Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

TaxCut W-4 Worksheet - Oops
Old 04-01-2007, 12:01 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

TaxCut W-4 Worksheet - Oops

Disclaimer: I do my own taxes. I pay my $39, and point and click. That is the extent of my tax expertise. And as will become obvious once you read the following, I should probably reconsider my cheap ways.

Last year after doing my taxes, I ended up with my usual $3-5K refund. Yeah, yeah...I know, but I tried to do something about it so I wouldn't float a 0% loan to Uncle Sam again this year.

After completing my taxes last year with TaxCut, I decided to use their W-4 worksheet to adjust my and my wife's deductions. Supposedly, it takes all the numbers you just entered on your return, and spits out W-4 numbers that should get one within a few hundred clams +/- at the end of the following year.

So...I put off completing my taxes this year, not thinking I'd have a significant refund, and might even owe a bit. Surprise - I was greeted with a $13K+ refund. Huh?

Best I can tell, the TaxCut W-4 Worksheet isn't smart enough to realize some of us can contribute more than $15K each to pre-tax plans - we have 401k's, 401a's, and 457b's. Even though last year's return was adjusted for these higher amounts, the W-4 worksheet calculator appears to disregard these adjustments, and only allowed $15K/person when considering pre-tax income. So...it treated a very large portion of our pay as ordinary income that it shouldn't have, and crunched the W-4 numbers accordingly.

I've no idea if this year's W-4 calculator has modified its behavior, but heads up if the above situation applies to you...
Da Nag is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: TaxCut W-4 Worksheet - Oops
Old 04-01-2007, 12:27 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I use a simpler calculator. I look at my previous year's tax return. I take the tax on that and divide by 24. I pay that much tax each paycheck. I may owe more or less than that, but usually not much. I don't tell HR how many allowances or any of that; I tell them a number. It's pretty trivial and does not involve forms, worksheets, software or thinking.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 11:25 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I used the government worksheets... there's even an Excel spreadsheet you can stick your numbers into. Then whatever it tells me, I add 1.
Peaceful_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote