taxes, what would you do?

frank

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I filed my grandaughters taxes with turbo tax freedom edition and it rejected the return saying the social security numbers and birthdate the irs has on file doesn't match the ones on the tax forms. they matched for the last five years that I did her taxes. then they send a notice that they had recalculated the form and there would be a letter coming explaining the changes, but she has never gotten it, it decreased her refund by a significant amount and that if she had questions call the 800 no and reference topic 9022, which is a calculation error. After trying to straighten it out on the 800 no and having no success. The irs rep told her she should check with social security and make sure she had the right numbers. I do not know If I should keep trying with the customer service, file an appeal of some kind, any other suggestions some of you might have.

I have nothing to offer but sympathy. When these big systems work, they are great. But when you wind up as the exception its a nightmare.

Best of luck.

Are her name and SS the same as on her SS card? I assume so.

I think there is an IRS Ombudsman that you can contact to help.

if you get into April without a solution, print and mail a paper copy, that way at least it is timely filed and any quirks can be worked out subsequently

I had a situation years ago where I keep going in circles with the IRS 800 number rep regarding penalty for an excess ROTH contribution. I ended up contacting a tax advocate and she was able to resolve it for me.

They rejected her return for tax year 2023 and they also sent her a letter about a calculation error in tax year 2023?

If both those things are true, then it sounds like she's a victim of identity theft. Someone else filed a return using her SSN, so the IRS is rejecting subsequent e-filed returns as well as trying to correct the return that they did receive.

She should read everything on these pages and follow the directions:
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/taxpayer-guide-to-identity-theft
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/when-to-file-an-identity-theft-affidavit

There is nothing more you can do for her unless you have her PoA or you are an enrolled agent. You cannot talk to the IRS on her behalf.

If I have misunderstood your first post, please clarify which tax years the notices are for and whether or not you successfully e-filed a return for 2023.

They rejected her return for tax year 2023 and they also sent her a letter about a calculation error in tax year 2023?

If both those things are true, then it sounds like she's a victim of identity theft. Someone else filed a return using her SSN, so the IRS is rejecting subsequent e-filed returns as well as trying to correct the return that they did receive.

She should read everything on these pages and follow the directions:
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/taxpayer-guide-to-identity-theft
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/when-to-file-an-identity-theft-affidavit

There is nothing more you can do for her unless you have her PoA or you are an enrolled agent. You cannot talk to the IRS on her behalf.

If I have misunderstood your first post, please clarify which tax years the notices are for and whether or not you successfully e-filed a return for 2023.
successfully efiled in 2023. it was recalculated by the irs and then she was sent what they thought her refund ought to be. The problem is that when she tries to contact the irs 800 number they are of no help whatsoever. on the where is my refund site it says she will recieve a letter explaining what happened, but that hasn't happened yet. I texted her last night and told her to try to get ahold of the taxpayer advocate service. I do not know if they will help, but it is supposed to be what they do. I also would like to know how to contact the irs ombudsman. I have never heard of that before.

If you successfully filed, what does this sentence from the original post mean? "I filed my grandaughters taxes with turbo tax freedom edition and it rejected the return saying the social security numbers and birthdate the irs has on file doesn't match the ones on the tax forms."

As cathy63 point out above, this situation sounds like fraud occurred.

You daughter can go thru the steps to create an online account with the IRS. Once you have one, you can generate Account and Return Transcripts. These are documents that spell out all the calculations used in your tax returns. They can be confusing to understand, but if you take your time and compare them to your submitted return, they can help point out differences.

Sorry, this is still confusing. Are there two different tax returns with problems or just one?

The way I'm reading this now:

Return #1 -- 2022 tax year, e-filed successfully in early 2023, IRS sent a letter adjusting the refund, granddaughter is waiting for more detail

Return #2 -- 2023 tax year, e-file was rejected in early 2024, has not been filed

Is this accurate? If not, could you tell us which tax year(s) we're talking about and the approximate dates on which everything occurred -- when it was rejected, when you filed, when the IRS letter arrived, etc?

If it's been less than 6 weeks since she got the adjustment notice from the IRS, then it is too soon to follow up with phone calls and visits. They will send her a letter with more detail in a few weeks. If it was the 2022 return that was adjusted, she can pull a transcript for that return. If it's the 2023 return that was adjusted she'll have to wait until after April 15 to get a transcript. Here's the page for transcripts: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

The IRS is having an in person help day on Saturday, April 13. Your granddaughter can go and talk to someone then. She should arrive early and plan to spend most of the day waiting. Here are the locations: https://www.irs.gov/help/irs-face-to-face-saturday-help

The Taxpayer Advocate Service replaced the Ombudsman many years ago. I don't believe there's a person with the Ombudsman title any more.

I would thoroughly document the situation and its history and forward the documentation to my congresscritter with the expectation that he/she will forward the package to the IRS, then relax and wait.

#2 it was rejected in 2023 when I filed with turbo-tax saying the information on the filing (social security nos. and birth dates) didn't match what the irs has on record. After being rejected by the irs, I went back through the return and checked all the ssn's and birth datesl, and all information deemed it to be accurate( one w-2 and one receipt for child care). then tried to refile again and it said I could file with an exception and that is what I did. The Irs refigured her return saying some of the information was wrong, they sent her what they figured was the correct amount and she recieved that amount on Feb, 28 2024. The irs also had a note on the "where/s my refund " site saying there would be a letter coming explaining the changes, but the letter has never come. It could be that I am getting in to big of a hurry and should just wait for a while longer. thanks for the help and consideration.

Yes, if she only received the refund on Feb 28 she needs to wait at least 6 weeks for the explanation.

I still think it sounds like identity theft though and it would be a very good idea for her to create an account at IRS.Gov and also to request an Identity Protection PIN that will change every year and will be required for all future tax returns.

Back
Top Bottom