Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Text of FOMC Announcement from Wednesday
Old 03-23-2007, 09:18 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Text of FOMC Announcement from Wednesday

The following is the text of the Federal Reserve's decision on interest rates released Wednesday, Mar. 21

"The Federal Open Market Committee decided today to keep its target for the federal funds rate at 5-1/4%.

Recent indicators have been mixed and the adjustment in the housing sector is ongoing. Nevertheless, the economy seems likely to continue to expand at a moderate pace over coming quarters.

Recent readings on core inflation have been somewhat elevated. Although inflation pressures seem likely to moderate over time, the high level of resource utilization has the potential to sustain those pressures.

In these circumstances, the Committee's predominant policy concern remains the risk that inflation will fail to moderate as expected. Future policy adjustments will depend on the evolution of the outlook for both inflation and economic growth, as implied by incoming information.

Voting for the FOMC monetary policy action were: Ben S. Bernanke, Chairman; Timothy F. Geithner, Vice Chairman; Thomas M. Hoenig; Donald L. Kohn; Randall S. Kroszner; Cathy E. Minehan; Frederic S. Mishkin; Michael H. Moskow; William Poole; and Kevin M. Warsh."

As soon as this meeting was over and the announcement made, the Dow etc. shot up, closing strongly higher. What about this announcement sounds bullish to you? It says that inflation pressures are there (as we know from other recent data), and it says that although housing is weak, it is not weak enough to scare us into doing something. So why is that seen as bullish?

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Text of FOMC Announcement from Wednesday
Old 03-23-2007, 09:40 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Inflation may be increasing. Housing may be a problem. But "nevertheless, the economy seems likely to continue to expand at a moderate pace over coming quarters."

The headlines read that this FOMC language leads one to believe there's a chance of rate cuts going forward that could boost businesses and spur on the economy.

I read it as "we're doing nothing today and we'll do something in the future when the information we receive indicates it's time to do something".
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:47 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

It wasn't what was in the statement, it is what was missing. Specifically, no statement that further tightening may be required. That means that the Fed isn't planning on jacking rates in t he face of a housing implosion.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:56 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
It wasn't what was in the statement, it is what was missing. Specifically, no statement that further tightening may be required. That means that the Fed isn't planning on jacking rates in t he face of a housing implosion.
What's "not said" is MORE important than "what's said", when it comes to the Fed..........

I think it's pretty evident if the numbers stay in line the Fed will CUT rates by .25-.50 by years-end............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 10:43 AM   #5

"Future policy adjustments will depend on the evolution of the outlook for both inflation and economic growth, as implied by incoming information" this is essentially the same message which has been used previously and it seems clear to me. i do think the markets tend to read a bit too much into the summary statements.
d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:00 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan

I think a simple translation might be something like this:
"We're not sure what happening so we are holding firm until the future starts to happen."

-Crashing real estate = lower rates
-Hot economy = raise rates
-Both at once = how do I know?
Old 03-23-2007, 11:14 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Or

Slowing economy
crashing housing market
Inflation rising
Mwsinron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:20 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwsinron
Slowing economy
crashing housing market
Inflation rising
That's the situation that would be a conundrum for the Fed. I think that only happens if China and India really overheat. In that case, I think the Chinese would allow the Yuan t o rise against the USD and solve much of the problem in short order. But it might not be fun in the short term.

- George Orwell

Old 03-23-2007, 11:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
That's the situation that would be a conundrum for the Fed.
That *is* the current conundrum for the Fed, IMO. Inflation is staying above their target, but they know that further tightening would be the death of the economy. They are stuck.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:31 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Isn't this the conundrum the Fed found itself in during the late 70's early 80's? And at the time their choice to raise rates was howled at, but looking back it was considered a wise move, yes? So Bernake's true colors may be shown in the coming months if this trend of inflation up/economy down continues...
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:44 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
Isn't this the conundrum the Fed found itself in during the late 70's early 80's? And at the time their choice to raise rates was howled at, but looking back it was considered a wise move, yes? So Bernake's true colors may be shown in the coming months if this trend of inflation up/economy down continues...
Who knows, but my guess is that Big Ben is as far from Paul Volcker as Mel Gibson is from Sir Laurence Olivier. If housing gets worse, we get lower interest rates. They will then cheat as best they can on the CPI with hedonics, but the foreigners may kick the stuffing out of the US$. Once cuts begin, look for new lows on the US$ index and a steepening yield curve.

ha
Old 03-23-2007, 11:50 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Who knows, but my guess is that Big Ben is as far from Paul Volcker as Mel Gibson is from Sir Laurence Olivier. If housing gets worse, we get lower interest rates. They will then cheat as best they can on the CPI with hedonics, but the foreigners may kick the stuffing out of the US$. Once cuts begin, look for new lows on the US$ index and a steepening yield curve.

ha
Sounds good to me. Bank stocks and mortgage REITs will kick butt if that happens.

- George Orwell

Old 03-23-2007, 11:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
Not even close. The market was way ahead of the Fed in those days. Inflation was double digit. Mortgage rates in 1980 were 14%. There was no liquidity. Real interest rates were negative (even before taxes). No one wanted to lend money. Savers were losing money to inflation. Actually, the Fed tightening was fairly-well received, even though it contributed to a deep recession in the early 80's. People knew it was necessary to ring inflation out of the economy. The Fed has a lot more room to maneuver today.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:15 PM   #14

Here's the latest market prediction on fed rates:

After the announcement, the odds for a cut went up to 30%, but traders are already rethinking that idea.

link
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 01:00 PM   #15

i think people are reading too much into it. i don't think they see a need to raise rates, but i don't see them lowering rates anytime soon like the stock market is thinking. only if there is a real housing meltdown will they lower rates in the face of rising inflation.

if they let all those people foreclose in the 1990's, they will do it again. people seem to think it's the fed's job to bail them out of their stupid decisions
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote