Join Early Retirement Today

Telephone IRS Scams....
Old 01-13-2018, 07:19 AM   #1
gone traveling

Telephone IRS Scams....

So, 'tis the season I guess. I have started getting the calls from "IRS Agents" telling me about

"impending lawsuits against my name. Kindly call before we have to file at your county courthouse..."

Once again, I played my favorite game. I called the number, and the surprisingly similar Indian accented man answered, this time stating an official sounding IRS Agent Joe Blow as his name. Before he could really get started, I stated:

"Hello, this is Agent Jim XXXXXX with the Federal Bureau of Investigations' Washington DC office. My badge number is 123456. Please tell me your name, IRS federal employee number, and reason for calling...."

I don't know if the guy remembers me from last year or not, but I promptly got a "Fu&* You" and hang up. Last year I got to play G-Man a lot longer!
Pilot2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2018, 08:31 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I love it! Can't say I'll try it myself, but I commend you.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:59 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

They busted a fake IRS group a while ago. Guess a new one sprang up.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:07 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send me your money. Please do the needful.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:17 AM   #5

But he seemed like such a nice young man, trying to help me.
Pity he was so hard to understand.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:00 PM   #6

The problem with calling them back (or in the case of cold calls, staying on the line) to try to waste their time is that these are not nice people.

If you answer, if you stay on the line, and especially if you call back, your number goes on the "good number" list. In other words, now they know there's a human answering your phone. That makes your number more valuable to other scammers. And they will share (sell) it!

But if you p*ss them off, they can make sure your number is on EVERY list.

I've thought about getting a burner phone or finding out how to spoof the calling number, so I can fight back a little. But frankly, those scumbags are not worth my time.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:30 PM   #7
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
The problem with calling them back (or in the case of cold calls, staying on the line) to try to waste their time is that these are not nice people.

If you answer, if you stay on the line, and especially if you call back, your number goes on the "good number" list. In other words, now they know there's a human answering your phone. That makes your number more valuable to other scammers. And they will share (sell) it!

But if you p*ss them off, they can make sure your number is on EVERY list.

I've thought about getting a burner phone or finding out how to spoof the calling number, so I can fight back a little. But frankly, those scumbags are not worth my time.
Ummm, it was worth it to hear the anger in his "Fu$% You". I did the same last year and didn't have any increased scam calls, but if I do, a changed number isn't too hard to do.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot2013 View Post
Ummm, it was worth it to hear the anger in his "Fu$% You".
And you warmed my heart a little, just in telling the story. Thanks!

These people are reprehensible. But on the other hand, they exist because there's a market. Suckers, the elderly and people greedy enough to want to believe a Nigerian prince is going to let them in on his illegal scheme.

I really have no idea what to do about that larger problem.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:24 AM   #9
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
And you warmed my heart a little, just in telling the story. Thanks!
The guy caught on too quick this year. It may have really been the same guy, or they spread the word about people doing that, I don't know. Last year was really fun as I went on playing G-Man for a good 3-4 minutes before he got his wits about him and went in to his profanity laced tirade. I was laughing so hard that (which I am sure added insult to injury) that I never heard him finally hang up.

Sometimes I crack myself up.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:21 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

THis is why I strongly feel that people who commit the crime of identity theft or financial scams should die slow painful, horrible deaths from terminal cancer. These scumbags are not even human and do not deserve to live.

And No. That is NOT too harsh. In fact it is not harsh enough. If you have ever had to endure the issues that surround financial scams/identity theft....it just totally ruins your life for a long period of time for absolutely no reason.
MrLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 06:28 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Got my first IRS scam call today! It was a text to speech sort of thing and I was advised that if I didn't comply "the local cops would come and detain you".
Not the 'police' or the 'authorities'...the 'cops'! Very formal and convincing, no?

So, I'm sitting here, waiting for the cops to come get me. Meanwhile, I put the phone number on blacklist and they've called back 4 times in the past 5 hours.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:34 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Got my first IRS scam call today! It was a text to speech sort of thing and I was advised that if I didn't comply "the local cops would come and detain you".
Not the 'police' or the 'authorities'...the 'cops'! Very formal and convincing, no?

So, I'm sitting here, waiting for the cops to come get me. Meanwhile, I put the phone number on blacklist and they've called back 4 times in the past 5 hours.
Wow

So a robo call? No human at the other end?

Too bad. I would have been ready to tell them - "OK, let me get your information down and I'll go talk to my buddy the sheriff next door and see what we can figure out...."
Old 03-11-2018, 01:19 AM   #13

Microsoft called me this past week, so both scams are going strong. I didn’t have the patience to egg them on so I just told him I knew it was a scam and click.
akck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:07 AM   #14

I got a call from the "IRS" last fall. The first call I played along for a minute or two, then said I would make the payment in person at the IRS office a mile away (I had been in that office many times before RE). He insisted that wouldn't stop the FBI from arresting me.

The next day, I got another call from them, and before he could get into his spiel, I asked him if he wore boxers or briefs. He was a bit confused, and I refused to listen to anything he said until I got an answer. When he finally responded (albeit reluctantly) "boxers", I immediately asked what color they were. At this point, the background noise was quiet and he finally said "you are crazy" and hung up!

It was a 5 minute call, but I consider it 5 minutes of entertainment!
Taxman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:16 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Love the responses. Will be ready if necessary.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:52 AM   #16

We have had the ringer off on our phone for almost five years now.
jebmke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 11:27 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

"You'll never take me alive, coppers!"
Nightcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 11:59 AM   #18

Next time I get one of these calls, I'll tell them I am an IRS agent
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:31 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

It appears that they have escalated their attack due to my lack of response

The latest notice is the IRS has issued a warrant for my arrest and the local police will be coming soon to haul me off to jail.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:32 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
It appears that they have escalated their attack due to my lack of response

The latest notice is the IRS has issued a warrant for my arrest and the local police will be coming soon to haul me off to jail.
Oh no!

On the last call before they came to arrest my dad, they ended it with "Good Luck." Nice touch.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote