The 6 Most Common Retirement Income Sources

I'm surprised annuities are so prevalent - advisors must be working overtime.

Employer-funded 'defined-contribution/delayed vestment' annuity products used to be a fairly popular 'retirement benefit' not too many years ago. I have one I'll start drawing from next year (not big $$, but it's something).

income sources

60 year old
Pulling 100% from taxable accounts

Considering Annuity at 65 which would provide the following:

$600K annuity providing $60K per year

Seems like a solid guaranteed return due to higher interest rates.

Thoughts?

I'm surprised annuities are so prevalent - advisors must be working overtime.

When they say "annuities" I wonder exactly what they mean. There are many types. Probably the most straightforward type is Single Premium Immediate Annuity which means you plunk down some of your retirement savings for a monthly payment.

A sort of variation on this theme is the old SPDA (single premium deferred annuity) (you plunk down your retirement savings and it grows at some rate - guaranteed and/or varialbe.) and THEN if you chose, you can have it pay out as an annuity by the current rates.

A similar vehicle is the MYGA (Multi Year Guaranteed Annuity.) In essence, this is a CD offered by an insurance company. AFAIK you can annuitize the proceeds at a later date - but most people take money from the vehicle just like a CD (though you can take at specified intervals over time.)

Then you get into the "free dinner" annuities which have more fees than Carter has little liver pills.:LOL: They supposedly "participate" in the markets and you "can't lose" as you have a guaranteed floor and you "win" if the markets go up.

So, I wonder what annuities we're talking about here.

Originally Posted by Midpack

• ~100% Soc Sec (not actually but almost)
  • 87% Personal Retirement Accts (nest egg accumulated assets)
  • 22% Pensions (and continuing to decline)
  • 14% Annuities
  • 13% Part Time Job Income
  • 7% Rental Income
DW is seven years younger, but had much-higher six-figure income, the way our two corporations were set up. So I took SS at age 62, & upgraded to half of hers when she took SS at age 70. So, income, from high to low:

• Part-time j@b income = 52%
  • Personal retirement acounts income = 22%
  • Rental income = 14%
  • Social Security income = 12%
DW wasn't planning on w@rking, but former employer didn't listen, & she had to go back & train her replacement. That happened a second time, so she's still going back half-time, two days a week, with a contract that pays her twice what she was earning, full time. All environmental law stuff that employer can't ignore. I still do some computer consulting, most remotely, but DW is the one bringing in the big bucks! Haven't had to tap into our nest egg, except for required distributions, & a few big "fun" things.

DW is seven years younger, but had much-higher six-figure income, the way our two corporations were set up. So I took SS at age 62, & upgraded to half of hers when she took SS at age 70. So, income, from high to low:

• Part-time j@b income = 52%
  • Personal retirement acounts income = 22%
  • Rental income = 14%
  • Social Security income = 12%
DW wasn't planning on w@rking, but former employer didn't listen, & she had to go back & train her replacement. That happened a second time, so she's still going back half-time, two days a week, with a contract that pays her twice what she was earning, full time. All environmental law stuff that employer can't ignore. I still do some computer consulting, most remotely, but DW is the one bringing in the big bucks! Haven't had to tap into our nest egg, except for required distributions, & a few big "fun" things.

Heh, heh, I bet it feels good to "gauge" the old company since now, they need YOU instead of the other way around. W*rking half time for full pay has a very nice ring to it - though I'd rather be FIRE'd.:cool:

My number one source for me is annuities I've been collecting monthly for over 12 years.

SS and RMD's are next and are about an equal amount. I only take the required minimum from the RMD.

Next would be withdrawals from high yield savings accounts only in months I need it to cover a large bill like once a year property tax or a higher than normal credit card bill cuz I got carried away and bought a lot of stuff :dance:

Heh, heh, I bet it feels good to "gauge" the old company since now, they need YOU instead of the other way around. W*rking half time for full pay has a very nice ring to it - though I'd rather be FIRE'd.:cool:

She doesn't mind getting out of the house for 8 hours a week, & I get to take a nap! I never thought they paid her enough, anyway, so not gouging, as much as catching up...after 27 years!

Pension, SS and a small amount of investments.

She doesn't mind getting out of the house for 8 hours a week, & I get to take a nap! I never thought they paid her enough, anyway, so not gouging, as much as catching up...after 27 years!

Anyway: Good for her!:)

Just thought it was interesting, some a little surprising to me.
  • ~100% Soc Sec (not actually but almost) YES
  • 87% Personal Retirement Accts (nest egg accumulated assets) YES
  • 22% Pensions (and continuing to decline) YES (SMALL)
  • 14% Annuities NO
  • 13% Part Time Job Income NO
  • 7% Rental Income NO
https://youtu.be/USiqwbJK9vs

Cheers!

I'm surprised annuities are so prevalent - advisors must be working overtime. Equally surprised part-time is not higher given all the press about retirement crisis, dismal average savings, blah blah blah.

I was thinking the same. :)

Deferred annuities turned out to be a good deal for my in-laws who bought some modest ones ~30 years ago when FIL retired but didn't start withdrawing until 20+ years later.

Deferred annuities turned out to be a good deal for my in-laws who bought some modest ones ~30 years ago when FIL retired but didn't start withdrawing until 20+ years later.

Yeah, mine have been paying 5% all these years. Paltry compared to equities (in aggregate) but pretty good during years when CDs were at 2%. AND they're steady. MYGAs now can substitute for CDs if you are careful and don't need the money for a while. Oh, and I converted my SPDAs to Roths. YMMV

income streams

4 years in and consider all accounts as part of retirement nest egg

SS YES but not for a few more years
Portfolio Income YES 30% of expenses
Rental Income YES 70% of expenses
Pensions NO
Annuities NO
Part Time Job NO
Inheritance/Trust NO
Sched-C Business Income NO

4 years in and consider all accounts as part of retirement nest egg

SS YES but not for a few more years
Portfolio Income YES 30% of expenses
Rental Income YES 70% of expenses
Pensions NO
Annuities NO
Part Time Job NO
Inheritance/Trust NO
Business Income NO

Do you have a rental manager who takes care of rent, repairs, emergencies, keeping the rental occupied, expelling bad tenants, etc.?

If you are doing this yourself, then I respectfully submit that you have a part time j*b.

My sources in 2023 - spouse's SS, I'll draw mine at 70 and change hers to spousal benefit 7%
Rental partnership passive investment w/K1 31%
Part-time job 11%
Retirement accounts 50%

Last edited:
Do you have a rental manager who takes care of rent, repairs, emergencies, keeping the rental occupied, expelling bad tenants, etc.?

If you are doing this yourself, then I respectfully submit that you have a part time j*b.

Yes I use PM and a handyman.
All I do is approve and pay. :dance:

Age 58, FIREd 3 years ago, MFJ.
Pension, Taxable brokerage, NG 567(b), part-time w*rk.

Yeah, mine have been paying 5% all these years. Paltry compared to equities (in aggregate) but pretty good during years when CDs were at 2%. AND they're steady. MYGAs now can substitute for CDs if you are careful and don't need the money for a while. Oh, and I converted my SPDAs to Roths. YMMV
The 5% includes return of principal I assume, so not yielding 5%?

Considering Annuity at 65 which would provide the following:

$600K annuity providing $60K per year

Seems like a solid guaranteed return due to higher interest rates.

Thoughts?

What for 10 years Certain? Certainly not single or Joint life.

Here are the current rates, which are likely to be the highest and will most likely be lower in 5 years. NYL is not renowned for their high rates, security yes, Rates, Not so much.

Attachments

• Capture1.jpg
    Capture1.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 31
If you broaden "personal retirement accounts" to mean the typical taxable accounts which are not part of an IRA or employer-sponsored plan (401k/403b/457b), then I am in that category, and only that one, for the last 15 years. I share Free866's hesitation to do this.

I recently turned 60, so I am eligible to take money out of my tIRA. This is the first of my "reinforcements" which are part of the overall ER plan I set up when I ERed at 45, 15 years ago. My goal was to make it to age ~60 intact, something I easily accomplished. The other reinforcements are SS and a frozen company pension.

Back
Top Bottom