Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Ten Things to Stop Doing in 2006
Old 01-04-2006, 02:54 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhodaThunkit
Brewer -- I don't like President Bush either, maybe less than you do.* But there's a lot more to the USA than one president.
Yeah, there's all my fellow Merkins who were too dumb to keep the clown out of office and apparently couldn't care less that the executive branch is on a drunken power grab, trampling the bill of rights in the process. We deserve what we are getting: a dictatorship.

George Bush is Hitler. Now can we stop this off-topic political discussion?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2006, 02:59 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhodaThunkit
Good grief!!!* But one question -- why did you feel compelled to post, if you would like for this discussion to stop?
I was trying to invoke Whozit's law. You know, the unwritten internett law that says any political discuaaion stops as soon as someone mentions Hitler?

- George Orwell

Old 01-04-2006, 03:02 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Actually I think its when you call someone a nazi.

But what the hell do I know?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 03:02 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()

I did call someone a Nazi. So either way we are covered...

- George Orwell

Old 01-04-2006, 06:29 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew894
The guy in Sudan doesn't spend 1/2 his day working for his government.
Uhm, I didn't either. In fact I haven't for nearly four years.

But thank you for your contribution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()
Eh, it's Godwin's Law, and you're both right...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 07:08 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The US was in the bottom 80%, behind many nations that Americans typically think of as oppressed.* We may have freedom to say what we like, freedom to worship, but in the realm of finances, we have very limited freedoms... we are in fact scraping the bottom of the barrel.
Yup, life is so hard - as evidenced by the growing number of books, magaznie articles, and message boards dedicated to retiring early.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:34 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Nords, I think you probably did as does everyone else who is an employee, except in limited circumstances.
I did do that for a couple decades, but I plan to live a much longer ER than that...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 07:54 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, for the priviledged few... but what about our kids?* What about our families?* Perhaps I could take the attitude that so many others seem to have... get mine, sit on the lid and poison the rest.* Screw 'em.* I got mine.
I don't believe that at all. "Our children" are growing up in a time of unprecedented wealth and economic stability. It used to be that the "American Dream" consisted of a "chicken in every pot." But now life isn't complete without two cars, a big screen TV, several computers, a 2,000+ sqf home with central air, international travel, etc. etc. (all of which is affordable today by the "middle class" but once was reserved for the rich if it was available at all). Anyone in the middle class can retire early if they choose to do without some of this stuff. I doubt the same could be realistically said for many other "middle class" generations in history - either in the US or anywhere else in the world for that matter.

It's amazing how few people recognize their great fortune for being born in a developed country at this very moment in history. Sure things could always be better, but they can, and have been, a whole lot worse too. It's important to keep that in perspective.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:14 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I can't remember the name of the survey that was reported in the Wall Street Journal a while back, but it rated the fiscal burden of governments of all nations around the world (I have a copy of it in a notebook I keep at work... if you are interested let me know and I'll post it).* The US was in the bottom 80%, behind many nations that Americans typically think of as oppressed.* We may have freedom to say what we like, freedom to worship, but in the realm of finances, we have very limited freedoms... we are in fact scraping the bottom of the barrel.
Dave, your message is not going over well at all. Reminds me of what happened to former sweetie-pie MJ when he admitted that for $60, 000 he just might interpret an oral agreement in his favor.

Well, I am with you.(And with MJ)* I don’t care if I have to worship Dilbert, as long as the government would please keep its fingers out of my pockets.

Oh, and BTW, will you post that study*you mentioned?

Ha
Old 01-05-2006, 07:38 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Select "additional options", then browse/attach.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 07:58 AM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Regarding US versus international tax rates:

The studies along these lines that I have seen convieniently ommit the additional US tax burden of state, property, social security, and medicare taxes. When those are included US tax rates don't seem so low anymore.

Keep in mind who is publishing the study and what their political agenda is.

Still, Since US medical care is paid for outside of the government (for many people) then US tax rates would tend to be much lower than other industrialized countries.

MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 08:32 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster
Still, Since US medical care is paid for outside of the government (for many people) then US tax rates would tend to be much lower than other industrialized countries.
I thought that the government paid for Medicare/Medicaid. How are those healthcare programs paid for outside of the government?
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 09:31 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Yes, for the priviledged few... but what about our kids?* What about our families?* Perhaps I could take the attitude that so many others seem to have... get mine, sit on the lid and poison the rest.* Screw 'em.* I got mine.
Dave,

You seem to be painting with a pretty broad brush.
I am not sure what you are trying to say in your post other than to vent about someone else having more than you or you not getting your way. Not intending to start a flame war here, just sharing my thoughts to your overly broad comments. Perhaps if you had a more specific area you would like to discuss it might make it easier for some of us to carry on a meaningful dialogue on the topic. As it is, I am not clear on what specifically you are trying to share with the board.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:59 AM   #34
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Percentages taken/stolen/given/paid to the g'vmnt are meaningless. What is important is how long you have to work to get the goods and services you need, the quality of life and the type of society you enjoy, and how much you can save at the end of the day. I've lived in several countries, and when it comes to purchasing power in the hand of the average Joe at the end of the month the USA comes out well ahead.
jefipius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 10:11 AM   #35

Quote:
Well this sounds like the sour grapes from someone who doesn't want to make the hard choices to save and prosper. The biggest problem with people who think like that is there are lots of em' and they can vote.

From their perspective, you need to pay your 'fair share'
Old 01-05-2006, 10:21 AM   #36

Quote:
I know many middle class people who could never retire early.
Well if they have to live the 'Holiday Inn' lifestyle you may be right. If they have to have a couple of new cars every year, the expensive home electronics, vacations,blah blah blah then they'll never make it.

If they step back and live well under their means then just like other FIRE's they'll do just fine.

So basically I don't agree with your premise. It's a choice they make.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:30 AM   #37
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Average home cost in S. Florida is $350k (townhouse). Avg. property tax bill for said home is $7k. Average insurance bill is about $3k. Average middle class salary is $44k before taxes. You do the math.
So...you're saying your kids (who this is all about) are just average? I thought this was Lake Woebegone!
Old 01-05-2006, 11:38 AM   #38

Quote:
Average home cost in S. Florida is $350k (townhouse). Avg. property tax bill for said home is $7k. Average insurance bill is about $3k. Average middle class salary is $44k before taxes. You do the math.
Why live in Florida then? What's wrong with the other 49 states? If it is no longer economical to live in your area, relocate to a place where you can get by on a lot less. I know the stats you gave would be much better in other parts of FL, Atlanta, Raleigh, Charlotte, etc.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 11:44 AM   #39

Or choose much cheaper housing. Whos is to say that you need an average house.

Nobody said that ER wouldn't require some sacrifices.

If you have to have that great house and those new cars and all that other stuff - blah blah blah, then get ready to work till you're old. You can't have it both ways.

Get those expenses down and start saving and stop whining.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:26 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
Why live in Florida then?* What's wrong with the other 49 states?* If it is no longer economical to live in your area, relocate to a place where you can get by on a lot less.* I know the stats you gave would be much better in other parts of FL, Atlanta, Raleigh, Charlotte, etc.
You apparently don't get it. This board is full of people who will move away from their families and friends, move away from parents, leave nice climates in attractive cities, eat 49 cents pound frozen chicken wings, so they can "retire early" and go pick up pennies in some woebegone rural redoubt. For most people, this is not normal behavior, borne of normal attitudes.

I think Dave has an excellent point, and since there are many bombastic one-sided and mostly wrong points expounded here every day, why does Dave's message bother you so much?

The USA may be pretty good; that does not mean that criticism may not be valid or helpful. Reminds me of the stupid saying from the Viet-Nam era- “America, Love It or Leave It.”

Ha