Join Early Retirement Today

Taxes, Fees and surcharges...they add up
Old 04-26-2017, 10:40 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Taxes, Fees and surcharges...they add up

Ever wonder if you pay too many fee’s? With all the taxes, fees, Interest and Surcharges it’s no wonder people work until they die! Here’s a few I’ve come up with and try to vigorously avoid!

State Sales Tax – State Trooper needs bullets for their guns
Local Sales Tax – Sheriffs need gas for the cruiser
Federal Income Tax – Feds get theirs before anyone!
State Income Tax – If you are lucky, you don’t have to pay this one
Self-Employment Tax – For those of us so fortunate to be livin the American dream
Federal Excise Tax – This little gem is hidden on many transactions…including airline tickets
Property Tax – Do we ever really own anything?
Wheelage Tax – Paid when I renew my vehicle registration

Then there is a splattering of fee’s that pop-up almost everywhere…
Commission Fee – Charged when selling equities
Transaction Fee – Charged when using a credit card
Processing Fee -
Filing Fee – Never really did get the difference between a processing fee and a filing fee, sometimes you see both
Origination Fee – Equity hounds need to get their cut.
Overdraft fee – Bankers need their cut
Convenience Fee – Why not charge someone for being lazy?
Annual Credit Card Membership Fees – We need to pay before we ever use the card nowadays

Auto Theft Prevention Surcharge - This one is interesting, my insurance charges me $1/year because my vehicle has auto theft prevention mechanism. I wonder what the charge would be without?

And then their’ s the airlines:
U.S. Federal Segment Fee charged by some airlines
U.S. Passenger Civil Aviation Security Fee aka 911 fee
Passenger Facility Charge (PFC) at some airports in the US

Then I have the cell phone bill:
Federal Universal Service Fund
Transit Improvement Tax

For sewer/water/trash you can’t avoid it either:
Fuel/Environmental Recovery Fee
County Environmental Charge
Solid Waste Management Tax – No such thing as a free crap, getting taxed to flush Mr. Hankey

And of course, the best for last… INFLATION! And you thought your dollar was worth as much as it was yesterday…yeah right!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2017, 10:59 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Don't forget:
Bridge toll
Gasoline
Alcohol
Hotels
jkern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:00 AM   #3
Administrator

Still no fee for E-R Forum membership!
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:01 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I was getting frustrated with my cell phone fees. Then they came out with a no-fee rate which amazingly turned out to be cheaper, and we jumped on it!

Otherwise you had:

Federal Universal Service Fund
State Universal Service Fund
TX Recovery Fee
Regulatory Programs & Telco Recovery Fee

plus
State & Local Sales Tax
State 911
State Surcharge
Old 04-26-2017, 11:02 AM   #5

One I came across recently that really left me shaking my head... a $1 "mail fee" for my local county's car tag registration renewal. They charge the $1 mail fee regardless of whether you actually mail in your renewal or do it online! Gotta love government bureaucracy
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:05 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
One I came across recently that really left me shaking my head... a $1 "mail fee" for my local county's car tag registration renewal. They charge the $1 mail fee regardless of whether you actually mail in your renewal or do it online! Gotta love government bureaucracy
Well - in TX they used to charge an extra $2 for doing it online, but now they dropped that!
Old 04-26-2017, 11:20 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

OK, I have a story about sales tax.

In 1955, age 7, I saved my pennies until I had enough to buy a pretty handkerchief with hearts on it for my mother, for Valentine's Day. I think it cost about thirty cents so that was a lot for a kid back then. When I proudly took my money to the counter on the day before Valentine's Day, it wasn't enough, due to tax.

The kindly old man at the cash register told me about tax, and then paid the tax for me while cautioning me that I should always bring a little extra for tax.

So, I guess I have been aware of taxes for 62 years. It's something that I take for granted and doesn't really shock me at this point.

BTW, my mother saved that handkerchief all of her life. It meant the world to her. I didn't know that until after her death nearly age 98, when my brother found it among her few possessions and gave it to me. I'm so glad that the cashier taught me about taxes, and let me buy the handkerchief anyway.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:51 PM   #8

Great story, W2R!
Trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I learned about sales tax at about age 6 or so. A couple of us used to walk along some nearby railroad tracks and pick up Coke bottles for the then two cents deposit. I guess the bottles came from the guys that maintained the tracks, but if we went every other week or so it was usually worth the mile-long walk.

