Taxes

Joseph101

Confused about dryer sheets
Hey everyone, If I am looking for help with planning my Tax strategy going into retirement and beyond, who do I look for. I know this may seem like a stupid question but I'm not sure who to go to. My tax lady, CPA, financial adviser, not sure who would be qualified to help me, is their such a thing as a Retirement Tax Planner, can you please point me in the right direction?

Welcome to ER. I think the problem is there is no "one size fits all" solution. So much depends on what your assets are, their characterization (IRA, Roth, taxable).
I retired late because I had to have medical coverage for my brain injured wife.

It also depends on what kind of medical you have and plan to have in retirement.
There are decisions you will have to make about pensions, what age to take Social Security, etc.
I had a surprise as a double whammy. When I had to take my Required Minimum Distribution (RMD) (now at 72), it pushed my Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) to a point where I had to pay tax on 85% of my Social Security (SS). It also triggered an IMRRA (Income Related Monthly Adjustment Amounts) surcharge on the SS payments.

There are a few ways to go. PB4USKI identified PFS which is probably one good way to go.

There are Certified Retirement Counselors (CRC) that are trained in accumulation as well as distribution strategies.

A Retirement Income Certified Professional (RICP) is a relatively new designation focused on strategies around developing retirement income streams, including tax aspects.

I would probably search for someone with one of those designations, or a CFP with a very solid tax background.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom