Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Tentative Bail-Out Plan Reached
Old 09-28-2008, 07:42 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Tentative Bail-Out Plan Reached

A tetative Bail-Out Plan has been reached. Are you satisfied with it?

Lawmakers Reach Tentative Bailout Deal - WSJ.com

--Henry David Thoreau
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2008, 07:50 AM   #2

Let's hope that it holds together better than the 1 o'clock version last Thursday that fell apart by 4 o'clock!!
VaCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:08 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Under the plan, the federal government would purchase mortgage-backed securities and other bad debts held by banks and other investors.
Gee! What kind of deal is this? It's hoped that they will only buy at a steep discount.

Quote:
"The legislation would place "reasonable" limits on severance packages for executives of companies that benefit from the rescue plan, said a senior administration official who was authorized to speak only on background."
Great -- that means there will be no limits. This is a really great country in which you can run a company into the ground and still can receive millions of dollars.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:14 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sounds a lot like the deal they had on Thursday . . .
Gone4Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:36 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

To me it seems that the only way to fix this mess is to buy up the mortgages so that lenders, who were under the gun from the federal government to lend to those with less than great credit, won't fail. That is the government's responsibility given the way things played out.

Quote:
the legislation will include provisions giving Treasury the ability to work with cash-strapped homeowners whose mortgages are purchased by the federal government to refinance into a more affordable mortgage.
This is the part I question. Are people who really couldn't afford these houses to begin with, but were lent this money anyway, going to be let off the hook and not have to pay full price like the rest of us? Will they end up with a more valuable house than mine and credit scores as good as mine? I do not want to pay for the home of someone who irresponsibly borrowed more than he could afford, simply because it was offered to him.

I guess my opinion depends on what is meant by the verbiage I quoted above. If it means refinancing the full balance owed at the present mortgage rates, then the government would not have to do anything but guarantee the new mortgage. That is fine with me. However, I wonder if it means forgiving part of the mortgage and allowing the "homeowner" to keep his McMansion for the same price as I paid for my simple, median home. I would oppose that.

I don't know much about mortgages but I am thinking that arranging a 50-year fixed rate mortgage instead of a 30-year mortage would help, or forgiving half the mortgage amount on the condition that half or more than half of the proceeds when selling the home would go back to the government. This type of maneuver would be OK with me, I suppose.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:56 AM   #6

The Devil is going to be in the details. I assume it will not actually be approved today since the Govt Printing Office will be working all night printing it up. Anyone want to bet on the final printed length? Bet it will be hundreds of pages long, extremely difficult to read, and something that will be argued for years to come especially if it does not work.

Do we have to pay these folks overtime pay since they worked the weekend or do they just take an extra week or so off next "recess"!
Old 09-28-2008, 09:04 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

The summary also said the legislation would institute new executive compensation requirements for participating companies, including "no multi-million dollar golden parachutes," limits on compensation generally, and the ability to recover "bonuses paid based on promised gains that later turn out to be false or inaccurate."
=======
I wouldn't hold my breath that this will get the top guys. They usually have contracts that outline their severance package. A contract could only be changed if a company declares bankruptcy or with the agreement of the signatories.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:12 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
I wouldn't hold my breath that this will get the top guys. They usually have contracts that outline their severance package. A contract could only be changed if a company declares bankruptcy or with the agreement of the signatories.
Federal marshalls holding custom-made shackles might induce them to renegotiate in good faith...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 09:21 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I suspect that we will see a wave of CEO resignations just before their firms accept help from the gummint. That way they "take the blame" by getting tossed out the window, keep their severance $$$, and comply with the terms of the deal. Anyone new who assumes control will have to live with the restrictions, but the guys at the helm when the wheels came off the bus will probably walk away with their contractual due. Get over it; its a sideshow.

Any CEO of a financial firm who is still in place when all ths is over deserves whatever they are paid, IMO, so long as their firm came through this not needing the bailout.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 09:37 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

But it's so easy to blame "them", whoever "them" is...

Problem is, "them" is "us". No, I don't mean "us".

Old 09-28-2008, 09:43 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
But it's so easy to blame "them", whoever "them" is...

Problem is, "them" is "us". No, I don't mean "us".
What? You're not a CEO of a top financial firm with a multi-billion dollar parachute and severance package?

I'm so disillusioned.

(As for me, I'm Warren Buffet and don't need a parachute or severance package. You can be anyone you want to be, online.)

Old 09-28-2008, 09:44 AM   #12

(cross-posted from the poll thread...)

From the Post:

washingtonpost.com

Quote:
Firms participating in the bailout would be required to grant the government warrants to obtain nonvoting shares of stock, so taxpayers can benefit if the companies return to profitability.
I wonder how this relates to the outright purchase of the toxic waste on these companies' balance sheets.

Quote:
Meanwhile, House Republicans won a major victory, persuading negotiators to include a provision that would require the Treasury Department to create a federal insurance program that would guarantee banks and other firms against loss from any troubled asset, the official said.
OK, now I'm confused. You realize a loss when you sell a security for less than you bought it for. Until you sell it, your loss is only hypothetical. Does this mean that companies that participate in the reverse auction and sell their securities at a loss to the gov't can be made whole again?

Quote:
"Many of these assets still have significant underlying value, because the vast majority of people will eventually pay off their mortgages," President Bush said yesterday in his weekly radio address. "In other words, many of the assets the government would buy are likely to go up in price over time. This means that the government will be able to recoup much, if not all, of the original expenditure."
If this were true, there'd be an existing market for these securities.

Quote:
Of the $700 billion figure, House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-Md.) said: "Nobody believes that's going to be the final cost."
Ahhh...a little honesty. A refreshing change!
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 09:48 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
What? You're not a CEO of a top financial firm with a multi-billion dollar parachute and severance package?
Not even close...

Old 09-28-2008, 09:50 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Not even close...
Me either, but ssssh, don't tell anybody. They'll never figure it out.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:57 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

As time goes by, we hear more and more scary talk about the state of the economy. For example, Buffett saying "...biggest financial meltdown in American history." Which I take to mean: "worse than the great depression."

So I'm wondering if people are going to say "Is it really possible that the "government who can't shoot straight" is going to be able to solve this just by writing a check? I think I'll take my money out of the bank."

IOW, this delay of just a few days could undermine the effectiveness of the bailout.

Interesting times, huh?
Old 09-28-2008, 10:04 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
As time goes by, we hear more and more scary talk about the state of the economy. For example, Buffett saying "...biggest financial meltdown in American history." Which I take to mean: "worse than the great depression."

So I'm wondering if people are going to say "Is it really possible that the "government who can't shoot straight" is going to be able to solve this just by writing a check? I think I'll take my money out of the bank."

IOW, this delay of just a few days could undermine the effectiveness of the bailout.

Interesting times, huh?
If the bail-out is going to be subject to zero oversight, as has been proposed, then the government can rescue all the banks it wants. You're right, though, because there are so many related and interwoven consequences.

It seems to me that eventually this could lead to staggering levels of inflation, but let's just be ostriches and hide our heads in the sand.

Summary of Draft Proposal
Old 09-28-2008, 10:15 AM   #17

Summary of Draft Proposal

Here is a Summary of the tentative Proposal of the taxpayer Bail-Out:

Summary of the Draft Proposal To Rescue U.S. Financial Markets - WSJ.com

--Henry David Thoreau
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:20 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire Soon View Post
Here is a Summary of the tentative Proposal of the taxpayer Bail-Out:

Summary of the Draft Proposal To Rescue U.S. Financial Markets - WSJ.com
Since I don't subscribe to the WSJ (or anything else online with paid subscription) I couldn't read the article. However, I could read the following comment by someone who did:

Quote:
This is outrageous! At the very end it is thrown in that he gov't will be able to reduce interest and principal of people that took loans they had no business raking. So know I have to pay for their mistake! I acted responsibly and didn't over extend myself but know I pay!
If what he said is true, then I am outraged as well.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:30 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I think it's the biggest in terms of $$, such as they are today, but I'd like to see an analysis based on inflation-adjusted amounts or % of GDP. I suspect that what we're seeing now is is a tiny blip next to the S&L crisis or the Depression or the banking crises of 1907.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:38 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I think it's the biggest in terms of $$, such as they are today, but I'd like to see an analysis based on inflation-adjusted amounts or % of GDP. I suspect that what we're seeing now is is a tiny blip next to the S&L crisis or the Depression or the banking crises of 1907.
I think you are right.

Politicians who will be up for re-election shortly must be persuaded to back the plan, if it is to be adopted. They are concerned because the American public is not "sold" on it, yet. So, they are reluctant to back this bailout plan and are concerned about losing votes.

Consequently, it is to the best interest of Paulson, Bernancke, and others such as Buffet who back the plan to scare the public a little so politicians will come on board and the plan will be passed.