Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Taxes and unearned income
Old 08-25-2008, 08:57 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Taxes and unearned income

Talking with a freind of mine this weekend, I mentioned to him I might become a Florida resident because there is no state tax. He said he doesn't pay any tax in Wi. on a 43k SS and retirement income. He said this is unearned income. I am gonna run this buy my accountant, but whats the opionion about this?
lynxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2008, 09:09 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Don't know about WI specifically, but your friend may well be correct. Most states, but not all, exempt SS from taxation, and some do not tax pensions. A few (PA comes to mind) do not tax IRA withdrawals. So it varies on a state-by-state basis.
FIRE'd@51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:24 AM   #3

Florida has some personal property taxes that may get you if you become a Florida resident. If your goal is to be a resident of a tax friendly state, consider Texas. There is no income tax or personal property tax although the state has an oppressive property tax.

I'm planning on eliminating my home ownership in the state and become a "visitor" of other states. I'll have a mail box in Texas and possibly a very cheap "flop" for when we come back to Houston.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:39 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
If your goal is to be a resident of a tax friendly state, consider Texas. There is no income tax or personal property tax although the state has an oppressive property tax.

I'm planning on eliminating my home ownership in the state and become a "visitor" of other states. I'll have a mail box in Texas and possibly a very cheap "flop" for when we come back to Houston.
2B has it all figured out: Texas is a great place to retire - as long as you don't live there.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post
Don't know about WI specifically, but your friend may well be correct. Most states, but not all, exempt SS from taxation, and some do not tax pensions. A few (PA comes to mind) do not tax IRA withdrawals. So it varies on a state-by-state basis.
Found the link I was looking for before:

Taxes by State
FIRE'd@51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 12:19 PM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Florida has some personal property taxes that may get you if you become a Florida resident. If your goal is to be a resident of a tax friendly state, consider Texas. There is no income tax or personal property tax although the state has an oppressive property tax.

How do you get a physical address without living in Texas? PO Box type of address?
DallasFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 12:37 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFH View Post
How do you get a physical address without living in Texas? PO Box type of address?
This Texas based RV club specializes in it. www.escapees.com
Old 08-25-2008, 01:20 PM   #8

Yup, Florida has no income tax but they make up for it with property taxes.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:00 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Maybe this will help clarify:

http://www.revenue.wi.gov/taxpro/news/080402.html

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:02 PM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Florida has some personal property taxes that may get you if you become a Florida resident.
Florida abolished the intangible asset tax - now only property tax and sales tax.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:29 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

It's my understanding you have to be able to verify that you lived in the state for 6 months to claim residency.
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn54 View Post
It's my understanding you have to be able to verify that you lived in the state for 6 months to claim residency.
Personally, I've lived here for over 20 years. If a newcomer shows up and rents an apartment, they have to have a Texas drivers license within 30 days unless they can prove residency somewhere else. Get the Texas drivers license and you're a resident. Once you've done that, the other state has to prove you are really a resident there. It's a big difference and makes you pretty safe unless you are highly visible.

If I become a "wanderer," I can get my mail sent to either a child or a "mail drop." Some mail drops have street addresses. An earlier post has a link for some of the many RV-ers that "live" in Texas while going all around the world.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:45 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn54 View Post
Which state? Florida? Not true for TX

Audrey
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:49 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I would hardly call the property taxes in TX "oppressive" since home prices in the Houston area are dirt cheap and don't keep up with inflation.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:36 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
I would hardly call the property taxes in TX "oppressive" since home prices in the Houston area are dirt cheap and don't keep up with inflation.
I'll be paying over $7,000 for a $240K house. If I moved to Missouri, I wouldn't pay anywhere near that even if I paid state income tax and property tax on a similar property. Since I plan to not pay state income tax soon, it will be even cheaper.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:59 AM   #16
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
2B has it all figured out: Texas is a great place to retire - as long as you don't live there.
Ditto, we'll be moving back in 19 months, using it as a base.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:40 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Since we were already TX residents, we decided to remain so after we retired. It seemed best tax-wise to us anyway. In all my figuring, state income tax on our investment income would dwarf any property taxes we were paying which was around $4K.

Now, of course, living on wheels, we pay no property taxes. Just like 2Bs idea.

We do spend at least 3 months of the year in TX. We prefer the winters there, and we have family there.

Audrey
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote