,737
* Brokearage $2,396,982
* Cash $175,742

I calculated the yearly interest income at a 0.6% rate. That's what Ally Bank offers.

My naive goal is to get $30k from dividends and make the remainder from selling stocks in the taxable brokearage account. VTSAX has a 1.21% dividend yield.

(By the way, I paid a financial planner to help me with early retirement planning. Turned out to be a complete waste :-(. The financial planner just used a simple online calculator and didn't even take into account that I'll be decades away from qualifying to take money out of the 401k.)
Old 06-01-2022, 12:08 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leibowitzn View Post

For 2022, the case study spreadsheet gets $0. For 2021 it gets a $6K refund (given assumed ages for your kids). TaxCaster may still be doing 2021 calculations.

The spreadsheet has some state tax estimation capability. Federal calculations are usually spot on - don't know how good the state calculations are.
SevenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 12:13 AM   #6

SevenUp, thanks for the link to the spreadsheet. It's also good to see that such a low tax bracket doesn't immediately raise alarm bells.
Old 06-01-2022, 12:40 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Wow, that's too bad about the so-called financial planner. Be sure to give him/her a bad review on Yelp, etc. We need folks in this business specialty that understand the real world of early retirement - not numbers crunchers. So sorry you had a bad experience.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 04:30 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Look at your annual brokerage statements to see what your interest and dividends are, as well as capital gains distributions. Also, what the overall cost basis is of each equity holding.

Schwab gives me the cost basis for each ETF, mutual fund, and individual stock. When I sell any equity, I can chose a particular lot to manipulate the capital gains up or down. That becomes very relevant if your health insurance is through the ACA.

The 0% income tops out at $83,350 for a married couple filing jointly. Add your standard deduction of $25,900 and you can have an capital gains and qualified dividend income of $109,250 before you pay FIT.

But you live in California, per your profile? You will be paying 8% on that income.

Having most of your retirement income in an after-tax account is quite handy. Don’t forget that if you are getting insurance through the ACA, there is a very nasty cliff that returns in 2023. One dollar over the cliff and you could pay nearly $20K more for health insurance.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 07:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post

The 0% income tops out at $83,350 for a married couple filing jointly. Add your standard deduction of $25,900 and you can have an capital gains and qualified dividend income of $109,250 before you pay FIT.

But you live in California, per your profile? You will be paying 8% on that income...
That 8% is the marginal rate on only the last few dollars of income. The California state income tax on income of $109,250 for a family of 4 where the parents are under age 65 and taking the standard deduction should be less than $3500, so more like 3.2%. If they can itemize for the state, which many taxpayers in this bracket can, then that rate goes down even further.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 09:21 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... Does a $0 federal tax rate seem reasonable?

Yes, negligible tax given most of your income is preferenced income (qualified dividends and LTCG) maks sense.

I prefer https://www.irscalculators.com/tax-calculator

It can also estimate state income taxes. See screenshot below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (325.1 KB, 42 views)

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 03:54 PM   #11

Thanks everyone for their super helpful comments.

The very specific advice here's really great.

Based on the above, I realized I should do a better job calculating my healthcare costs. I didn't know about any cliffs with regard to ACA. Are there any recommended readings on this subject?

(Oh also, we're planning to move from California to North Carolina when we retire)
Old 06-01-2022, 04:37 PM   #12

Quote:
I didn't know about any cliffs with regard to ACA. Are there any recommended readings on this subject?
Roth Conversion and Capital Gains On ACA Health Insurance is a good article.
Old 06-01-2022, 05:15 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Hi, I'm working on fine tuning my retirement calculations.

The part I'm stuck on is how much tax I'll be paying when I retire early. I entered my data into taxcaster and dinkytown. Intuit Taxcaster says I'll get a refund while dinkytown says I'll owe $0.

Here's what I entered:
* married filing jointly
* 2 kids
* income comes from 3 sources
*** interest: $1,000
*** qualified dividends: $30,000
*** stock sales: $140,000

For stock sale I have no idea how to estimate the cost basis and capital gains. I made a rough guess of 50% would be capital gains and entered that (so I entered $70,000). (I'd love any advice on how to estimate this better.)

This meant my taxable income was around $100,000.

looks like you are using last years software. Next year the child tax credit is $2000 per child, so if you have 2 children under 16 , $4000 not $6000.
rothlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 06:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothlev View Post
looks like you are using last years software. Next year the child tax credit is $2000 per child, so if you have 2 children under 16 , $4000 not $6000.
With no earned income, there will be no refundable child tax credit for 2022 (unless Congress once again changes the law...).
Old 06-01-2022, 07:07 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I think you might be able to relate to the blogger called Go Curry Cracker. He talks about how to pay 0 in income taxes while living off of investments and after tax accounts. It's quite simple math.
Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 04:04 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenUp View Post
With no earned income, there will be no refundable child tax credit for 2022 (unless Congress once again changes the law...).
If he has a tax liability that is wiped by the child tax credit , he will still get it.
rothlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 04:10 AM   #17

Quote:
Thanks everyone for their super helpful comments.

The very specific advice here's really great.

Based on the above, I realized I should do a better job calculating my healthcare costs. I didn't know about any cliffs with regard to ACA. Are there any recommended readings on this subject?

(Oh also, we're planning to move from California to North Carolina when we retire)
Small world.....my BIL made that very same move!

Mike
wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 05:46 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
That 8% is the marginal rate on only the last few dollars of income. The California state income tax on income of $109,250 for a family of 4 where the parents are under age 65 and taking the standard deduction should be less than $3500, so more like 3.2%. If they can itemize for the state, which many taxpayers in this bracket can, then that rate goes down even further.

It’s been 23 years since I was subject to California state income tax. You’re right. I had a moment of sheer dumbness.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 06:15 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
I think you might be able to relate to the blogger called Go Curry Cracker. He talks about how to pay 0 in income taxes while living off of investments and after tax accounts. It's quite simple math.
But keep in mind that $0 income tax might be suboptimal... especially if you are not fully utiizing deductions or even the 10% and 12% tax brackets if you expect to be in the 22% tax bracket later in life... but the opportunities may be limited if ACA is a constraint.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 09:38 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenUp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothlev View Post
If he has a tax liability that is wiped by the child tax credit , he will still get it.
Yes, that would be the non-refundable part of the child tax credit. Based on the OP there will be no tax liability, so no credit.

Tags
tax estimator, tax free