Back then the MD sales tax started at 25¢ and a candy bar cost 5¢. So I learned that if I was going to spend a quarter on candy bars to split the transaction to stay under 25¢.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:12 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Don't forget all the junk taxes and fees on hotel rooms and rental cars. It's a way to get money from the people who can't vote you out of office.

In North Myrtle Beach, where my parents used to live, one tax (can't remember if it was on hotel rooms or part of sales tax) went for advertising and PR to bring in more tourists. Wonder how many jobs that created for politicians' friends and family.

My pet peeve: sales taxes on top of other taxes (imbedded in the price of the product), which happens in my state with cigarettes and alcohol.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 02:38 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
BTW, my mother saved that handkerchief all of her life. It meant the world to her. I didn't know that until after her death nearly age 98, when my brother found it among her few possessions and gave it to me. I'm so glad that the cashier taught me about taxes, and let me buy the handkerchief anyway.
Great story on a normally ugly subject. Thanks for sharing!

Today the cashier might say: "Hey little dude, it says here $5.37, I'm not sure why, but your $5.00 won't do."

To OP: thanks for adding water and sewer. My city is jacking these yearly in the interest of keeping the political tax rate stable. And you can't deduct them like property tax! Darn.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:10 PM   #12

Airport rental car fees have gone crazy. A typical midsize weekly rate of $175 often balloons to over $300 with all the fees and taxes.
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:16 PM   #13

This one was new on our DirecTV bill a couple years ago - Regional Sports Fee. At first it was $2.14, then $3.63, now $5.83. We don't subscribe to any sports packages or special channels, this is just for regular sports on TV, I guess.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:24 PM   #14

awesome love ur story

Quote:

In 1955, age 7, I saved my pennies until I had enough to buy a pretty handkerchief with hearts on it for my mother, for Valentine's Day. I think it cost about thirty cents so that was a lot for a kid back then. When I proudly took my money to the counter on the day before Valentine's Day, it wasn't enough, due to tax.

The kindly old man at the cash register told me about tax, and then paid the tax for me while cautioning me that I should always bring a little extra for tax.

So, I guess I have been aware of taxes for 62 years. It's something that I take for granted and doesn't really shock me at this point.

my sister bought my Dad a tie clip for fathers day she was about the same age maybe 9?,he had beautiful tie tacks, tie clips, diamonds, gold etc, he wore that tie clip exclusively, we buried him in it it was his most cherished,
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 04:02 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

A few years ago, our main cable TV provider, Optimum, began a "sports programming surcharge" to cover the costs of providing some costly sports channels on its basic cable package. I find it pretty outrageous that Optimum forces its subscribers to pay a premium for some channels which aren't actually Premium channels, like the movie channels. I would love to opt out of having these sport channels as part of my cable TV package and save the surcharge, the same way I am not required to buy premium movie channels such as HBO. But the only way I could opt out of the sports channels would be to drop my cable TV to a very small set of channels, losing nearly all of the other basic channels.

This surcharge began at $4 per month but is now up to $5. It's a lot to pay for a few specific channels I never watch.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
working for less than half- ill stay home
Old 04-26-2017, 04:49 PM   #16

working for less than half- ill stay home

i call my tax guy, he told me the following. for every dollar i earn in pay i will fork over 10.5 cents for nyc and nys tax,- not deductible as i hit the alt minimum tax thing, social security 7.65 cents, federal 33 cents, so thats 51 % plus. yeah ill stay home, i left out disability insurance they slap you with as its only a few pennies per week, yeah lots of fees, my investments had the pleasure of paying some health care 3.8 % fee too, he didnt tell me that this time, i remember from when i did my taxes he was laughing at me that i had to pay it, hahahah my investments pay a health care fee , you cant make this up
here are a few more sweetners
Old 04-27-2017, 11:21 AM   #17

here are a few more sweetners

in 1989 new york state added a mansion tax 1 % to the selling price of a home over 1 million thats in addition to the nyc 1.425 % tax and the state tax of 2 dollars for every 500, so a million dollar home costs 28250 in fees to the state and city, not indexed since they started this in 1989, nice right? yeah im going to florida
Old 04-27-2017, 11:37 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Still no fee for E-R Forum membership!
Amen for that! Lots of fees I forgot lol.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:41 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbo111 View Post
Airport rental car fees have gone crazy. A typical midsize weekly rate of $175 often balloons to over $300 with all the fees and taxes.
I never really did quite get why the taxes are so high for car rentals.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:55 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
I never really did quite get why the taxes are so high for car rentals.
Because they can. The tax is paid by non-constituents - out of town travelers.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote