The 4% article that started it all?

I like it when old threads get re-visited. For one thing, we get to see how the personalities posting and the tenor of the board has changed over time.

Also many people like this guy were right, at least for a while, but were dismissed or at times even treated rudely. I think they do a service when they return to point out that at least in the intermediate time frame a lot of us emporers were running around naked.

It is actually ignorant to pretend that there is an answer to the problem of funding a long retirement. Maybe having our noses rubbed in poop might help us understand this idea.

Ha

I like it when old threads get re-visited. For one thing, we get to see how the personalities posting and the tenor of the board has changed over time.

Also many people like this guy were right, at least for a while, but were dismissed or at times even treated rudely.
This is true, but I think the ones that were being "treated rudely" were more often than not chiding the rest of us as blind morons for not seeing what was "obviously" coming ahead -- not just being bearish. These are the ones who were sometimes shouted down.

And to derive enjoyment and schadenfreude from the broken retirement dreams of people who disagreed with you is still a rather telling statement about personal character.

Also many people like this guy were right, at least for a while, but were dismissed or at times even treated rudely. I think they do a service when they return to point out that at least in the intermediate time frame a lot of us emporers were running around naked.

It is actually ignorant to pretend that there is an answer to the problem of funding a long retirement. Maybe having our noses rubbed in poop might help us understand this idea.

Ha

I'm waiting for the real estate(landlord types) to get some respect. Plus the 'more pure' straight index 60/40, 70/30 total index mixes have been examined on other forums taking out 4% index adjusted every year and show some puny/shall we say chewy results depending on the start year selected.

Norwegian widow dividend wise plus varying take out(aka cut spending) helped.

Theoretical purity is great spreadsheet wise - but a little sin among friends can really stretch the retirement dollar and is kinda fun. :whistle:

heh heh heh - plus living long enough for early SS. :flowers:

Fred, looks like you've returned to the forum after a five year hiatus to do a little axe grinding. You're are a little too late - CFB and Hyper have moved on and no longer post here.
Only a few posts and five years apart. That has to be a record in both communications discipline and at holding a grudge...

I dunno, I ER'd December 2002 following the dumb and simpleton approach of a diversified 60/40 allocation. Maybe balance is a bad word these days but the fact is, into my 7th year of ER, following a standard (actually 3.8% WD rate) and into the greatest stock/housing decline after the Great Depression, the pile is still bigger than when I retired. So exactly, what is the problem with picking an asset allocation you can live with and living with it?

I dunno, I ER'd December 2002 following the dumb and simpleton approach of a diversified 60/40 allocation. Maybe balance is a bad word these days but the fact is, into my 7th year of ER, following a standard (actually 3.8% WD rate) and into the greatest stock/housing decline after the Great Depression, the pile is still bigger than when I retired. So exactly, what is the problem with picking an asset allocation you can live with and living with it?

Pssst - what's your portfolio cut - SEC yield wise? Eh?

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

heh heh heh - and yes that's a Norwegian widow joke. And lest we forget:

pssst Wellesley = 5.69% SEC yield as of 3/13/09. :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO: :flowers: Agile, mobile and hostile, more than one way to skin a cat, yadda, yadda. Balance and defense is good.

Well, I probably haven't done as well as Wellesley. From my ER date (1/1/03) according to Quicken my rate of return is 4% thru yesterday. How accurate is Quicken? Dunno

Fred, looks like you've returned to the forum after a five year hiatus to do a little axe grinding. You're are a little too late - CFB and Hyper have moved on and no longer post here.

I thought maybe OAP had dropped by for a visit... :whistle:

One thing that is really worthwhile in this thread is Intercst's reminder of the potential for inflation with the Dominguez story. No matter what there always is risk and only luck will make you a perfect timer.

People were wrong to accuse people of wearing tin foil hats. But it is also wrong to gloat.

Wrong on several counts. When the overall market is at multiples not seen since 1929, when tech companies trade at 50-100 times earnings, when you can launch an IPO for a company that has no revenues- no sales, any rational person would head for the exit. I happily retired at 51 and have no regrets at all. I shared my research and conclusions with anyone who would listen for 5 minutes. To my knowledge only one did.

As a matter of fact I believe I referenced the relevant article from the Journal of Financial Planning here. Well I learned a valuable lesson from all this myself. People simply believe what they want to regardless of the evidence, history, or professional opinion. Don't waste your time trying to changes their minds, you'll only annoy them- most of the time. Rather sad really. Fred

People simply believe what they want to regardless of the evidence, history, or professional opinion. Don't waste your time trying to changes their minds, you'll only annoy them- most of the time.
If you truly believe what you say, why are you posting here again after a five year silence - simply to annoy people?

Let us read carefully please. I did say MOST of the time, yes? Well whatever. Think I'll just go back to enjoying my retirement and not spending time posting. Much too late anyhow.

The whole fiasco reminds me of the joke about poker players. As they sit down the dealer says: Now if we all play real carefully, we can all win a little.
As we can see the "dealers" (Wallstreet, et al) have no intention of seeing their lifestyles impacted by the mess they have created. Bonuses! 1.4 million dollars on remodeling their offices. Fred Ormondroyd

Back
Top Bottom